Get into shape without the gym

What does everyone do to get into hunting shape without the gym? I personally absolutely hate going to the gym, so I’m looking for alternatives to get into better shape for packing meat out and hiking at higher elevations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

ruck hikes, running, lifting heavy stuff....a set of home kettle bells works well, very versatile for functional strength, and doesn't take up much room.

NstihL

FNG
About 3 months before the hunting season, I typically start doing a couple hikes a week in the 2-5 mile range with a 30#-50# pack. I also do leg workouts one day a week (squats, lunges, step-ups).

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
Since i have limited availability to a gym, I have started doing home workouts. You would be surprised how many lifts you can do with a tire, concrete blocks and sand bags. Add in some hills if you have some and let your imagination come up with hard ways to move weight.

The blocks increase grip strength since there are no obvious places to hold onto. Tires are awkward with the weight being in a circle and if you grab one end, there is a lot of weight away from your body. Sand bags aren't rigid and the weight distribution really makes your stability muscles kick in, more than a weight bar that is balanced.

manitou1

WKR
Hike, mountain bike, pushups, sit ups at home. Do your steps/stairs with a loaded pack. Running if it is your game. Kettle bells, barbells, dumbells are cheaper than a gym membership.
Eliptical at home is one of my go-tos also.

Daily 10-15 minute session of 4-5 different body weight and/or sandbag exercises (pull ups, push ups, box jumps, sandbag step ups, sandbag get ups, sandbag squats) with light cardio between each set (200-300 yd jog around the house or 100 jump rope reps if weather is bad).

Daily 1 mile walk with 50-75 lb backpack.

Last edited:

i work exterior construction. so that helps a ton. ladders. heavy lifting. running in addition to that helps even more

Felix40

WKR
I bought a rogue bar and bumper plates like 4 years ago. Its a bit of an investment at first but it has saved me hundreds on gym memberships. I used two beams on my porch to hold the bar for squats and made a simple pullup bar. You could add in more stuff but splitting/cutting firewood and running help too.

Simple and effective.

Attachments

• D70BBEAD-743C-4B95-B007-727781F6551C.jpeg
    D70BBEAD-743C-4B95-B007-727781F6551C.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
I bought a rogue bar and bumper plates like 4 years ago. Its a bit of an investment at first but it has saved me hundreds on gym memberships. I used two beams on my porch to hold the bar for squats and made a simple pullup bar. You could add in more stuff but splitting/cutting firewood and running help too.

Simple and effective.

Beautiful workout site Felix!

If you bring your weights to the floor I would suggest a piece of horse stall mat under each bumper plate to protect that wood decking.

nastynick

FNG
Not sure what your home or work schedule might be like but here are things I do with mine, I work from home for what it’s worth.

I walk my kids in a stroller in the morning with my pack on and weight 50-80lbs.
I cut my grass with pack on.
Brute Force sandbag w/ 50lbs, I bring with me whenever I take my kids to the park and exercise there.
Kettlebell and Rogue Monster Band (green) I do a lot of home kettlebell and what I call aggression exercises throughout my work day, 20 mins here and there at high intensity. A lot of axe chops, rotational exercises, single arm farmer carry. Play hockey once a week all year. Anything intense and different to keep the body guessing.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Swim a mile everyday if you have water near you. Get a slackline for strengthening all the stability muscles... Run. I like my gym membership for the pool/sauna though.

twall13

WKR
Trail running 3 times per week. Heavy pack hike once a week and an occasional mountain bike ride. Lots of pushups, pullups, planks, jumping lunges and air squats. Burpees are a good all around movement to throw in on occasion as well. I try to increase intensity and duration a bit before the season and it's been working well for me. Besides my pack, the only special equipment I need is a pullup bar. I'm thinking about buying a sandbag or some kettlebells as well but haven't gone there yet. I don't like the gym but I can start a trail right out my front door and being outside is more my flavor. Find what works for you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk