Get your team together

OP
zion zig zag
I got invited to return again this year with my original team. I’m assuming everyone from last year got invited to come back?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How did this go??? We’re you all just stacking when up or was it a lot tougher than you thought?

slick

WKR
I think I signed a NDA- or verbally committed to it, but ours didn't go to plan.
2 individuals dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. 1 couldn't get a doctors note signed (He was likely our most physically fit individual- sorry Clark ;) )
We were confronted with something like 12-14" of rain over a 3-4 day period at the start of the hunt.
We couldn't get to Plan A due to a torrential river, we were glaciered out, cliffed out, etc. you name it.

We ended up not seeing a single goat and were close to 25mi back in there. Ended up hunting a section of our Unit that we originally had wrote off from the get go. That being said there were some individuals that had a heck of a hunt and we'll leave it at that. PM for more info.

Clarktar

WKR
I think I signed a NDA- or verbally committed to it, but ours didn't go to plan.
2 individuals dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. 1 couldn't get a doctors note signed (He was likely our most physically fit individual- sorry Clark ;) )
We were confronted with something like 12-14" of rain over a 3-4 day period at the start of the hunt.
We couldn't get to Plan A due to a torrential river, we were glaciered out, cliffed out, etc. you name it.

We ended up not seeing a single goat and were close to 25mi back in there. Ended up hunting a section of our Unit that we originally had wrote off from the get go. That being said there were some individuals that had a heck of a hunt and we'll leave it at that. PM for more info.
I'd do it all over again just to see Coop hiking in his skivvies!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Etexag

FNG
I did the hunt last year and will be going back again. Should be fun. We drew a shit unit last year and did not have any goats. I like our unit for this year, but will be towards the end of the hunt.

OP
zion zig zag
Last year was a bust for my team. Our week to hunt was the week it dropped 15” + of snow, and got down to 15 below at night. The snow would’ve been fine, I can camp in the snow, but snow plus 15 below had me not really wanting to camp. Which left us to hike in 4-6 miles each morning (in deep snow) to get into the goat terrain. We still gave it a decent effort. Spotted what we thought may have been goats but in the end they were too far, in too rugged of cliffs to try to go after, especially given the ice and snow on the cliffs.

I’d go again, but between my son and myself we have 4 elk tags, two deer tags and a bear tag. So the fall and early winter is pretty much spoken for already. I hope you other guys get into them!

Etexag

FNG
Last year was a bust for my team. Our week to hunt was the week it dropped 15” + of snow, and got down to 15 below at night. The snow would’ve been fine, I can camp in the snow, but snow plus 15 below had me not really wanting to camp. Which left us to hike in 4-6 miles each morning (in deep snow) to get into the goat terrain. We still gave it a decent effort. Spotted what we thought may have been goats but in the end they were too far, in too rugged of cliffs to try to go after, especially given the ice and snow on the cliffs.

I’d go again, but between my son and myself we have 4 elk tags, two deer tags and a bear tag. So the fall and early winter is pretty much spoken for already. I hope you other guys get into them!
I had that happen to me on an elk hunt in Salmon. Snowed 15-20in and was -12 when we woke up to hunt. It made climbing and camping pretty tough. Worst part was sweating from the climbing and then my gloves would freeze stiff from the sweat. Rethinking my glove selection for this very reason. Not sure what will be better, probably wool or maybe mittens.

OP
zion zig zag
I had that happen to me on an elk hunt in Salmon. Snowed 15-20in and was -12 when we woke up to hunt. It made climbing and camping pretty tough. Worst part was sweating from the climbing and then my gloves would freeze stiff from the sweat. Rethinking my glove selection for this very reason. Not sure what will be better, probably wool or maybe mittens.
You have to do a glove system. Some lightweight fleece gloves for the hike and then some heavy gloves when you slow down. If your hands start sweating pull the gloves off. You can dump a lot of heat through your hands and head so those are easy places to vent to avoid overheating.

A wise man once told me that if you are warm when you start your hike, you're overdresed. You should be cold for the first 15-30 minutes.

Reactions: WRM