Getting information in the backcountry

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,
Been lurking here for 2+ years. Started elk hunting with a buddy in 2015 and have gone out every Sept and Nov/Dec since. Mostly since we aren't so great at bowhunting yet and need to return to get the job done during rifle season. I am lucky enough to have hunted 3 states, and filled tags with archery and gun. We have shot mostly cow elk, using mostly rifles so far. We are to the point where we are fairly confident we can fill cow elk tags and probably need to focus more on chasing bulls. In 2016 in Wyoming we both bungled up good opportunities at bulls using bows and have had a hard time getting into a good setup again.

We seem to find ourselves in areas where we have some minimal cell service when up on the ridge tops but rarely data. Data is also hard to come by even in some of the small towns unless you can find a restaurant or library with wifi. This has become an ongoing frustration especially if we decide to switch areas and haven't planned ahead well. There has also been times with unpredictable weather and we might have chosen a different plan if we knew more up to date information.

I am toying with the idea of building an application that will allow you to text a specific message to a predefined phone number and receive back detailed weather data similar to what you could pull from NOAA if you had data access. I don't have any aspirations at this point for it to be anything beyond personal use but I'm hoping for some feedback on this topic.

When you are in the backcountry, and had the ability to send a text and get some information back that would benefit your situation what would it be? Anything besides weather?

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Help, weather its friends, family, for packing meat or paramedics. But now were basically talking an inreach at that point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cc1

FNG
If I could add a quick news feed or sports scores to that I would.

Trial153

WKR
Inreach will get you up to date weather based on your gps location.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
I believe the OP is really referring to being able to download aerial images on ONX if he needs to change hunting locations.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
Nice thing about learning to hunt before all this technology was around is being able to hunt without technology. Sure technology can be useful but I'm glad I am not a slave to it. Check the weather before going and just be prepared for what happens. Paper maps believe it or not are still usefull. Always had good luck with the power of conversation in town with the locals on general information. All that said, the Inreach would be all you really need.

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
When I go hunting, I'm pretty much out of contact with the rest of the world.......and prefer it that way. I can't really think of any kind of info that I could get while back there that would change the way I hunt or help me much.
Completely agree. Getting away from the noise of everyday life is a big part of being in the backcountry.

Beendare

WKR
You mean like live streaming the 49ers Packers game? /grin

It would have been nice to know that the Twin Towers was attacked...but then really there ain't much a guy can do about it in the backcountry, eh? A family emergency I suppose. ......otherwise Weather.