Getting in a Bulls Bedroom - How long does your scent linger?

bcnorth

FNG
September 5th I had found a heavily used area by what i think was a bachelor herd of 4 bulls and possibly several cows. The bulls were hanging out in the timber and there were very little openings. About half way up the mountain on a saddle i found several wallow/piss pits and numerous fresh rubs and old rubs. Some of these rubs were on 10inch diameter trees.

I found the area in the afternoon and and a couple of the wallows reeked like elk urine, not sure how long ago he was there but i was guessing overnight or in the morning. No bulls showed up in the late afternoon or early evening and all i had done was sit quiet and throw out a few location bugles - no response.

First light, 5:30 - 6:00 am in northern bc, i was back there and it was dead quiet. I figured that the bulls were probably down lower feeding still and getting their last drink for the morning. About 7:00am i hear a very quiet, low single note and short moan. After the next 15 minutes i hear a couple more of those mixed with low temperature bugles and a bit of chuckling and they were coming right at me.

About 7:30am the bulls stop coming and seem to hang out below the bedroom and continue to make noise. Suddenly up the mountain and away from the bulls comes another bugle and another and larger sounding heading straight for the bedroom. I went for the big wallow and was distracted by a black bear that decided to walk in all the action and get within 5yards and screw up my approaching the bull. I just missed my opportunity.

After this i try to cow call, bugle and get one small response as he works his way up and away. I decided to back off and try again later in the afternoon and next morning. My tactic was to slip on the opposite side of the saddle to avoid the thermals as he is working up then approach as he gets to his wallow on the flat.

and finally i get to the point ..... If i was to stay in the bedroom and display as Elk Nut suggests, How long will my scent linger and does this affect his approach and hanging out in the area? I was not wanting to "chum up" the area as my hunting partners likes to suggest!

In the end, the bulls snuck up the opposite side i thought they were coming the next morning and i was winded. It went dead silent as expected and the gig was up. The wind was consistent for about 30 minutes at a time then it would change and i would have to adjust, it was very difficult to wait on that saddle.

Any other tips are welcome, i really wanted that opportunity!

thanks

Marble

WKR
The answer is it depends. Days for sure. The more you are in an area the more it will smell like you.

There are lots variables.

I have seen elk cross a trail people were just on. And I've seen them stop, smell the ground and bolt.

Microscopic particles fall from your body wherever you are at. They lay on the ground until the decompose or get moved. That how dogs smell the path of animals and people.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Not quite apples to apples, but a lion's scent doesn't last that long before it's a cold track. A day maybe and they have a heavier scent trail than a human does. A little wind and the dogs struggle on a older track. Damp conditions help hold the scent. Dry and you have to be within hours of the cat passing through or its really tough.

I would suspect a day at the most, and half a day if it's really dry. If you sit in a spot, it probably lasts longer, but still I doubt it is days.

Jeremy

ElkNut1

WKR
The human scent lasts less than an hour on dry ground. I have many trail cam photos of elk visiting the area within 20 minutes of leaving a trail cam.

2nd, when hunting bedding areas where I'm using an Advertising Sequence or Challenging Bugle I do & recommend you to be outside the bedding area not in it! You need to consider being from 100 to 150 yards on a good calling setup for quicker results but I'd stay away from entering it in case the bull doesn't show, this way no harm no foul & you can hunt it another day.

If your presence is detected by smell or visual spotting you they most likely will leave the area for good! This goes for cows or bulls detecting your presence!

ElkNut

OP
B

bcnorth

FNG
Great, thanks! I admit i didnt want to go into the bedroom area and into the wallows but my curiosity got the best of me. I knew it was a mistake but the rubs were so numerous and big, ground so torn up i had to investigate.

Next time i find the beds and wallows i will stay just outside and advertise and back out or try a challenge if he is close.

I love finding those bedrooms and wallows on slope breaks up on the mountain, year after year there is a big bull in those same bedrooms. Hoping to get out one more time to get at it.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
The human scent lasts less than an hour on dry ground. I have many trail cam photos of elk visiting the area within 20 minutes of leaving a trail cam.

2nd, when hunting bedding areas where I'm using an Advertising Sequence or Challenging Bugle I do & recommend you to be outside the bedding area not in it! You need to consider being from 100 to 150 yards on a good calling setup for quicker results but I'd stay away from entering it in case the bull doesn't show, this way no harm no foul & you can hunt it another day.

If your presence is detected by smell or visual spotting you they most likely will leave the area for good! This goes for cows or bulls detecting your presence!

ElkNut

Paul as always great advice and wisdom for the elk woods. If I could manage to avoid the sheep herds in Eastern Idaho I think I’d be able to apply a bit more of what I’ve learned from you over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk