Getting burned by gear sales

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
Small rant warning!
I purchased a SO Cimarron from there factory blemish sale 2 weeks ago, and was feeling pretty good about it. Until today when I found out about their 10yr anniversary sale. I could have got the same set up, non-blemished for cheaper!
it’s not enough money to make a stink about, it just ribs me a bit.
I feel like I always make these kind of purchases.
Anybody else get stuck with purchases like this? Maybe you buy right before the new and improved comes out, or discontinue happens but you paid full price a week before. It’s always a gamble I guess.

Voyageur

WKR
I would call SO, air your complaint, and see what they say. Can't hurt to ask.
PS
I feel like I always time my purchases much the same and end up just missing sales, new and improved, etc.

Poser

WKR
Meh. You saved some money, the shelter only has cosmetic blems, is still brand new and you don’t have to wait 10 weeks for it. The money is spent and the shelter is on the way if you don’t have it already. There’s really not much to complain about here.

rclouse79

WKR
That is a bummer. I think the key is finding out if the company usually holds a sale the same time each year or after the season if it isn’t an item you need right away. An email inquiring about future sales before purchase is a good idea. Thanks for the reminder. That is something I could see myself forgetting about as well.

archp625

WKR
I bet you came out ahead. They also raised their prices. I cannot imagine that you bought a blemished shelter for more than there current price plus 10% off. The blemish was also more than likely very minor. I cannot imagine them selling a tent that would no weather the storm.

ODB

WKR
Seems like I always find a sale on the thing I just purchased.
I actually lucked out in reverse. Bought a Garmin GPS that was on a great sale and the sale ended two days after I bought it. Kicked myself for not buying more and selling them on eBay - it was that good a deal. I thought the gps was being discoed, but it wasn’t.

I bought an EXO just before a product upgrade and Steve worked with me. Smart guy to keep a customer. Although the bag is so good unless I lose it I probably won’t ever need another one ;-)

That's life. The product was worth the price you paid for it when you did. Can't blame a business for wanting to time their sales in a manner that benefits them.

A guy could spend a bunch of time planning and searching for deals but ultimately time is more valuable than $ for lots of folks.

Scoot

WKR
So to paraphrase... "I got a good deal and missed out on a really good deal."

Yep, that's how life works. I don't go yell at the gas station when I fill up my tank at $1.65 and the price drops to $1.60 the next day. There's almost always a better deal eventually...

jmcd22

WKR
Just happened to me as well. Bought a Simms fishing vest for a Christmas gift for my dad in October (he wanted it early for a trip). That same vest is now HALF PRICE. He was happy with the vest and that's what matters but I definitely feel your pain.

CorbLand

WKR
Happens quite a bit and I saw this a lot when working retail. Most of the time we would work with customers if it was a reasonable amount of time (1 week). The best way to deal with this is to ask about maybe getting the difference removed from another item you are purchasing. So, "hey I bought this tent last week and you all put it on sale 50 bucks off this week. I need a few other things for my camping trip and was wondering if you maybe I could get the difference off of those items?" That one works 90 percent of the time. The best way that I have ever heard someone deal with a customer that was legitimately pissed about paying full price at our store and then a competitor put it on sale two weeks later was. "you dont go ask a gas station for a refund when full goes down nor does that gas station ask you for more when the price fuel as increased after you fill up."

Might be worth a call to Cimarron to see if they will work with you and would highly suggest using the "I need this" trick but at the same time, 2 weeks is a pretty big gap in my opinion.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. I research the gear I want to buy, a lot.
When I’m finally ready to buy something.... I buy it. Usually about a week before it goes on sale. Oh well

If you think the Classifieds are bad....then you better stay away from the Gear Deals.
That forum has cost me a chit ton.😎

OP
Time2fish

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear this happens to other people too.
Like I said it’s not enough to bother with, just one of those funny things that happens.
This I my first purchase from the company, and I hear nothing but good things about their service. I’m happy to have the tent and plan on testing it out on a float trip next week.

Rich M

WKR
I always know what the going rate is for whatever I want to buy and then keep looking until find a deal that can't be passed-up. I'm not a big one on buying someone's used hand me downs and prefer new, on sale, close-out, etc. Once the deal is made I move on to something else and don't look back.