German Wirehaired Puppy - Biting A$$Hole

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
My lab Odin almost two now 9C9D71D7-1417-45C4-8FD8-C1F8EAB48A33.jpegwas this way I tried all the tricks nothing worked even used my sure fire method biting him back🥰 he loved that.....he is now 99% broken of this trait so stay positive dont tolerate the bad behavior and instill you are the pack leader good luck it will get better

MattB

WKR
I'd stop him immediately, roll him onto his back, sternly tell him "no" and force eye contact. One his demeanor has changed, I'd go back to playing bit with a more mellow tone.

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
What or said. IMO this pup doesn’t recognize your dominance either. You can be alpha or he will. The dog doesn’t care as long as they know who is. My females have always been worse than my males.

WCB

WKR
If you watch older dogs play with pups they basically do what everyone is telling you to do. When the pup gets out of hand or the older dog is done they will "go after" or "punish" the pup by snapping or pinning them down. They don't always necessarily cause pain but they scare the snot out of the younger dog. We've used the pin down method and also grabbed them by the muzzle or side of the head and pinned their head down (almost exactly what dogs do to pups). Has worked for us not only for biting but for general lack of respect of our space.

AKG

FNG
I'm on my third draht, the first one when I got him home as an 8 week old puppy started acting flat out nasty like I hadn't seen in a puppy before and I've had quite a few. Tasmanian devil mixed with a wolverine was an appropriate description I found on another forum. It sounds like you are on the right track with yours now; making it bite its own lip, pinned on its back, and if needed back to the crate for a time out. Mine turned into a very affectionate attentive dog. I don't wrestle or play fight with mine like I have with labs, work on obedience. If it starts getting too fractious command down or work on other obedience commands. Good luck I really enjoy the breed but they can be intense at times. The two I currently have are pictured.KIMG0693.JPGKIMG0092.JPG

Stalker69

WKR
Rolled up news paper across the head. If that don’t work, hit a little harder with it until it “ gets his attention”. He is establishing dominance, and sounds like he’s winning. You have to show him who’s boss or it won’t end.

TheGDog

WKR
If ever a dog you're raising lays teeth on you in a way you don't like. Such as a lashing-out because they are unhappy with something you're currently doing to them, for example... you've GOT to make sure you pin them down and put the fear of your wrath into them! Pin them down and very angrily/loud/growly/like a boss/ you tell them "THAT IS NOO!!" with also maybe a bit of an overbearing squeeze to that neck while you're doing it. I know it *sounds* harsh, but it's not. It establishes your dominance in the relationship and sets them straight. Also they'll end up being a happier dog too because they are being strongly led by you, thus they will know they can clue-in to the seriousness or danger present in a situation if they look over and see that daddy's body language is showing tension, they'll know it's serious. Conversely... something that might make them leary... they'll also read you and see "Okay... well.. Daddy doesn't seem to be alarmed by this, so I guess I can relax a little."

Biggest thing in ALL of dog training though. You must BE CONSISTENT! Execute the correction every time it is required. Give the praise/reward whenever they execute only exactly as you want them to execute. And only when the execute the particular cmd you've issued.

A thing you need to think about is that if you don't do this particular correction, what can happen is that somewhere down the line somebodies kid, who hasn't been taught boundaries yet, will overstep their bounds or not read your dog's body language right and do something that makes the dog nervous some day. And if you've not done this correcting, they could easily bite that dumb kid who's doing things they shouldn't be doing.

BTW.. with regard to when you begin fetch training over longer distances... if you find that your dog runs out there to fetch it fine... but then on the way back gets distracted and maybe drops it and doesn't return to you... I learned to hop a ways to one side for a bit, then a ways to another side a bit while still doing the hitch-pitched "come on!" encouragement. You being a moving target tends to make them keep their focus on you so they don't get distracted. Because you're keeping your motions/position changing in an erractic every-changing way, so they have to pay attention. ALSO... first do fetch inside your house in a hallway, so no distractions. And DO NOT give the treat until they've placed the item exactly in your hand as you want! THEY WILL try to short-change you in terms of the return! If they do... take another step backwards and shake that extended opened hand repeating "Give!-Give!".

And whenever your dog executes the task the way you desire... you have to make a big deal out of it with high-pitched praise-voice along with the treat. When they get good at doing it consistently... ya start not giving the treats sometimes. 90/10, 80/20, 70/30 you get the idea. But ALWAYS with the excited high-pitched praise voice and rewarding physical affection! AND... in the beginning... ALWAYS give BOTH a verbal cmd together with a hand-cmd gesture for each different trick you're wanting them to execute, and then when they get good and consistent, you start doing just voice... then just hand. Same thing back off the treats after awhile. But always making a big deal when they execute right.

And if the biting you're wanting to deal with is more of a play-biting, rough-housing nature that's not out of angry aggression... if it's your hand... then jam it down into their mouth so as to try to gag/choke them with it a bit. Real damn quick they want that hand out! ;)

Oh!... also...whenever you're doing a correction/reprimand... if you need immediate compliance also remember to concurrently use a loud abrupt staccato blurty kind of No-sound. Such as a loud "AAHHT!"

Very quick they learn that means Daddy does not like what you are doing this very moment and you need to stop it immediately or there will be consequences. (Remember how I talked about being consistent?)

And whenever they start getting to be lazy in execution your training routines. Revert back to walking on the 6-ft lead. And when you get to the curb, initially do a purposeful step-step with your feet then execute the "Sit!" cmd. And make sure that damn butt is all the way touching the concrete! And if they raise it off that concrete, at all, before you desire it? BAM... hit'm with the No-sound... followed be re-giving the "Sit!" cmd again.

Make sure they don't begin moving until YOU say it's ok to do so. When they get good at being consistent, you can check'm on it by remaining silent and stepping one of your feet off the curb.. then bringing it back up... and if they tried to begin moving.. the No-sound, along with re-giving that "Sit!" cmd.

Real soon, you just come up to the curb and pause, and they know exactly what that means and what they are supposed to do. Because you're consistent with them, every single time.

Sorry about the long-winded rant here. Kinda strolling down memory lane hear a bit with this topic. Last month had to put down my Rat Terrier of 15yrs. She was soo damn smart! And she was attached to my hip! RIP Brizzy.
gary-001 - CROPD.jpg

Opah

WKR
My wife would bite them back, grab the side of their lip and not let go until the pup really whined.
Worked for big and little pups. Usually only took a couple of times to get the point

Mosby

WKR
I just lost one of my Vizsla's that was full of hell as a pup. The most difficult puppy I ever dealt with. She was the alpha dog and the smartest dog I ever had. My wife would call me at work and tell me what that "bitch" just did. It normally involved biting something or someone in the house. Sometimes both.

She died two days before her 8th birthday from cancer in May. We miss her more than words can express. Enjoy the pup and the process. Stay patient and it will pass faster than you will wish it had.

qwerksc

WKR
Germans built it to kill everything that moves, genetics. I kid, Puppy being puppy, show him who the Boss is, make sure everyone, especially the kids, know this, he is the low man, but looking for his spot in the pack.
My little dog will still try to eat me, he is three now and is a fn badass, can be a sht sometimes, but they get better.

Bob6180

FNG
I have 2 GSPs. Making the bite their own lips really helped. My younger one was a real land shark. When he really started chomping down, I’d shove my fingers down his throat and make him gag. Took him until the 3rd time to catch on. He was pretty good after that.
Good luck!