Getting Back into Bows - Need Bow Selection Help

I am getting back into bows after being out of it for a few years. I am looking at getting a new bow but unsure of what would be a good fit for me. I am looking to spend less than $800 all in (bow and all accessories - not including arrows) The things most important to be are ease of shooting, forgiveness and the ability of the bow to hold a tune and continue to be accurate/little maintenance needed. I have been looking at the Bear Species or the Hoyt Torrex as they look to meet most of my needs. Does anyone have any input on these models or others I should look at? Not really interested in buying a used bow and definitely don't need to buy a bow just for the brand name. Basically I just want a solid reliable bow I can shoot and enjoy without worrying about it. The main use for the bow would be for eastern whitetail hunting and elk hunting out west. Thanks for the help!

I don’t have info on those bow models specifically, but Bear has been making great bows for a long time, same with Hoyt. I’d look at buying a bare bow and spending some extra on sight, rest, arrows etc. Most new bows these days will be quality for sure, but a lot of times the accessories included with a ready to hunt kit can leave a lot to be desired. Personally I’m a mathews fan boy, but their gonna put ya over the limit. That said a bear bow will kill any animal just as good as any Mathews will. Go to your local bow shop and check them out for sure, shoot them till you find what you like and feels good. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say it a lot on here, find a shop you feel comfortable with and buy from them. You are going to want someone who can work on it. Bows need to be tuned and worked on, no matter the brand. You are going to be better off with a shop that knows what they are doing and is happy to help you and work with you than any particular brand.

I do like Bear, they don't seem to have as much invested in advertising as some other companies, and they make solid bows.

406unltd

WKR
I’d go shoot as many as you can to see what feels the most comfortable the. You’ll know what used high end bow to look for

Zac

WKR
Two offerings by PSE would be a great fit for you. Both the new Drive and the Embark. These are the only new bows in your price range I would consider. You start drastically compromising components if you drop any lower on the price range.

OP
T
Thanks. I am going to go shoot some of them this weekend. The Bear and Hoyt are still my top runners so far.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t rule out the used market on AT. My personal favorites are the Bowtech Reign and Realm series or the Pse evolve and Evoke series. That PSE evolve cam is just so smooth it’s hard for me to think about shooting something else. This option would keep you within your budget too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Yep, go out and shoot as many as you can. I really think we are in maybe the best time ever for archery. So many great bows, super efficient, smooth shooting, accurate, etc. Even the "mid-line" bows today are great shooters.
The one thing I would not do is buy a "ready to hunt" bow. You'll get a good bow no doubt but, the accessories will generally be low end stuff.
The other thing I'd recommend is getting the tools to be your own bow technician. It isn't overly difficult and you don't have to spend a bundle, unless you want to. Having the ability to DIY without the restrictions of using a shop really is a game changer.
Good luck!

OP
T
Thats good advice on getting the tools to be my own bow technician. What tools would I need? I have a bow square and the allen wrenches. Im assuming a bow press would be handy and also serving tool. Anything else?

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
Thats good advice on getting the tools to be my own bow technician. What tools would I need? I have a bow square and the allen wrenches. Im assuming a bow press would be handy and also serving tool. Anything else?

A bow vise is nice along with some levels. Needle nose pliers, Allen and torx wrench set. PVC pipe to build a paper tuner. Serving and dloop material. A chronograph and a draw board depending on how in depth you want to get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR

A press of some kind, draw board, bow vise, hex head tools, torx tools, should about cover it. I used a Bowmaster quite a bit before moving on to a full sized press. It works, it's slow, and it isn't a great fit for all bows. I use a Spewing Jason vise, he sells them on Archerytalk. Works well enough but not perfect. My draw board is a DIY with a Harbor Freight will winch. There are plenty of ideas online.

Forgot to mention a paper rack for initial tuning. Easy to build out of 2x2 lumber.

Zac

WKR

Get yourself a quality bow before you even look at getting shop gear. I'm just finishing up my inhouse shop and I've probably spent over 3 grand getting everything set up.

I have had a lot of good experiences with Mathews and Hoyt. I shoot a Mathews switchback and I love the forgiveness on it. If you would like something newer I would look at the Mathews halon 7.

sndmn11

WKR
I said this is some other post on here recently as well, but I feel like ease of use in tuning is a big differentiating factor with bows right now. I think most manufacturers have similar physical and performance specs, so bows like the Bowtech's and Elites that can move the cam left/right without a press jump to the top in my eyes.