Getting back into it

Diesel

WKR
I have been a bow hunter for a long time. Actually shot my first deer with a short Bear recurve when I was 16. Hunted for years with PSE compounds, but drifted away from it because of work (traveling country wide) and building my dream home.
I really miss shooting as it was somewhat of a zen thing.

I have really got the urge to get back into it now that I am retired. I have been lurking here on the archery forum for awhile and things sure have changed equipment wise. Mathews had been on the scene with their one cam bows when I started traveling for a living so that will give you an idea how long it has been.

Anybody else restarted bow hunting? What issues did you encounter with muscle aches and pain? My old bow was set at #78 lbs with 50% let off, now I see 80 and 85 let offs. Did that have an effect on your shooting and accuracy? Does anyone use the pin magnification lenses ( old eyes question) and does it create target focus issues? FOC arrows are new to me and I am amazed at the ability to manufacture such a thing. Does this arrow development improve arrow flight? Accuracy?

These are just a couple of questions among many. There is no archery shops anywhere near me (closest is about 60 miles) to hang out and get good info and learn. Any guidance would be appreciated and would love to hear your experience.

FOC arrows are new to me and I am amazed at the ability to manufacture such a thing. Does this arrow development improve arrow flight? Accuracy?
What do you mean by "FOC arrows"? The only arrows I'm aware of that have inherent FOC (front of center) are GrizzlyStik Momentums and Easton FMJ T64s, both of which are tapered shafts. I shoot GrizzlyStiks and like them just fine, but there are plenty of ways to arrive at whatever FOC value you want with a non-tapered shaft.

ofl0926

WKR
I have been a bow hunter for a long time. Actually shot my first deer with a short Bear recurve when I was 16. Hunted for years with PSE compounds, but drifted away from it because of work (traveling country wide) and building my dream home.
I really miss shooting as it was somewhat of a zen thing.

I have really got the urge to get back into it now that I am retired. I have been lurking here on the archery forum for awhile and things sure have changed equipment wise. Mathews had been on the scene with their one cam bows when I started traveling for a living so that will give you an idea how long it has been.

Anybody else restarted bow hunting? What issues did you encounter with muscle aches and pain? My old bow was set at #78 lbs with 50% let off, now I see 80 and 85 let offs. Did that have an effect on your shooting and accuracy? Does anyone use the pin magnification lenses ( old eyes question) and does it create target focus issues? FOC arrows are new to me and I am amazed at the ability to manufacture such a thing. Does this arrow development improve arrow flight? Accuracy?

These are just a couple of questions among many. There is no archery shops anywhere near me (closest is about 60 miles) to hang out and get good info and learn. Any guidance would be appreciated and would love to hear your experience.

I'm getting back into it as well. hopefully to hit the woods with my bow.
my bow will be arriving next week. ill let you know what I encounter then

Rob5589

WKR
I came back after close to 15 years of gun only hunting. Bows had gotten shorter, faster, more aggressive cam profiles, increased let off, several new companies; aluminum arrows were virtually non existent for compounds, carbon arrows had come a looong way. What I found was I no longer needed to shoot 75-80 lbs as the newer designs could fling an arrow with plenty of efficiency at 60 lbs. So that is what I went with.
My vision had also aged making the pins blurry (far sighted). A quick online search and I found the verifier peep by Specialty Archery. That thing is a small miracle for those like myself.
The whole high FOC thing is a "whatever" to me. I run about 14% which provides great flight and penetration. But feel free to experiment if you want.
Of course, nothing wrong with jumping back to a recurve. Start light, work on form, enjoy the process. There is something extra special about a recurve or longbow in the woods.
If that shop is a good one, it would be worth an afternoon to see what your options are, talk to some folks, shoot some bows. You're retired after all, what else ya gonna do 😁

Good luck!

OP
D

Diesel

WKR
MM.
New to the term FOC so I probably used it incorrectly. The Easton FMJ's is what I was referring to with the, ones with the tapered shaft.

