Getting in sheep hunt shape?

Ryan28

FNG
Thought about placing this in the physical training section, but ultimately decided I wanted to focus on exercises and movements specific to sheep.
I'm very much a flat lander and now after 4 years of overnights, over working and fast food...I'm in the worst shape I've ever been and most overweight.

I realize sheep hunting is a young man's game and I'm going the opposite way... so my goal is to start this year training, and start applying for tags next year.

USMC-40

WKR
I live in NW MO - no mountains to be had here, but some decent hills. Jump lunges, jump squats, sprints, followed by throwing on a pack and going up and down one of the larger hills you can find works. Build time/duration/reps with proficiency. (Just my suggestion, it works for me, by mid-July I am doing this style workout for a couple hours a couple times a week).

Mdf45

FNG
Thought about placing this in the physical training section, but ultimately decided I wanted to focus on exercises and movements specific to sheep.
I'm very much a flat lander and now after 4 years of overnights, over working and fast food...I'm in the worst shape I've ever been and most overweight.

I realize sheep hunting is a young man's game and I'm going the opposite way... so my goal is to start this year training, and start applying for tags next year.
I think

Mdf45

FNG
I don’t think you need mountains to get in shape for sheep either,. get your cardio in and eat healthy and you’ll be fine . When you’re in the mountains its better to get lighter than to get stronger ( to some degree)If you can drop some pounds your knees will thank you for it

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Edit:

I've removed the post. It was based on outdated info.

Don't use a mask, im using out dated information and never looked up the latest info on this as I thought I had the latest info. I've looked into it since posting and others have mentioned and my information on this is now 6-7years old.

Last edited:
Depriving your lungs of oxygen while working out has to be the silliest shit I've ever heard. There is no reason to do that... If you are limiting oxygen to your lungs you are also affecting your brain and the ability for it to focus or be alert.

You should be trying to maximize your ability to deliver oxygen to working muscles.

But I am not a Doctor, just hunt in the mountains a bit.

MattB

WKR
Make sure you condition your feet and ankles as much as possible, sidehilling and such. That is one area I have repeatedly heard flatlanders complain that they dis not prepare for and suffered as a result.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
I've removed the post as I was using outdated information others have pointed out it is not safe to use a mask and I have followed up and I would agree with the research out there now in this. The info I had was 6-7 years out of date and thought it was the latest.

Last edited:

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Posts have been removed as I went back and looked into this more and my info is 6-7 years old I was using. Apologies for suggesting something that has since been proving to be dangerous as people were passing out from it.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Its actually done quite a bit in combative sports and other sports. It makes your lungs work harder, doesn't simulate the lower oxygen levels, it just builds lung strength which can facilitate in delivering oxygen to your muscles when working harder at higher elevations and allow you to clear CO2 more efficiently/faster.

You can call it what ya want but workouts are harder, and i have seen improved endurance and not experience the burn in the lungs when at elevation and breathing hard, because they are getting fatigued.

I should say thay nothing takes the place of actually putting the time in at elevation (can take weeks to acclimate), but doing things like this, building the legs, hiking, sidehills, etc are sometimes all people have that live in areas with no mountains to hike.

No it isn’t done quite a bit in combative sports, there was a workout mask that came out like 5 years ago and was marketed towards fighters, a few low level mma fighters pushed them. Research showed that now only do they not work as advertised but they were very dangerous. People were passing out from lack of oxygen and suffering serious brain damage because that thing was still on their face after they passed out.

It was a very VERY short lived fad because it didn’t work and is incredibly dangerous.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Disregard my suggestion then, apparently I'm not up to date on the latest info my bad. I'll remove my post.

Better yet talk to a sports therapist about how to do this and disregard all the advice here and get professional help.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don’t think you need mountains to get in shape for sheep either,. get your cardio in and eat healthy and you’ll be fine . When you’re in the mountains its better to get lighter than to get stronger ( to some degree)If you can drop some pounds your knees will thank you for it

Greg Mchale has a few videos of how he trains with a backpack and a step box. I was reading an article by him a few months ago and he was talking about the limited outdoor training in the wintertime so that’s what he does.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Edited my posts to reflect the current research on using masks, my info was old and outdated and does not reflect the current information on this which shows it is an unsafe practice.

Mdf45

FNG
Greg Mchale has a few videos of how he trains with a backpack and a step box. I was reading an article by him a few months ago and he was talking about the limited outdoor training in the wintertime so that’s what he does.
Right on , I’m going to look into that

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Right on , I’m going to look into that

The journal of mountain hunting website also had a few articles on box training but with a different take than the other guy I mentioned. That one calls for using a really heavy pack and doing relatively low rep low cadence work but with near max weight, more of a strength based approach VS. Greg mcchales endurance approach.

Mdf45

FNG
The journal of mountain hunting website also had a few articles on box training but with a different take than the other guy I mentioned. That one calls for using a really heavy pack and doing relatively low rep low cadence work but with near max weight, more of a strength based approach VS. Greg mcchales endurance approach.
It’s not hunting specific at all but Pavel Tsatsouline is pretty interesting when it comes to functional strength training . He’s worth listening to .... in my opinion

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It’s not hunting specific at all but Pavel Tsatsouline is pretty interesting when it comes to functional strength training . He’s worth listening to .... in my opinion

I like pavels kettle bell training stuff.