Get into shape without the gym

Jkuhn22

FNG
Being from the Midwest, elevation is a killer and impossible to over train for. I have been to Montana the last 2 years, and have been in good to pretty good shape heading into the hunt. Running 8 miles, lifting, 50 lb pack hikes & 50 mile bike rides. The key to training is doing long workouts to build endurance. 2 Hour hikes and 2 hour bike rides are a big help. I think I am going to add ankle weights to my hikes. If my legs are lighter than when I trained, it should be less work for my body so therefore less oxygen needed.

I’m sure this has been states already. Stairs with a moderately weighted pack on. Everything else is extra.

I'm following this ,, good suggestions by all! Might be a while before we see any gyms open

What does everyone do to get into hunting shape without the gym? I personally absolutely hate going to the gym, so I’m looking for alternatives to get into better shape for packing meat out and hiking at higher elevations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm 63 years old, and retired this year so more time.
I try to hike long (4-8 hour loop) at least twice a week.
I hike with a 60lb pack a shorter 1.5 hour loop about 3 times a week.
I also cut firewood, starting with 16 foot logs this time of year.
For me endurance is most important, so after snowmelts I backpack longer and longer trips.

Catahoula

WKR
Hike with pack and without, Stairs at home, use Bowtrainer left and right handed, yoga and stretching, ride mountain bike 3 days a week for 2-3 hour rides, calf lifts with pack, squats with pack, and watching my caloric intake to not get tubby. Speaking of losing weight, I’ve dropped 21lbs since February 24th.

mtneyez

FNG
Lift garage gym: snatch, c&j, squat, deadlifts, super set, circuits, body weight, air dyne, & various other torture devices. Weighted hikes up to 100 pounds. Progress starting now with 25 pounds. Mountain bike, surf, swim, and run up to 6 miles.

Bunkin

FNG
I'm working to get back into backpacking shape for the fall season starting about now. I used to be in the gym 4-6 days a week. But currently with job and family requirements I really have about an hour or hour and a half a day to work out. Does anyone have any recommendations for activities that will be best result for time related to back packing/mountain hunting? I am currently running a couple nights a week.

gexpro

WKR
i typically alternate work out and run days in a staggered pattern throughout the week to help my body recover. On the weekends i like to grab the pack and load up sand bags and hit the hills near my house. I increase the weight when the season closes in! also remember, junk in; junk out. good luck this season

Rock-o

WKR
I go on iFit hikes on my elliptical, 2 - 5 miles each, 3 times per week. Soon I'll do the same but add my weighted pack. At some point I'll need to increase the distance. Don't laugh, my average pace is a 13 minute mile on these hikes... a decent clip walking when factoring in incline and resistance.

Last edited:

MWBaker5

FNG
Just picked up a at home rowing machine. Really like it to break up the crossfit routine. Can get a great workout that is low impact. Some really good machines available that don't break the bank.

nkramer6

FNG
Hike, mountain bike, pushups, sit ups at home. Do your steps/stairs with a loaded pack. Running if it is your game. Kettle bells, barbells, dumbells are cheaper than a gym membership.
Eliptical at home is one of my go-tos also.

Stairs are key. They're about the most realistic replication of heading up the mountains.

nkramer6

FNG
Just picked up a at home rowing machine. Really like it to break up the crossfit routine. Can get a great workout that is low impact. Some really good machines available that don't break the bank.

Rowing Machines are a great way to get the entire body involved. I try to really focus on getting full extension and compression throughout the movement to maintain engagement of all the muscle groups

FlyGuy

WKR
I bought a bruteforce sandbag a while back, but during quarantine I discovered their Free training app. It has a great warm up, WOD, and bonus workout programmed everyday, with posted scores to bring out your competitive drive.

You can’t cheat the mountain

hogstrong

FNG
Fasted hiking with a backpack builds not only endurance, more importantly distinguishing mental exhaustion from physical exhaustion helped develop resilience