Getting back into bow hunting.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello,

I grew up doing a bit of bow hunting because where I was from, it was a good way to extend the hunting season and or increase draw odds, same with muzzle loader.

I had a bow, a bowtech of some sort but I never really put much thought into it and I don’t believe I was ever properly fitted for the bow, like I said, I would just use it to get a few extra weeks of hunting in and we did manage to get a few elk with bows and muzzle loaders over those years but that’s all I can really say about my bow hunting background.

Now, I’m starting to get interested in actually bowhunting, practicing shooting etc etc, I’m looking to purchase a new set up in the next month or so when I can get to the shop.

I’m thinking that since I don’t know enough about setting up bows and fitting them etc that for this first one it makes sense to buy new from a shop, from there I can learn to work on my bow and know what I like and don’t like and also go home knowing my bow is set up for me. After that, I’ll know more so my future purchases might include used bows.

All that being said, what should I look for when getting a new set up? Brands? Things to avoid? Different releases??? It’s a bit overwhelming since it’s been about 15 years since I even shot a bow.

Basically I don’t want to walk into a shop and say “hey, I know absolutely nothing, take my money!!!” And end up with stuff that sucks or that I don’t need.

Thanks!!!

Gorp2007

WKR
Basically I don’t want to walk into a shop and say “hey, I know absolutely nothing, take my money!!!” And end up with stuff that sucks or that I don’t need.

I'd recommend you ask around and find a well-respected bow shop in your area and then go in and ask to shoot a bunch of different bows. I employed your "I know absolutely nothing, take my money!!!!" strategy and they set me up with a few different bows and I walked out with the one I shot the best. It happened to be a Mathews Traverse, but they would have very happily sold me a Mission bow for about a third the cost. They weren't pushy and let me spend several hours over a week or two just coming in to shoot bows and providing feedback on my form and helping me make a good decision. Since then, I've been able to take the bow back in for some minor maintenance and to ask questions and they've been exceptionally patient and helpful.

All archery shops are going to be different, but if you can get some good recommendations from people you trust, I'd let the experts be the experts and not try to rely too heavily on the opinions of the internet.

Go to Screamin Eagle in Wasilla and shoot all of them. Then make a choice and have them set it up properly. One of the best shops I've ever been to and if you get Andrew to work on your bow it'll be shooting lights out in no time.

Take your time, visit multiple shops if you can, shoot as many bows as you can, ask lots of questions. One key thing I want to know when shopping for a new bow is the draw length adjustment method. Some bows have built-in DL adjustability, others require swapping the cams to change DL.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Like the others stated go shoot different brands different people like different things. I always shot cheap hand me down bows and I bought what I could afford when I did bow hunt. Last year I decided to get serious and bought a new bow and went in with the mindset that I was going to get what I liked best no matter the brand because I wanted it to last me.

Long story short my favorite was the new Mathews vertix and I love it. This is the first bow I’ve had that is set up to my draw length and not just whatever the last person shot. It was more than I originally wanted to spend but I’m 100% happy and I know it will last me a long time. And before this I was one of the stubborn people that would say spending so much on a bow is pointless and a cheaper bow is good enough and blah blah blah. Well after spending the money and getting a bow I’m happy with im Glad I did.

But also like said above find a shop that will push you to get what is comfortable for you not what they make the most off of.

Find a good shop, or several. My line of thinking now is they are mostly all good bows. They tune different. That seems to be the biggest thing to me. Getting something I understand what to do with it. Fortunately for you you have to learn a system either way, so choose what you like. Try to find a bow mechanic you like, I'd say that's the most important part for you.

I’m gonna go against the grain here.

Trying out every bow on the wall is a great method for someone who currently has a bow and knows what they’re looking for when it comes to a sweet shooting bow.

There’s no way you can glean this information off shooting a ton of bows over a few days(even if you spend an hour with each one). It’s about knowing what works for you and what doesn’t. You’re not gonna know what brace height you shoot best, or what letoff you prefer(less isn’t always better as some may think), or ata length preference, weight, etc.

If it were me, I’d look for a used cheaper bow, or go buy a beginner bow and shoot it for a year. Get proficient with it. Even the low end bows these days are completely serviceable as far as shooting goes. Buy the nice accessories. Shoot the hell out of it for the first year.

Over the course of the year you’ll develop a list of wants and be better equipped to buy a nice bow.

TannerS

FNG
I was just in this same situation. I went in to a respected bow shop and told them my background. I was humble enough to admit that I knew nothing about current bows and had no preference on brand. I spent 2 hours at the shop shooting multiple bows and a few of them multiple times. There were a few times I said "I don't want to waste your time with all of this testing, as I'm not intending to buy today, but will in the near future.". They were more than helpful that day and during my next visit a few weeks later.

Ultimately, I found a bow that fits me very well, I love the backwall and am getting amazing results with the overall setup. It's a joy to shoot, so I want to shoot as often as I can.

If you don't get a good feeling from the shop, don't hesitate to walk after you've told them your situation. Also, give them a price range at the start (if you have one), so you don't shoot a bow that is out of your price range.

MTSabo

WKR
Couple years back i bought a bow from screamin eagle in wasilla. Hadnt shot in about 10 years. They set me up with a few diffent bows, i shot them all quite extensively. Long story short i was set up with a 31" draw bow, decided i liked it, and purchased it. My draw length as ive come to find out is 32.5".

That being said i wish i would of bought used and figured out what i like before i dumped over a grand on a bow that i dont even shoot now and wasnt even right for me.

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same situation as you several years back. I went into any archery shop and they sold me a Mathews that I still use today. The problem is they set me up with a 26 inch draw cam. After figuring things out for myself and some trial and error, I now shoot the same bow with a 30 inch cam. How can they be so far off? My recommendation is to find a local club and talk to experienced archers that can point you to a trusted local archery shop.

If you are to be serious about archery, you will need to eventually work on your own bow.

Campstool

FNG
I agree with what everyone has said about going to a reputable shop. Then just ask to shoot a bunch of different bows and pick what you like the most. Also start practicing with back tension before you develop bad habits.