Getting everything there and back.

Thess87

WKR
I’m sure it’s been covered but it’s been about six months since I’ve went through every thread on here. I’ve looked at the shipping meat thread and it seems just checking as baggage is the way to go but what is everyone doing for there gear and etc. I thought about mailing mine to beetles early and mailing it home. Opinions?

AKBorn

WKR
Taking your meat home as checked luggage is a good way to do it, just keep the meat as chilled as you can before your fly home date. As for mailing gear ahead of time, I would try to make sure to nail down where it will be mailed, who will receive it, and where it will be kept until your arrival. I would also want to ship it early to confirm it got there, before I jumped on the plane to fly up.

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
I’m going with BRA they said they would hold it but is that the best/cheapest way u think?

AKBorn

WKR
How much stuff are you taking, in terms of how many pounds? Once you know that, you could compare the cost of shipping it up via a reliable shipping option, versus checking it on the airplane as excess baggage. Don't try to go too cheap - think of the cost of your gear NOT being there, and how that would impact your hunt.

I can't provide more specifics, because I have a storage unit in AK where I keep most of my gear except rifle/pack/ammo/food. So I stopped hauling large amounts of gear back and forth to AK many years ago...

If you can get all your gear into 2 large duffels and one carry-on or backpack, that's somewhere in the vicinity of 120 pounds (50+50+20). In that scenario I wouldn't ship ahead as it will cost more versus the extra bag cost on the airlines. The only reasons to ship ahead would be convenience or to save serious money.

One small tip you might use: I try to buy as much of my foodstuff as possible from vendors which offer free shipping. Mountain House, energy bars, snacks....everything possible gets ordered and I have it shipped directly to my pilot. Saves me money and hassle every time. Most of my food is waiting for me when I arrive.

If you do decide to ship anything, USPS Parcel Post is about the only practical (cost wise) way to go. Priority will be very costly, as will UPS or FedEx. If you ship Parcel Post I recommend a minimum lead time of 4 weeks and more is better.

Last edited:
I was a little different but had the same idea as Kevin. I took all of my gear in 3 duffel bags that I shoved inside hard sided Tupperware. When I came home I checked the three bags and then loaded the Tupperware to 99 pounds worth of meat and shipped it all home on the plane with me. Alaska Airlines was fantastic about it and didn’t question it one bit. I ended up having 3 Tupperware and one gun case going up and it cost me $150 going. Coming home I brought home 8 total checked “bags” and it cost me $350. (3 Bags, 3 Tupperware, Gun case, antlers). That was almost 300 pounds of meat and all my gear. The post office had quoted me $100 per Tupperware just going up so I figured it was cheaper for me to just take it with me.

Last edited:
OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback. Always nice to guys that have been up there.

I was a little different but had the same idea as Kevin. I took all of my gear in 3 duffel bags that I shoved inside hard sided Tupperware. When I came home I checked the three bags and then loaded the Tupperware to 99 pounds worth of meat and shipped it all home on the plane with me. Alaska Airlines was fantastic about it and didn’t question it one bit. I ended up having 3 Tupperware and one gun case going up and it cost me $150 going. Coming home I brought home 8 total checked “bags” and it cost me $350. (3 Bags, 3 Tupperware, Gun case, antlers). That was almost 300 pounds of meat and all my gear. The post office had quoted me $100 per Tupperware just going up so I figured it was cheaper for me to just take it with me.

You have a picture of you bins you used? I like that idea! Beats fish boxes I toss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the Rubbermaid action packers. They are pretty robust but they are also expensive and pretty heavy (7 pounds I think). I think there are better options out there. I just wanted some that I could zip tie closed, take the beating from the TSA and baggage handlers, and could support the weight. Probably just getting a heavy duty hardware Tupperware from Lowe’s or Home Depot or somewhere like that would work too.

I've also used Rubbermaid-type totes to ship or fly gear around. They work great but you'll need a cart to move them around the airport. Duffels are easier to put in a rental car along with your buddy's gear. Totes work great in the back of a pickup and are fairly weather tight. Smaller totes can actually go in a bush plane, and then to camp.

Definetely agree with Kevin. If you use the Tupperware make sure you know what the outfitter is going to pick you up in and that you have a place to store them in their hanger. I used the medium sized ones so I didn’t take them with me on the bush plane. They stayed back in the hanger. I also took some big black industrial garbage bags and put the meat inside of those before putting it in the Tupperware for the trip home. All in all, this worked great, for me and my situation, but for others the duffels may be a better option.

BillB

FNG
I’m going with BRA they said they would hold it but is that the best/cheapest way u think?

BRA will hold it in their hanger. They will place all of,your party's"items" on a tarp in the hanger. You can leave totes, hard gun cases etc on your tarp while afield.

I would suggest following the advise of previous posters and carrying your gear with you if possible. If you do send gear, make sure you keep an itemized list of what is packed in each parcel /tote. Make sure you get a tracking number for each item

We had a tote get lost in the mail 2 years ago and it never made it to Bettles. Because we were able to discern that the Postal Service had no idea where the package was, and we knew what we were missing ,we were able to arrange /purchase replacement gear for the trip- obviously not ideal but we made it work.
Getting the gear to the post office in Bettles and making a flight back to Fairbanks on a tight schedule proved to be challenging as well.
Jay, Judy and their staff are great folks- you'll have a great time.

Beendare

WKR
If you can get all your gear into 2 large duffels and one carry-on or backpack, that's somewhere in the vicinity of 120 pounds (50+50+20). In that scenario I wouldn't ship ahead as it will cost more versus the extra bag cost on the airlines. The only reasons to ship ahead would be convenience or to save serious money.....

I would agree with this^.
Plus it forces you to condense your gear down to the essentials, typically the bush pilot will want you to do that anyway. I pack a couple extra dry bags for meat...last thing the airlines want is blood running out of your suit case.

The other option for meat is waxed boxes....they are pretty ubiquitous up there. So many guys fishing AK and bringing back fish you could bring some food grade bags, and then buy some wax boxes up there for the trip back.

DennisT

FNG
I was just curious if anyone has issues with getting meat and capes back home without spoiling, and what you do to prevent it from happening.

Thanks,
Dennis