Rob.
You described my same experiences. I was thinking 60 lb draw due to aging muscles and neck issues. I remember those recurve days and when compounds came out I never looked back. The Verifier peep sounds like just what the doctor ordered and I will look into that for sure. I was not even aware such a thing existed. Thanks for that.

That shop is still there and the owner was an Olympic medalist. It was a great place to deal with and where I would go to buy when the time comes. If a 45lb recurve will kill deer, I'm sure a 60lb will be just fine. Good to know someone else is comfortable with that approach.

The amount of changes that have occurred is amazing to me. Just trying to learn reading this forum. Just what the hell they are talking about is like reading Greek to me.

Thanks, keep it coming.

Red7006

FNG
Don't put to much stock into the FOC thing. A good arrow weight(470 grains +), good broadhead , and a lot of practice will do you just fine. Also, 60lbs will work just fine.

MM.
New to the term FOC so I probably used it incorrectly. The Easton FMJ's is what I was referring to with the, ones with the tapered shaft.
You can roughly (within ≈1%) calculate an arrow's FOC from component weights with this formula: [(front end weight) + 0.5 × (shaft gpi) × (shaft length)] ÷ (total arrow weight) – 0.5
For example, that calculation for some arrows I built for 3D last year was: [(100 gn field point + 12 gn insert + 22 gn weight screw) + 0.5 × (7.9 gpi) × (27.25")] ÷ (378 gn) – 0.5 = [134 + 108] ÷ 378 – 0.5 = 14.0%

Calculating FOC from measurement of the arrow's balance point is done as follows: [(distance from rear of arrow to balance point) – 0.5 × (shaft length)] ÷ (shaft length)
For example, the measured FOC of my aforementioned 3D arrows was: [17.5" – 0.5 × 27.25"] ÷ 27.25" = 14.2%

The FOC math is fun to geek out on (at least it is for a geek like me), but I wouldn't get fixated on hitting a certain FOC value. I shoot for an approximate total arrow weight and let FOC fall where it may.

If you dig very deeply into the topic of FOC, you'll likely see some folks advocating a minimum FOC of 20% for hunting arrows based on Ed Ashby's penetration testing. I generally agree with Ashby's research and conclusions, but I think he and his followers state their FOC and weight thresholds with too much numerical certainty.

Rob5589

WKR
You can roughly (within ≈1%) calculate an arrow's FOC from component weights with this formula: [(front end weight) + 0.5 × (shaft gpi) × (shaft length)] ÷ (total arrow weight) – 0.5
For example, that calculation for some arrows I built for 3D last year was: [(100 gn field point + 12 gn insert + 22 gn weight screw) + 0.5 × (7.9 gpi) × (27.25")] ÷ (378 gn) – 0.5 = [134 + 108] ÷ 378 – 0.5 = 14.0%

Calculating FOC from measurement of the arrow's balance point is done as follows: [(distance from rear of arrow to balance point) – 0.5 × (shaft length)] ÷ (shaft length)
For example, the measured FOC of my aforementioned 3D arrows was: [17.5" – 0.5 × 27.25"] ÷ 27.25" = 14.2%

The FOC math is fun to geek out on (at least it is for a geek like me), but I wouldn't get fixated on hitting a certain FOC value. I shoot for an approximate total arrow weight and let FOC fall where it may.

If you dig very deeply into the topic of FOC, you'll likely see some folks advocating a minimum FOC of 20% for hunting arrows based on Ed Ashby's penetration testing. I generally agree with Ashby's research and conclusions, but I think he and his followers state their FOC and weight thresholds with too much numerical certainty.
Or if you are mathematically inept like me, Gold Tip has a calculator to do it for you😏

OP
D

Diesel

WKR
I need to do more research. I'm listening to some podcasts on how to determine what my set-up should roughly be and what options are available. Then go to shoot some bows. I never got very technical in my former bow life and did very good, but I love accuracy so this time I want delve deeper.

I'm no math geek, but I can follow a formula and then check it against the table.

Thanks, I have learned quite a bit from you guys already, things I never thought much about before.