Get into shape without the gym

fatlander

WKR
Fasted hiking with a backpack builds not only endurance, more importantly distinguishing mental exhaustion from physical exhaustion helped develop resilience

You exercise the body to train the mind. Most people will never find out what physical exhaustion is because they quit when it gets a little uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Training for endurance base takes a long time...like training for a marathon, longer and longer hikes, month by month. A couple nice aspects of training with your backpack...you get to fine-tune adjustments, and also toughen up your feet over the months and months of backpacking.
first_ram.jpg

*zap*

WKR
I think a lot of people underestimate the benefits of just walking @ 3 mph, unweighted and on the road for one hour+ and done on an almost daily basis 12 months a year. LISS is a very good basis for an exercise program and can really improve your aerobic capacity.

Fasted LISS is also very beneficial for body fat loss and training the body to utilize and store fats within the muscles for production of atp.

Last edited:

hogstrong

FNG
The biggest problem I have with training for backpack hunting is accustoming my body to steep and rocky terrain under load. I struggle to incorporate this in a timeeffective manner. IME it is one of the hardest things to scale up compared to aerobic or anaerobic conditioning or strength. You can only train for five miles steady ascent on an incline under load if you are actually doing this on a regular basis, simple as that. Squats, sprints and flatland rucking have limits

Cxs03g

FNG
It’s definitely an investment but gotcha something that you can routinely use at home. I bought an adjustable bench and weight set, and just those two things made a huge difference in my workouts.