Getting a new sleeping pad which one is best

Baron85

WKR
I looked at both the tensor and the alpine tensor, they both felt the same to me. I ended up with the alpine for the higher insulation value.

The $120 one I believe is the older version with the older air valves that were supposed to be slower to inflate/deflate. I believe the new version of the insulated tensor is around $150-$160

Exped synmat 9. I use the 7 I’m 6 foot 230. My buddy who is 6’2” 250 + used the 9 and likes it. They have a good r value that also keeps you warm when temp dip.

pkahnke

FNG
I’ve had the Big Agnes sleep system for a while and really like their pad / bag combo

i’ve gone through this same thing and bought and traded many pads.

i’ve ended up with the sea to summit comfort plus.

Akshphntr

FNG
Klymit mats are awesome. I have 4 . First one got cut on my broadhead. Patched with duct tape still going stronh.

Wrongside

WKR
I second these comments. I was a happy Exped user for years, until experiencing their horrible CS/warranty department after my Downmat turned into a giant hotdog.

Also been a longtime user of the Thermarest NeoAirs and been very pleased with them. After last season and into the winter, the Xtherm Max is my new favorite pad.

I would look hard at Thermarest's Xtherm- can be used summer through winter (most of it anyways) at 13 oz (regular) and with a r value of 5.7, going to be tough to beat

I have two, one for me, one for my wife- they're seven-ish years old with 100+ nights (on mine anyways :)). Thermarest (Cascade Designs) also has one of the best warranties in the US
After a recent terrible experience with exped I think I am crossing them off the list for future pads. One my last one shits the bed I doubt i will replace it.

Mike 338

WKR
Sleeping pad is one of the more important pieces of gear. It's probably more important than your bag, your rifle or your pack. Thermarest Neoaire X-Therm checks the boxes for me. A cold sleep sucks the fun right out of the day (and night). Very good R-value, light enough, durable enough, comes in a wide option. Some say it's noisy but it seems I can sleep through my own snoring or a partners so I can deal with a bit of krinkle.

I used the ThermaRest Neo-air for years but it was so noisy I quit trying to make it work. I just never slept well with it. Switched to the Big Agnes Q Core SLX and it has made a huge difference.

The Nemo Tensor Ultralight however has a better R value and slightly lighter weight than my Big Agnes. Might have to give it a look.

Last edited:

xrangerx

WKR
I’m 6’5” and was 255 (shrinking that number) and I went through 6 or so different pads. Settled on the thermarest xtherm max. I’ve used it in the summer and I’m the snow. Best pad I’ve used by far and a solid warranty if you ever need to use it (I haven’t). Not cheap but I would buy it again in a heartbeat

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I went from Thermarest Z-Lite to Nemo Astro Insulated Lite 20R sleeping pad over the last 10 years, with many stops along the way. Why?

Sleep: Once I switched to inflatable pads, I started sleeping much better. That makes a HUGE difference in enjoyment, and the ability to think on my feet during the day.

Warmth: I was shivering in 40° weather in a 30° sleeping bag with all my clothes on, until I got a thicker, warmer sleeping pad. You’ll find many others on BPL with similar experiences.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have quite a collection of older Therm-a-Rest pads but I got an Exped DownMat XP 9 last year, and I have never slept better while camping. It is relatively heavy though, so I have a Therm-a-Rest Xtherm on its way for my trip this fall. If OP is using horses, the weight penalty of the Exped should not be a problem.

WyoKid

WKR
I went through the process and settled on Paria XL insulated. Not the lightest but getting a good night of sleep is key in the Backcountry. It is 4" and I side sleep - also it is a little wider than the Nemo. And, for 70 dollars it doesn't break the bank.

I went through the process and settled on Paria XL insulated. Not the lightest but getting a good night of sleep is key in the Backcountry. It is 4" and I side sleep - also it is a little wider than the Nemo. And, for 70 dollars it doesn't break the bank.

Have you used it yet?
Was looking into that pad myself but wasn't sure on the durability at that price point.

WyoKid

WKR
Yes, I have had it for a little over a year and I have not had any leaks or issues. I will mention that I do take extra care of it and avoid punctures. They use 40D and it is 26 ounces, which accounts for the durability. I really weighed the cost of a lighter and less durable pad and have given up on going ultra light on the pad - after having one go flat in the middle of the night. Plus, I took the extra savings to save up for a good spotting scope.

Kotaman

WKR
I've used a bunch of different one's and have settled on the Thermarest XTherm. Haven't found anything I like better in this weight class that is insulated.

Anyone tried the Exped SynMat HL winter or Exped Downmat HL winter pads? The SynMat is the same weight and R rating as the Thermarest. The Downmat only 1.9 oz heavier with a crazy 7+ R rating. I hate how noisy the Thermarest NeoAir is personally and quit using mine simply for that reason.

GPool1842

WKR
Reallllly like my Exped Downmat UL Winter. Check them out...

Very comfortable, warm, and long & wide.