Getting Close

30 days from today I will be in Alaska, God willing. I can’t believe it is finally getting close. The prep is going well. My gear is dialed in and I am doing well as I continue to improve my fitness. The only concern I have is a lack of range time. With the shoulder surgery 3 mo the ago I am just getting to where I think I can handle the recoil of my 300. I have been limited to dry firing and shoot a 17 a bit here at the house. Our local ranges are still closed and working on a couple places I can just go shoot. That’s what I need to focus on these last few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram94

WKR
Is the 300 your go to “all around” rifle? Do you have a lighter recoiling rifle that you trust? That would be my first choice....otherwise maybe consider a good recoil pad and a muzzle brake.

Also, hearing protection.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If it makes you feel any better, I’m an AK resident and I’m severely lacking in range time a month out from my big hunt this year. I should probably get it together but there’s just sommuch other stuff going on here this time of year.

You'll do great and you'll have a reasonably distanced shot I am sure. Be able to shoot 300 and you'll be set. I'd guess your shot will be closer than that and if you are not comfortable with a certain shot, just tell the guide and you can work to get closer when the time comes. Best of luck!

OP
Marine4life
You'll do great and you'll have a reasonably distanced shot I am sure. Be able to shoot 300 and you'll be set. I'd guess your shot will be closer than that and if you are not comfortable with a certain shot, just tell the guide and you can work to get closer when the time comes. Best of luck!

Thanks Nick. My 300 WSM was dialed in prior to my surgery so it is just a matter of making sure. It looks like I may have found a place to shoot out to 500 yards which was my goal and I have shot this rifle before out to 700. My outfitter said to be solid at 300 but shots are typically less. Excited to see the last few weeks passing by bit at the same time I don’t want it to be over. I have enjoyed the long prep and anticipation of this hunt. Hopefully lots of pics and a good story for the group. I have enjoyed learning from all of you along the way.

Well I know I am getting excited. Last year I had two great hunts with fellow Roksliders, and this year I am hoping for the same with whoever I may be hunting with. After all the craziness in the world and losing my spring season, spending some time in the mountains with the most majestic animal on Earth will be just the right medicine.

OP
Marine4life
Solid weekend for hunt preparation. I was able to find a place to shoot my rifles and put 10 rounds thru the 300 WSM at 150-170 yards from shooting positions off pack, prone and sitting. Held everything within a couple inches.
Shoulder was fine with the recoil so very happy about that. Then I shot another 80 rounds thru my 17HMR and AR in a variety of field shooting positions.
Took a 7 mile hike thru the MO hills with 67 lbs and felt pretty good even though it was extremely hot and humid.
Only 24 days til departure. I can’t hardly sleep with the anticipation. I am 51 years old but feel like I did when I was 5 and having to stare at that wrapped box under the Christmas tree that I knew was a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun.
It is getting real.

keller

WKR
man im getting excited just living this adventure through you.sounds like your ready to hunt sheep best of luck looking forward to the story.
john

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Fantastic book. I'll never forget the part when they get to the continental divide and expect to look over and see the Columbia River valley but instead see the endless snow covered bitterroot mountains. Can only imagine their disappointment

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dunleavy: State to shed virus restrictions, fully reopen Friday morning

Gov. Mike Dunleavy told reporters Tuesday evening the final phase in reopening the state from COVID-19 related closures will go into effect Friday morning.

This means all businesses, churches, libraries, museums, sports and recreational activities may open to 100% capacity Friday at 8 a.m.

Effective Friday May 22, 2020 Alaska is open for business:
  • - All businesses can open
  • - All houses of worship can open
  • - Libraries and museums can open
  • - All recreational activities can open
  • - All sports activities can open
Solid weekend for hunt preparation. I was able to find a place to shoot my rifles and put 10 rounds thru the 300 WSM at 150-170 yards from shooting positions off pack, prone and sitting. Held everything within a couple inches.
Shoulder was fine with the recoil so very happy about that. Then I shot another 80 rounds thru my 17HMR and AR in a variety of field shooting positions.
Took a 7 mile hike thru the MO hills with 67 lbs and felt pretty good even though it was extremely hot and humid.
Only 24 days til departure. I can’t hardly sleep with the anticipation. I am 51 years old but feel like I did when I was 5 and having to stare at that wrapped box under the Christmas tree that I knew was a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun.
It is getting real.

Hope all goes well and you have a great hunt. Sounds like you are dialed in