Getting From Anchorage to Tok

robie

WKR
4 us are going with 40 Mil Air in August for caribou.

Renting a U-Haul 9 person van was suggested and is affordable. Only dilemma is they only can carry 2 people. I called the places in Anchorage and they only have 2 seats.

Is my best option to rent two of them? Or does anyone else have a better idea?

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
What about contacting Wright Air, and round trip them, should be about 300 bucks is all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
Don't you have to pay per mile on the uhaul option? We rented an F150 for 3 of us last year from Fairbanks to Tok and it was around $900 for I believe 12 days, unlimited miles. Then you'd be able to get 4 guys in. I will warn you though, it was interesting getting gear, meat, horns in an F150 for 3 dudes. If we'd have had ratchet straps we could have stacked more though.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Don't you have to pay per mile on the uhaul option? We rented an F150 for 3 of us last year from Fairbanks to Tok and it was around $900 for I believe 12 days, unlimited miles. Then you'd be able to get 4 guys in. I will warn you though, it was interesting getting gear, meat, horns in an F150 for 3 dudes. If we'd have had ratchet straps we could have stacked more though.

Who did you rent through?

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Wright Air doesn't say they fly to Tok on their site. Am I missing something?
I'll be damned, they don't, thought they did. Doesn't 40 mile air run back and forth from Fairbanks? If they do, that could be an option and fly right into Fairbanks and go from there??

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I'll be damned, they don't, thought they did. Doesn't 40 mile air run back and forth from Fairbanks? If they do, that could be an option and fly right into Fairbanks and go from there??

They do but we are flying into Anchorage. We've got a buddy who is taking us out before and after in Anchorage.

ndbuck09

WKR
We rented from Enterprise but I'd just shop all of the rental companies. When I looked at the mileage rate on the uhauls, it was quite similar in price to just doing a regular vehicle. Plus, a regular vehicle gets a lot better mpg's

If successful, will you be driving back (to Anchorage) with meat and antlers? The answer will determine what size and type vehicle(s) you should consider. Don't rent a car if you're bringing back antlers. Truck or van would be better, but 4 guys will have a lot of gear, plus meat, plus antlers. Two vehicles may well be your easiest and convenient option. The cost may be a bit inconvenient, but welcome to diy hunting in Alaska.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
If successful, will you be driving back (to Anchorage) with meat and antlers? The answer will determine what size and type vehicle(s) you should consider. Don't rent a car if you're bringing back antlers. Truck or van would be better, but 4 guys will have a lot of gear, plus meat, plus antlers. Two vehicles may well be your easiest and convenient option. The cost may be a bit inconvenient, but welcome to diy hunting in Alaska.

Yes driving back with gear. I'm looking into crew cab trucks. and bringing ratchet straps. Otherwise looks like two vehicles is the way to go.

Yes driving back with gear. I'm looking into crew cab trucks. and bringing ratchet straps. Otherwise looks like two vehicles is the way to go.

Small thing, but no need to bring ratchet straps with you. Anchorage will have plenty of easy places to buy them, and no difference in price vs lower 48. Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, numerous sporting goods and hardware stores within 15 minutes of the airport. If traveling with non-waterproof bags in bed of truck, I would buy the big 55 gallon contractor bags and put them over each bag in case of rain. Tarps are nothing but a headache unless you tie them down meticulously.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
What day are you flying in? I am needing the same transportation Aug 8th and may have a couple leads that will get cheaper with more guys.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
I've rented a motorhome from ABC rentals in Anchorage. I believe they have cars, suvs, vans, trucks, etc. also. I would give them a call. Better rates the sooner you book. I had a good experience with them.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I've rented a motorhome from ABC rentals in Anchorage. I believe they have cars, suvs, vans, trucks, etc. also. I would give them a call. Better rates the sooner you book. I had a good experience with them.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Thank you for this. Good option.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Fair enough, i have some personal friends that are taking me up I believe.
Second the ABC rentals. Used them once and will on the second part of my trip this August

It would be real nice to have a buddy to take us up there. ABC looks like a reasonable price for good vehicles.

Who are you flying out of Tok with?