Getting a deck built for the home: I have a building inspection question if this is a violation?

xajoles

FNG
I've gotten about 5 estimates on getting my deck rebuilt and I've gotten prices ranging from $15K and all the way to $65K. And 3 of the companies that I've gotten estimates from said that the "Deck Ledger/Joist" thing needs to be "integrated/fastened" to the house Structural steel erection surveillance? Sorry, I don't really know the correct term for it, but I think that's why some of the estimates are so high...and the other 2 contractors said that they could just put a post/column there and fastened the deck onto that? Which is right? I don't want to do something that is against violation. Thanks!

Last edited:

Dunndm

WKR
I've gotten about 5 estimates on getting my deck rebuilt and I've gotten prices ranging from $15K and all the way to $65K. And 3 of the companies that I've gotten estimates from said that the "Deck Ledger/Joist" thing needs to be "integrated/fastened" to the house? Sorry, I don't really know the correct term for it, but I think that's why some of the estimates are so high...and the other 2 contractors said that they could just put a post/column there and fastened the deck onto that? Which is right? I don't want to do something that is against violation. Thanks!

I’m a contractor and do all outdoor living builds such as decks, porches, screen porches etc… send me a couple pictures of your deck and I’ll give you a ballpark estimate and what I would charge. If you really want I’ll send you my business page with all I have done. I’m a very reputable contractor, and I’ll at least tell you what I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Why wouldn't you attach it to the house? I am no deck pro, but have helped with a few and had my own, all attached to the house in some way.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
If it’s getting rebuilt how was the old deck? Attached to house or free floating.

SwiftShot

WKR
You dont attach it to a house if it is a mobile. That will cause problems on resale. You can do it unattached to a regular house but I would attach it myself. You need a runner lagged in for the hangers that is not to crazy and really the price is because of the market.

Licensed contractor here. I build a lot of decks. A deck like you are talking about needs to be lagged to the band of your house. Yes, code in certain areas allow free standing decks. You can always just back the lags out anyways. But, whoever builds your deck needs to attach it directly to your house. With Lags. Through the bands on the deck and the house. If there are opportunities it’s to put hangers on the girders and attach them too, he needs to do that as well

The best advice I can give you is to go with someone that is licensed. And, make sure they build to code. If you ever resale and it’s not to code, the lender of interested parties is going to catch it. Then, you’ll have to fix it in order to qualify for a loan.

Any decks can be directly attached to any structure. And all that is needed to make them mobile is taking the lags out. So, there is zero reason not to attach the band of the deck, to the structure directly. Even on mobile homes. Don’t let anyone tell you differently either. As the pricing reflects, it’s a lot of money. Get it right.

Crusader

WKR
A friend of mine who formerly was a carpenter/deck builder and I (helper) built a deck on our house 5 years ago. It was just as WV Mountaineer and others described--it was attached to the house via a ledger with lags. I would imagine there could be some variance depending on state and county (we're in Jefferson County, MO) but you'd think that attachment to the house/building would be a given. Our piers/columns have to be 30" below grade, which was a killer in this incredibly rocky soil our neighborhood is in.

woods89

WKR
Make sure the ledger that is attached to the house is properly flashed into the drainage plane of the house if the deck is attached. It's easy for water to get in between them, and rot over time. Every year it seems someone has a party on a deck, it collapses, and a bunch of people go to the hospital. Often it was a ledger simply nailed into the house or water intrusion that rotted around the ledger fasteners.

Southern MO where I live is admittedly a fairly wet climate, so rot happens faster here, but no matter what the climate I'd want flashing to bring water to the outside of the ledger.

hobbes

WKR
Even if not required, the codes being referenced have been adopted in some places for good reason. I wouldn't cut on structural integrity just because you can.

Call your local municipality or equivalent and find out what if anything is required. I've lived in counties that had no requirements. The only codes beyond electric or sewer were found within each respective municipality.

Check references of the contractors. We are seeing prices all over the map. A different field of construction, but still the same price increases. Some are high prices just because they are busy and they can. Some low prices are low ballers that cost you in the long run. The highest bid doesn't guarantee the best work. The lowest bid doesn't guarantee the best deal.

Free floating decks might be allowed. But, why? So you can spend an extra $800 to solid it up?

It wasn’t a question if it was code. It was a question of what to do. And anyone that build a free floating deck over an attached one is just wasting money.
Because the brick or stone veneer doesn't provide enough strength for the ledger?

Because the stucco would complicate flashing?

If code allows there are valid considerations for a freestanding deck.

Free floating decks might be allowed. But, why? So you can spend an extra $800 to solid it up?

It wasn’t a question if it was code. It was a question of what to do. And anyone that build a free floating deck over an attached one is just wasting money.

Not necessarily. Otherwise people are throwing money away with detached garages...

Not necessarily. Otherwise people are throwing money away with detached garages...
You ain’t moving the house. And if you were, it’d take about 20 minutes to back the lags out and detach the deck from the house.

If you’ve got a good reason a free floating deck would be superior, by all means state it.

You ain’t moving the house. And if you were, it’d take about 20 minutes to back the lags out and detach the deck from the house.

If you’ve got a good reason a free floating deck would be superior, by all means state it.

Fit for purpose. It was already stated - outside finish may prevent it from being attached. In the SW where an adobe finish is popular, you aren't going to lag a deck to the house...

Because the brick or stone veneer doesn't provide enough strength for the ledger?

Because the stucco would complicate flashing?

If code allows there are valid considerations for a freestanding deck.
There is a better chance then average that The rock veneer or masonry work behind it, is not meant to hold the deck. The wood band board setting on the foundation block is. If it’s residential work, there is about a 100% chance the house is wood framing set on top of masonry. Ask yourself this, you ever seen a doors in a wood framed house set in the foundation?

You may need to chisel a bit of it out in order to let the band board set against the flashing you put behind the band. Or, take the screws out of the veneers rock if it’s mrock.

I’ll just say you might want to learn a little bit about construction before you question the advice from someone who already does. Think about it before you blow off mad. I’m not trying to insult you. While I’m more then aware of code that allows a free standing deck, I’ve never witnessed where that was a better option.

Last edited: