Getting back into bowhunting. Got a good deal on a V3x. Setup questions/suggestions.

Trees91

WKR
Put my name on a V3x 33 today. Few hundred off new...haven't bought a bow since 2014...figured it was time.

I have a Fast Eddie xl I plan to use.

Wondering about the rest, I have a QAD HDX Ultra rest off my old bow. It's not the fancy Matthews integrate mount, but I think it's still an ok rest.

Go ahead and use it or find something else?

I much prefer a limb driven rest… hamskea are my favorite, but thinking about a vapor trail just to try

I have had issues with the last 2 QAD’s I have had, so I don’t trust them. I know many like them, I don’t think they like fern pollen and moisture

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Been curious about the hamskea....what's the big difference between limb driven and cable driven...obviously other than how they're driven....?

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Ok so watching some videos on s&s archery...I'm seeing where a hamskea limb driven has less to go wrong..

MT257

WKR
I also just picked a v3x 29 up at a large discount from the local dealership plus a sizeable gift card. I went with the integrate rest on this bow but picked it up used. I think I am looking forward to the new option on this bow for mounting the sight in the riser.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Yeah I think the Fast Eddie inline will be cool.....just not sure I need to spend $289 on a inline rest....and I think it's basically the same as my hdx ultra....besides the mounting obviously.

Or has qad improved things in recent years?

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The main benefit of the bridgelock and integrate rest is so you can use the low profile mathews quiver, running it close to the bow and balancing better

Been curious about the hamskea....what's the big difference between limb driven and cable driven...obviously other than how they're driven....?
The biggest difference that you'll notice in operation is that the fork on a Hamskea can't be cocked/locked in the up position. The fork starts in the down position, rises as the bow is drawn, then gets pulled back down during the shot. Hamskea's hunting models have a containment cage to keep the arrow from getting completely away, but while the fork is down the arrow can move around quite a bit, which some folks don't like (particularly those accustomed to shooting a QAD pre-cocked in the up position). If you do switch to a Hamskea, adding a rubber or felt pad to the bow's shelf is a good idea to keep things quiet when moving around with an arrow nocked and when letting down. There are also rubber grippers you can put on the shelf to help keep the arrow stationary.

Reactions: Zac
I think the main difference you would get between the integrate qad or the hamskea epsilon vs your qad hdx besides the mount giving room for the low pro quiver is the microadjustment system. When fine tuning for broadhead flight, the micro adjust system is so precise, IME it is a far better experience than the loosen and bump you have to do with a rest that doesn’t have micro adjust.

Also, with the integrate rests at zeroed out, your arrow is at perfect center shot as you start your tuning. Not that you can’t just loosen and bump the hdx, measure to get center shot….just the integrate is already there, making it again that little bit easier to tune the bow…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Thinking of having my bow shop get me a hamskea hybrid hunter pro micro...the epsilon and trinity are just a little more than I want to spend.

Any draw backs to that rest?

Wapiti1

WKR
No. All of the Hamskea offerings are well made and functional. The micro adjust is nice for tuning.

That said, there are really no flies on that QAD. I'd go with that if the choice was between the two. I shot one for a long time before getting a Hamskea just to see how I liked it. Both do the job just fine. The QAD is more secure with an arrow for stalking and snagging the rest cord is less likely. If you go Hamskea, get a shelf mounted arrow clip for stalking.

That said, the best rest that I have used for stalking is the Schaffer XV. Odd design, but it works. That is the rest I ended up with on my PSE Carbon Air, and I use the Hamskea on my PSE DNA. My QAD just sits in a box.

Jeremy

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I'm going to give the hamskea a go. I'll try to shoot it indoors a lot this winter and see what I think of it.

I'm going to give the hamskea a go. I'll try to shoot it indoors a lot this winter and see what I think of it.

I have a hunter hybrid on my backup reign 7 that got replaced with new v3x 33 with the integrate rest. My primary reign 7 has an hdx. I really just like the containment aspect of the qad but the hamskea seems a little quieter.

I’d make ya a good deal on the hamskea if you want but I also get the desire to buy a new one and let the bow shop set it up for free.

Noogman

FNG
Limb driven rests are definitely easier to tune and a little more bulletproof, but I enjoy the QAD integrate I'm running on my Vertix. Have never had an issue with it, nor with any other QAD I've run. I'm also an engineer by trade, so I really like how streamlined the integrate is. The micro adjust is cool as well.

You don't need the integrate, though. Your old QAD will work if you don't want to spend the money.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Got the bow home and did some shooting at 20 yards. Feels pretty good...could maybe use a back bar, balance seems to favor the sight and rest side of the bow.

I think I got the hamskea set up. Tied with the hamskea bracket....on a draw board the launcher came up right before the 70% mark.

The activation cord seems to slip a lot. The football clamp isn't my favorite...might try a Blake's hitch.
86B50454-BA61-40C8-8022-15D7969E9601.jpeg

JStol5

WKR
Got the bow home and did some shooting at 20 yards. Feels pretty good...could maybe use a back bar, balance seems to favor the sight and rest side of the bow.

I think I got the hamskea set up. Tied with the hamskea bracket....on a draw board the launcher came up right before the 70% mark.

The activation cord seems to slip a lot. The football clamp isn't my favorite...might try a Blake's hitch.
View attachment 470113
Black bow looks great man. Congrats!

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Ha yeah, told my buddies even if I cant shoot it well, at least it looks cool. That's what it's all about, right!?