Getting back into it

Tradchef

WKR
Hey y’all,
So when I was a kid we reloaded everything all the time. As I got older I stopped gun hunting and only bowhunted for about 15 years. When I moved back out west I started enjoying rifle hunting again coupled with hunting with my stickbow. I haven’t reloaded in years and want to get back into it. Is it worth getting a kit or buying piece by piece or looking for used? We always used RCBS at our house. Is that still a good company to deal with? I mainly just want to use a single stage at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

VernAK

WKR
Your budget may be the determining factor. I have/had two RCBS and a Herters before getting the Forster Co-Ax. It would be hard to go back.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
I think if I shot a ton I would do a more upscale press if you will. I mainly just want to load for hunting and for just in case scenerios. Like I said I stickbow hunting is where most of my time is spent so I’m more looking for a quality press I can get back into it with.

Billinsd

WKR
I bought an RCBS kit, and prompty returned it after realizing I'd only be happy hand picking what I wanted. I discovered Scott Parker,
[email protected] on the web, who's real popular tuning old powder scales and selling them. I bought one of his tuned scales and after talking to him bought on of his used RCBS rock chuckers. He said the old ones were built far better than new ones and last decades and decades. Then he gave me advice and I bought the rest of my stuff. I'm real happy with what I have. I reloaded shotgun shells as a kid and resisted reloading rifle ammo until recently, because I couldn't find any manufactured ammo in loads with bullets I wanted. My only concern is I got real anal and ended up spending a few hundred for higher precision equipment. I haven't thtown anything I bought initially, except my primer loader. I got a much nicer one for a hundred bucks.

I've also spent a ton of time on phone with reloading companies to get great info. Bill

elkguide

WKR
All depends on how serious you are going to be and how much money you want to spend. RCBS is a good basic brand and has some good starter kits. Sometimes it's easier to just start with a kit and swap items out as you become more familiar with what you are doing or perhaps you will find that the basic set up works great for you.
Mostly though..... have fun!

rayporter

WKR
I am thinking since you are not green you have the knowledge to hand pick your stuff.

digital scales are the rage now as are electronic powder throwers. neither are necessary.

about the only press I would say to stay away from is the lee c press and I have 2. I keep a bullet puller in one and a special small base die in the other. they will barely get a small case into the small base die. but because they are light wt and I carry them when I go away I keep them.

I have 2 lyman c presses and they may have a limit- but I have not found it, yet. they are much heavier than a lee.

you might find the lock and load system useful, so at least check it out.

a small rcbs partner or a lyman c press will do anything short of the big fifty or a 338 lapua.

redding is also a good brand. redding dies are very highly thought of.

tdhanses

WKR
Check out the MEC Marksman press, I’m very impressed, had a Lee Breachlock press prior to this and that thing flexed some but did get the job done. I like having an electronic powder dispenser but you still have to double check them as they are not perfect. I’ve been impressed with Lyman’s customer service recently when I had issues with a Gen 6 powder dispenser. I really like Redding and L.E. Wilson dies.

Really there are a ton of quality options available, you don’t have to go with just one brand. Each has their pros and cons so research what you think you would like or go off what has good reviews.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
I’m just looking at loading up .243, .308 for hunting and bench , 7mag. Possibly some .380 at some point. Yeah, deffinately not green at all but like was said above I learned on the old RCBS that were pretty slick back in the day. The newer stuff I wasn’t sure what was quality and what to stay away from. Never used a lee but I’ve heard the cast lee presses are nice.

N2TRKYS

WKR
RCBS is hard too beat. I didn't waste my money on a kit. I bought what I wanted from the start and didn't need to upgrade. I would quit reloading if I couldn't use an electronic powder dispenser(mine is a RCBS). I had a buddy try to talk me into using a beam scale. There's no way I'd use that garbage.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a kit from RCBS but I was starting with no supplies and no knowledge. I am happy with my purchase as it got me going and I was able to add and upgrade equipment as I progressed. There are a few things in the kit that I no longer use all the time, but I still use most. I have not heard of any quality issues with RCBS. Been great for me.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
All depends on how serious you are going to be and how much money you want to spend. RCBS is a good basic brand and has some good starter kits. Sometimes it's easier to just start with a kit and swap items out as you become more familiar with what you are doing or perhaps you will find that the basic set up works great for you.
Mostly though..... have fun!

What part of Vermont are you in? I grew up on the Champlain islands in South hero. Used to hunt and fish a lot in Starksboro, shelburne, hinesburg, Springfield, perkinsville and Troy.

elkguide

WKR
What part of Vermont are you in? I grew up on the Champlain islands in South hero. Used to hunt and fish a lot in Starksboro, shelburne, hinesburg, Springfield, perkinsville and Troy.

I can see Starksboro out of my front windows. I'm in New Haven. That's about 20 minutes South of Shelburne.