Getting a tikka cerekoted

Will getting the action and bolt cerekoted have any impact on the smoothness of the bolt cycle in a tikka? What about just the receiver and not the bolt?

83cj-7

WKR
Short answer, yes.
Long answer, the bolt on a factory tikka is really smooth and Cerakote on either the bolt or the receiver will take some of that away. That being said, I do my own Cerakote and I have done probably 15 Tikka rifles. I will compromise the smooth bolt for a bolt that is protected with Cerakote. With a little break-in and oil, they feel pretty close to the way they do from the factory. Just make sure that whoever does it doesn’t spray the locking lugs or get carried away when applying it to the bolt body.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got one that is full cerakote, barreled action and bolt. While not as slick as the stock form, it still is very smooth, just a hair more grabby.

Still smoother than most other actions out there. Tikka stainless rusts like crazy, I’d atleast do the action.

Taking in another tikka this spring and coating the whole thing again. No reservations on cycling.

OP
Kbhillhunter
I appreciate the feedback. Picked up a compact 308 and not too high on the blued finish so thinking of getting it coated. But didn't want to compromise that famous tikka smoothness.

Lawnboi

WKR
I appreciate the feedback. Picked up a compact 308 and not too high on the blued finish so thinking of getting it coated. But didn't want to compromise that famous tikka smoothness.
If smooth as glass is absolutely necessary for you, might want to not have it coated.

Could always leave the bolt raw. With enough cycling I’m sure most the coating will rub off the mating surfaces.

OP
Kbhillhunter
If smooth as glass is absolutely necessary for you, might want to not have it coated.

Could always leave the bolt raw. With enough cycling I’m sure most the coating will rub off the mating surfaces.
That's kind of what I'm thinking too. Leave the bolt but coat the action.

OP
Kbhillhunter
Also fwiw Iv seen actions rust pretty easy with the tikkas, however all mine are stainless. That said the bolts are pretty corrosion resistant in my opinion. They seem like a much less porous metal.
I noticed that too. I had a stainless 7mag and found a couple spots starting to pop up after not that much time in the field.

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
I have two Tikkas that have been fully Cerakoted (action, bolt, lugs, barrel, etc.) by LRI. If I was blindfolded there would be no way I could tell one of my cerakoted actions from one without. LRI did an excellent job on both!

dv808

FNG
I had my stainless bolt fluted & cerakoted by LRI and never noticed much of a difference from beforehand. Even if there was some stickyness, I'm sure it would've gone away after a bit of shooting.
f3f4093e75b169e5e85cef828ebe6eff.jpg
55e5c52c265d50db00f452ea78376b88.jpg

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

OP
Kbhillhunter
I had my stainless bolt fluted & cerakoted by LRI and never noticed much of a difference from beforehand. Even if there was some stickyness, I'm sure it would've gone away after a bit of shooting.

That turned out awesome. Did you get the action done too, or just bolt? Do you recall what color # that is?

dv808

FNG
I just had the bolt done. I forget what color but it was a recommended color that's closest to black. They're fluting service was a pretty quick and easy mod.
c3fbd2f0f7c2ac51cde5f92533ace669.jpg

OP
Kbhillhunter
I just had the bolt done. I forget what color but it was a recommended color that's closest to black. They're fluting service was a pretty quick and easy mod.
c3fbd2f0f7c2ac51cde5f92533ace669.jpg

I definitely thought that first picture you sent it was gray, must be the lighting. Nice rig!

OP
Kbhillhunter

Which pattern is this? Was there any measurable weight reduction?

dv808

FNG
Which pattern is this? Was there any measurable weight reduction?
I believe it's the "wrought iron" pattern. I'm sure that there was some weight loss but I don't think it was much. I forgot to weight the bolt before shipping. I didn't do it for the weight loss. Purely for looks. It was so plain looking before...
a21518c6d676227d72ed34a6d5f35bc2.jpg