Getting a new sleeping pad which one is best

338maker

WKR
Hey guys I'm in the market for a new inflatable sleeping pad and want the best.

Details .... I'm 6'3" 265lbs and very wide at the shoulders I WANT TO BE COMFORTABLE bottom line

which one is best

Price not an issue as I like to get the best once and cry later ha ha

mostly for back pack/horse hunting

most of my hunting ranges from were it can go from 75 deg to snowing over night so it has to be versitaile

Last edited:

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Backpacking or car/base camping? Price range? What temperatures are you using the mat in?

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
I have a nemo cosmo that is insulated that I like a lot. It is the wide/long version. I have a buddy who is about your size and was complaining about his mat. He laid on mine and then said he was going to buy one. I will be buying the Nemo Tensor or Vector this year as I am letting a hunting buddy who is short on cash borrow my gear. Whatever you get, I would suggest getting the insulated version. If you can get to an REI or some store like that you can lay on them and see what you like the best.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I went through this entire process recently - side sleeper and sleep/comfort is important to me. I ended up going with an insulated Nemo Tensor regular/wide. So far its been great

Jimss

WKR
You might try a Neoair.. I've used mine on quite a few Alaska backpack trips and gobs of trips in Wyo and Colo. Sleep like a baby! It's super light, compact, and comfortable. I never have a problem sleeping on it!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would look hard at Thermarest's Xtherm- can be used summer through winter (most of it anyways) at 13 oz (regular) and with a r value of 5.7, going to be tough to beat

I have two, one for me, one for my wife- they're seven-ish years old with 100+ nights (on mine anyways :)). Thermarest (Cascade Designs) also has one of the best warranties in the US

I’m 6’2” and 215 with wide shoulders and I’ve never slept better on the ground than with a thermarest neoair xtherm. I use the 20 inch wide long one, but you might want to go with the wider version.

RyanCmns

WKR
Sea to Summit is supposed to be one of the most comfortable pads .... just weighs a bit more.
I have a comfort light I really like I made the mistake of trying my dads comfort deluxe it weighs more and doesn't pack down as small but hands down the most comfortable pad I've ever used

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am your size and weight. For colder weather my go to was an xtherm for the last couple of years.

I recently bought a sea to summit etherlight xt insulated. They have a 72 inch long and 25 inch wide rectangular pad. I was intrigued by the 4 inch thickness and don’t mind it is shorter as I am a side sleeper and usually set up my pillow on my pack off the top of my pad. I don’t have enough nights on it to Offer an endorsement, but it is more plush than the thermarest. It also inflates and deflates more easily than the Thermarest. They weigh and cost about the same.

Chugaglug

FNG
My husband is a side sleeper exactly your size, got him a thermarest neoair xtherm large, he loves it. On fly ins or pack trips he takes alps mountaineering cot as well

Baron85

WKR
I’m 6’5” 220# and go back and forth between side and back through the night.

I have;
exped winter UL
Sea to summit comfort plus
Nemo tensor alpine
Thermarest self inflating

All in long wide.

My favorite is between the sea to summit and the Nemo. The sea to summit feels more stable but the Nemo is lighter. Both do a great job of keeping me off the ground so far. The exped is comfortable but with the vertical baffles feels less stable to me.

Trial153

WKR
After a recent terrible experience with exped I think I am crossing them off the list for future pads. One my last one shits the bed I doubt i will replace it.
Nemo tensor gets my vote in long/wide insulated. It's been treating me great. I liked the Qcore however the durableity is suspect.
The sea to summit comfort plus gets high marks howver I havent tried it yet.

For you guys that keep saying Nemo Tensor, are you referring to the $120 insulated version, or the $220 Tensor Alpine version?