Getting Elk back home

I live in TN and hunt in Colorado each fall. We have always drove in the past but are flying this fall.The 24 hour drive each way is getting old.
So my question is ... is it best to ship my meat back, bring it on a plane, or some other ideas. I have looked at this a lot and see the extra baggage weight fees and priced it out to rent a vehicle and drive it back home.
Anyone have first hand experience with how much it cost them to do it these ways.

I can usually get away with flying back with a mule deer or anything smaller. Flying with an elk would get pricey quick. I usually rent a vehicle and drive it home (FL). Most rental cars have unlimited miles, no issue to do multi/state drop off, and sometimes they will offer specials on certain cars that aren’t in high demand. I once got a large van from Avis at Salt Lake City to drive back to FL for $22. Just walked up to the counter and asked what they had, no previous reservation.

rlmmarine

WKR
Just flew back with an elk yesterday
Co taxidermist wanted 625 to ship the mount so I paid the 50 dollars for the hide under the plane
I had a meat processer process and vacume seel the elk 300 dollars. They said to overnight the meat to fl was going to be 825. I had brought soft side 50 qt coolers by columbia. I had the processor load them to 48 lb and put 5 lb of dry ice in each and checked them under the plane. I left the horns with the taxidermist because they were soft and in velvet to be freeze dried 150 dollars plus shipping to my house. In short my plane ticket to Orlando with 1 day notice on frontier with gun case, luggage case, 3 additional checked cooler bags of meat, 1 carry on cooler of meat, and my hunting pack on my back full of valuables, the only part of the elk left was antlers was 525 dollars

KHNC

WKR
You can create a Delta Shipper account also. This seems to be the best option i have discovered. You check the shipping containers at the counter under your shipping account number. Then pick up and dock at your destination. It flies home on the same plane as you. Go to delta.com to create the account. Takes a couple of weeks to get setup.

OP
Dlbuttram21
Thanks for the help guys.

That is an interesting thought. What type of money does the shipper route cost a man.

KHNC

WKR
they give you costs once you are signed up depending on location. Much less than checking bags tho.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Fly out there and drive home, if successful.

On a totally unrelated note, I hope to be driving elk meat and antlers home in October. Lol

Unclemoe

FNG
You can also ship your gear and clothes home too ship it cheap and slow who cares jf your dirty clothes take a week to get home u can carry on a soft sided cooler and then theres less to check

OP
Dlbuttram21
One thing I left out is I will not be able to freeze my meat. I will have to put dry ice on it when I get back to civilization. Will it freeze the meat?

Lariat

FNG
I had my last one shipped on a frozen food carrier. Much cheaper than all the other options I have used in the past. I think it was around 250.00 from CO to FL. The carrier took it to the hub closest to me and I picked it up there. The company I used was FFE....Frozen Food Express.

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
Co taxidermist wanted 625 to ship the mount so I paid the 50 dollars for the hide under the plane
I had a meat processer process and vacume seel the elk 300 dollars. They said to overnight the meat to fl was going to be 825. I had brought soft side 50 qt coolers by columbia. I had the processor load them to 48 lb and put 5 lb of dry ice in each and checked them under the plane. I left the horns with the taxidermist because they were soft and in velvet to be freeze dried 150 dollars plus shipping to my house. In short my plane ticket to Orlando with 1 day notice on frontier with gun case, luggage case, 3 additional checked cooler bags of meat, 1 carry on cooler of meat, and my hunting pack on my back full of valuables, the only part of the elk left was antlers was 525 dollars
Is there a July elk season that I don’t know about?

Iamjigs

FNG
I had my last one shipped on a frozen food carrier. Much cheaper than all the other options I have used in the past. I think it was around 250.00 from CO to FL. The carrier took it to the hub closest to me and I picked it up there. The company I used was FFE....Frozen Food Express.

That is genius! Will definitely look into this.

Another thought I had is that First Class airfare has different baggage restrictions.
On Delta you get 2 free checked bags that can go up to 70lbs instead of the standard 50lbs. That should get all of the meat on the airplane with you if you ship your gear home separately!

rlmmarine

WKR
Is there a July elk season that I don’t know about?
Farmers are issued tags they can give away or sell for the months of june and july. Great way to take a non pressured bull with a firearm. The farmer I went through told me he could get an unlimited number of bull elk tags. I went through Gunnison county outfitters. I first learned about this last year on rokslide and that was the first question I thought aswell
PM me for more details I'll due a write up shortly. But it was an awesome hunt and all hunters in my group killed their bulls.

Ph&s3

FNG
That's a good idea

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
I can usually get away with flying back with a mule deer or anything smaller. Flying with an elk would get pricey quick. I usually rent a vehicle and drive it home (FL). Most rental cars have unlimited miles, no issue to do multi/state drop off, and sometimes they will offer specials on certain cars that aren’t in high demand. I once got a large van from Avis at Salt Lake City to drive back to FL for $22. Just walked up to the counter and asked what they had, no previous reservation.
I am trying to figure out the same situation. How long d

I am trying to figure this out too if I get lucky. How long did it take for the elk processor to do their job before you could fly back?

rlmmarine

WKR

I am trying to figure this out too if I get lucky. How long did it take for the elk processor to do their job before you could fly back?
The processor I used was able to Butcher vacume pack, and hard freeze the meat in 24 hrs

Bear_b23

FNG

Drive back is cheaper hoss

njdoxie

WKR
I always fly meat home, ship my clothes and gear. I fill a large suitcase, gladly pay overage fees, fill a large cooler, pay overage, fill my backpack, maybe leave a little with my friend, I maybe pay $200 extra total to fly it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk