Getting From Anchorage to Tok

Bambistew

WKR
Check out Turo. I've only used it once, but it was pretty easy to use, and saved me a bunch on a rental for a pickup, and I got a great "off-road" capable pickup for a hunt. It was older, but worked great.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
MOst hunters fly in to Anchorage, some to FBKS. They rent a Uhaul truck or van because the return logistics are simplified with meat/antler transportation back to the hub and out to commercial air.

The drive is roughly 5 hours from anchorage and 3 hours from Fbks. Hub services are easier in Anch, and all traffic connects through anchorage from Fbks...

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
$0-mile Air services flies to Tok from Fbks, not Wright Air. Price is around $300 but expect overage fees for gear.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
It would be real nice to have a buddy to take us up there. ABC looks like a reasonable price for good vehicles.

Who are you flying out of Tok with?

I use the term "friend" loosely, more or less hoping extended friends of friends can provide some help HA, but was hoping you were on the same time frame to throw in some more coaxing to assist

I will be with a guide, going for sheep. He has his own pilot license to get us to the mountains.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
MOst hunters fly in to Anchorage, some to FBKS. They rent a Uhaul truck or van because the return logistics are simplified with meat/antler transportation back to the hub and out to commercial air.

The drive is roughly 5 hours from anchorage and 3 hours from Fbks. Hub services are easier in Anch, and all traffic connects through anchorage from Fbks...

Thanks Larry. The Uhaul route would be great with two guys. With 4 it means two trucks or two very uncomfortable passengers.

We are committed to Anchorage as we have a buddy there taking us fishing after the hunt.

We here the route is very scenic to Tok so I'm looking forward to taking in the sights.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Check out Turo. I've only used it once, but it was pretty easy to use, and saved me a bunch on a rental for a pickup, and I got a great "off-road" capable pickup for a hunt. It was older, but worked great.

Never heard of it before. Has some great options. Thanks for the suggestion.

Texizona

FNG
My wife and I rented a van at the airport in Anchorage. It was more than big enough for the 2 of us, including antlers. I think it could be done with 4, but you would have to pack carefully.

We spoke with a group of 4 who went the Uhaul route and they said they wouldn't do it again.

AKBorn

WKR
Andrew - glad all of your group is still committed and are excited to go!

The first 120 miles or so of the drive from Anchorage to Tok (from Anchorage until a ways past Eureka) is some of the prettiest country along the Alaska road system. About 20 miles after you pass Eureka, the terrain flattens out and you will have about 60 miles of driving where you basically see trees on both sides of the road until you hit Glenallen.

Try to leave Anchorage around 9ish, and stop in to eat lunch at Eureka Lodge - it's really the last good lunch place, I'm not a big fan of the couple lunch spots in Glenallen. I always grab a slice of pie for the road after eating lunch in the lodge.

Before you get to Eureka, as you climb out of Caribou Creek, stop in the pullout about halfway up the ridge climbing up after crossing the Caribou Creek bridge. If you park there and check on the mountain right across the road from the pullout, you can often see some animals up on that steep face.

The first 120 miles or so of the drive from Anchorage to Tok (from Anchorage until a ways past Eureka) is some of the prettiest country along the Alaska road system. About 20 miles after you pass Eureka, the terrain flattens out and you will have about 60 miles of driving where you basically see trees on both sides of the road until you hit Glenallen.

Try to leave Anchorage around 9ish, and stop in to eat lunch at Eureka Lodge - it's really the last good lunch place, I'm not a big fan of the couple lunch spots in Glenallen. I always grab a slice of pie for the road after eating lunch in the lodge.

Good advice here. Put the best camera guy up front in the passenger seat. Plenty of glaciers, peaks and scenic vistas on that side. Ten miles past Glenallen you'll hang right on the Tok Cutoff. Some pretty nice views on the way to Tok, though the trees become more boreal in nature and black spruce becomes prevalent.

If you're looking for a superb breakfast spot in Anchorage I can recommend Snow City Cafe downtown. I believe they open at 7 or 7:30 and they are always busy. Some extremely good menu choices there for sure, and they have some great bakery items to take on the road.

cnelk

WKR
Here’s a pic of the hwy before you arrive in Glennallen

If you can zoom in, you can see a cow moose and calves crossing the road up ahead060C1C0A-894B-4779-9262-2AD4B3AA23F9.jpeg

Hudge

FNG
Just be careful when you are renting from a car rental company like Hertz or Enterprise. I had to rent a car from Enterprise in January while I was back home in AK for R&R. I had rented from them the previous year when I hit a moose, but they recently changed some of their rules. I had to sign an agreement saying I would not be using the car to transport fish or wildlife in. I asked why this was, and they said it was due to incidents with people transporting mainly fish and the stench was so bad they could not get it out of the rentals.

One kind of non conventional thought, pool your money and get a truck or van off Craigslist and then sell it when you are done. It would probably take some figuring out with your buddy but if you play your cards right you could probably come out about even in the end. It would be a risk but just a "outside the box" thought.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Andrew - glad all of your group is still committed and are excited to go!

Before you get to Eureka, as you climb out of Caribou Creek, stop in the pullout about halfway up the ridge climbing up after crossing the Caribou Creek bridge. If you park there and check on the mountain right across the road from the pullout, you can often see some animals up on that steep face.

Thank you Michael. Vanessa told me to call back and would give us a few spots as well. This sounds great. I was told the 5 hour drive could be extended quite a bit just depending on how many times we pull over to take pictures.

Anyone on here in Tok on the 11th or 18/19th, drinks are one me. This forum has really made the tasks of planning this trip a little less daunting.

VernAK

WKR
"drinks are on me"

If I can get the bus running, I'll bring a load of Deltoids to Tok.

Let me know where you're being flown into for you caribou.

bowuntr

WKR
I love this. I would buy this guy a beer just for his creativity.
That would be me... my first time driving to Tok. We fit all our gear and 2 caribou in there. Now we use a UHaul van. If you're going with 6... a van and a car that seats 4 would be my suggestion. Ed F

OP
robie

robie

WKR
That would be me... my first time driving to Tok. We fit all our gear and 2 caribou in there. Now we use a UHaul van. If you're going with 6... a van and a car that seats 4 would be my suggestion. Ed F

I just booked a Chevy Quad Cab 2500 with the long bed. Hopefully with some tow straps and the long bed we can get everything back to anchorage in 1 piece.

AKBorn

WKR
I just booked a Chevy Quad Cab 2500 with the long bed. Hopefully with some tow straps and the long bed we can get everything back to anchorage in 1 piece.

Good deal Andrew! Won't be long now, time is flying. My hunt partner and I fly (weather permitting) into the bush on August 29, and return to Tok on September 5. About the time when Vern and the moose hunters will be flying out. :)

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Good deal Andrew! Won't be long now, time is flying. My hunt partner and I fly (weather permitting) into the bush on August 29, and return to Tok on September 5. About the time when Vern and the moose hunters will be flying out. :)

I'm sorry I will miss you by a few days. 4.5 months till we head that way!