Get into shape without the gym

GLB

WKR
Get a few Kettle Bells and sandbags made for working out (Brute Force) and learn proper lifting/carrying exercises. Do exercises that work the core and whole body (doing concentration curls will not get you up the mountain) Ruck/weighted pack hikes.

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Get a few Kettle Bells and sandbags made for working out (Brute Force) and learn proper lifting/carrying exercises. Do exercises that work the core and whole body (doing concentration curls will not get you up the mountain) Ruck/weighted pack hikes.

Wrong. Concentration curls help when your biceps are popping during your after kill pictures. :)

sizzle403

FNG
signing up for OCR's like the Spartan help keep me motivated to run outside. Burpees and lunges are so underrated! eventually you learn to enjoy them :)

Randle

WKR
I been building a 3 ft retaining wall then step up on it to install siding, then when I can't reach its up the ladder to the 12 ft peak for the siding. it's been a leg work out for sure, so bring on the elevation and deadfalls. I believe I am ready.

Shupe88

WKR
Start with 10 burpees, 10 air squats, 10 mountain climbers, 10 regular pushups, 10 flutter kicks, 10 wide pushups, 10 scissor kicks, 10 diamond pushups. 2 min break the start at 9. Work your way down to zero. 3 count on everything but burpees. Once you build strength and stamina move up and start at 12. It’s an ass kicker but it helps me stay in shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Coach Chris' rec for Ross Training is spot on. That dude is impressive in himself and also has a ton of ideas for on-the-cheap home gyms.

I'm in a new job so time's in short supply. Consequently, last year I adjusted my hunting. Slowed down, glassed more, focused on moving slowly and quietly. Still just as much fun, though nothing motivates you to get in shape by getting your a$5 handed to you in the field.

Does anyone incorporate push sleds like the prowler into their w/os? I used to. Wish I still had access to one.

Bubdog

FNG
Does anyone incorporate push sleds like the prowler into their w/os? I used to. Wish I still had access to one.
[/QUOTE]

I am going to attach TRX handles to my tire drag set up to make a push sled. Im sure I will not be able to push as much since shoulder stability will be involved but it will be better than nothing.

stump06

WKR
If anyone is looking for some cheap kettlebells I made some like this and they work really well

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
About 3 months before the hunting season, I typically start doing a couple hikes a week in the 2-5 mile range with a 30#-50# pack. I also do leg workouts one day a week (squats, lunges, step-ups).
Excellent advise, that's almost identical to my pre season workouts for elk out in Idaho

I am new to the hunting scene. I live in las vegas so yote hunting is year round and im using that as part of my work out routine. I go every weekend and when i go i take more than i need just to carry the extra weight. we usually take my buddies truck which is stock so we have a excuse to park fare and hike in a good ways usually about .5 miles each way and on multiple stands. during the week i live close to a mountain so i go hike that with a weighted pack and do home squats an other things.

jlh42581

WKR
Well I go to the gym 5 days a week to start but I also do other things.

I probably hit 90 air squats a day at the house. Shoot for 50 push-ups. Hike weekends, lunches and sometimes evening. If you can get your wife to go hike you can buy some preference points with her.

A high percentage of it though boils down to diet. I eat a lot of protein, low carbs. I'm 5'9" 200 and I wanted to recomp not diet. Eating 200 grams of protein a day is hard for me so I drink it. If you drink a lot of protein go look at Truenutrition. I order a ton.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Try the simple and sinister program from strong first. Kettlebell swings and Turkish getups.
I am just starting this and going to add in some hikes with the pack on and see how that goes.

I worked on a farm as a teenager and whenever the owner would see a jogger on the road he'd always say "I don't know why their trying to get healthy breathing all these car fumes and running for no reason, they should just buy a farm"
I always think the same thing when I see people paying for crossfit memberships so they can flip tires. LOL I'm like hey, if you get a job they will pay you silly. LOL

Working physical work wears you down. I work construction, and nobody is in good shape from doing their job. The only ones that keep in shape are the people that workout recreational. My dad used to talk this BS to me when I was young. “Lifting weights is a waist of energy. I have plenty of work for you to do.” He’s 67 and has been in poor shape for years. Now that he has the time to do the things that he wants do, he isn’t in the condition to do them anymore.

I use a hiking trail that i have enhanced with a few features to break up the mundane walking with a weighted pack.
Along the way are several old stumps from past logging that make for good step ups.
There are also a couple of log butts left so I found one suitable for a deadlift by flipping it end for end
The lower portion runs near a road edge so I moved a couple stones trailside to use for overhead lifts and one 60 lb'er that i deadlift and walk distance with before setting down slowly with a deep squat
Another spot there is a deadfall just off trail side that i have to lunge back and forth over and another leaner to duckwalk under. Another tree branch makes for a spot to do dips and pushups
The viewpoint gets a variety of exercises, try holding the plank or sideplank with a pack!

Need some snow to melt though, todays walk was just some post holing in 2 ft of spring snow, good for the joints :)

Bubdog

FNG
I try to once weekly get in a weighted carry workout in my driveway. I do medleys/ giant sets of waiters carry, sandbag bear hug carry, sandbag shoulder carry, suitcase carry, and farmers carry. I have attached a photo showing the farmers carry implement I built. I feel these workouts have made my core immensely stronger.

Attachments

• 4B3F3CE6-3F02-400D-BFA6-CDDCCBA80D89.jpeg
    4B3F3CE6-3F02-400D-BFA6-CDDCCBA80D89.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 66

PaulieNY

WKR
Run.

Cycle

I do a lot of firewood processing in late summer.

Skip the hydraulic splitter and I run a maul. As much as I can and hand stack.