Getting into hunting shape

From what I have experienced the best way to get into hunting shape is unfortunately just to night the bullet and go hunting. I’m curious if you have certain cardio or weightlifting exercise that seem to be extremely beneficial.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Other than hiking with a backpack on, I really like weighted junprope, weighted box step ups, kettlebell work and basic strength work with a barbell (squats, deadlifts, overhead presses).

airbuds

FNG
Other than hiking with a backpack on, I really like weighted junprope, weighted box step ups, kettlebell work and basic strength work with a barbell (squats, deadlifts, overhead presses).

Well said.
Going hunting or not, it doesn't hurt to keep fit.

malJohann

FNG
Advanced calisthenics. Being able to move your bodyweight on your arms or legs through its whole range of motion should be step 1 in functional strength.

Get the Convict Conditioning book and work the 6 power moves through all their 10 steps (each), starting at beginner through intermediate and progression for each step.

When you get to step 6 on the 1st 4 power moves, that should be all the strength you need. Anything more is a bonus.

Get the paperback, e-books and PDF’s don’t do it justice, plus it’s a handy reference and just works better when exercising.

xcutter

WKR
I'm a bigger guy. Jogging or running just tears my body up. So this year in the spring I purchased a fan bike and it was a game changer for me. Get some killer cardio and no tearing up my body. Made a huge difference for me this elk season. For me cardio is king when training for any hunting season. I also like to do lots of walking lunges, push-ups and planks. Rucking is a big help as well. Put on a weighted pack find a big steep hill and walk up and down throwing in some side hilling to build up your stability muscles in your legs. Having a buddy to do this is a big help as well to push yourself. Example going all the way to the top of the hill before you stop to catch your breath. Set those type goals to increase your endurance. This is what works for me.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Crossfit style workouts , box step ups with my pack and some sandbags , ruck up hills with pack. That works for me at least.
When at the shooting range I also will do some burpees or something to get my heart rate jacked and practice shooting realistic positions .

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The good people at MTN TOUGH fitness put real research into developing their programs specific to backcountry hunting.

It is not a gimmick. I have long made fitness a part of my life, driven largely by my desire to hunt hard, and the MTN TOUGH programs have been the best foundation for me. I used to come up with my own programs, and it worked ok, but was inconsistent even at my best.

MTN TOUGH gave me clear direction, and daily expectations and motivations to push onward.

I would recommend the 30-30 body weight program for somebody just starting out. Moving eventually to the Postseason Strength, Preseason Prep, and In season program cycle.

Think of fitness as a lifestyle commitment and not just a seasonal (or specific hunt) preparation.

Scoot

WKR
I do 30 minutes of cardio/day and some relatively light lifting 3x/week. Then I add in extra running and biking in June, July, and Aug to ramp up for the season a bit. This works well for me. It gets tough to fit it all in through the summer months, but sure makes a difference on my hunts.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I also use the MTN Tough programs. I completed the 45-70 pack program prior to hunting season and just started the no gear 60.
I felt physically better on the mountain this year compared to prior years where I was just lifting weights and doing some cardio.
I like having the structure of the program for motivation and accountability.

Catchfish

WKR
I cheat i'm still young (34) and I don't do anything yet but that may change in the future. I figure I'm busy enough walk 5-6 miles a day at work and climb lots of ladders already. Chase 3 kids around and wrestle with them. Plus splitting wood and pushing a lawn mower at home and doing my own projects instead of hiring out and working at the family fish site pulling nets by hand in the summer. Plus my outdoor activities should involve some exercise like paddling, hiking, walking on the beach, xc skiing. l I hope that my lifestyle keeps me in shape enough to go have fun hunting.

DavePwns

WKR
Some great recommendations on here already

In my experience, In order of benefit

1. Weighted hiking up hills on uneven terrain
2. Sled pulls (over a mile)
3. Weighted step ups (12in step)
4. Kettlebell work (swings, single arm snatch, single arm clean and press)
5. Jump rope
6. Light - moderate barbell deadlift (135-225lbs for me, higher reps with slow perfect form)

You can make it as simple or complex as you want, doing something is better than nothing. Find activities or exercises that you enjoy and stick with it. Just dont do to much too quickly, recipe for injury.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’m 61, I can’t afford to get out of shape, it’s too hard to get back. I mtn bike, hike, and lift light weights.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone has had great advice. Work your core, then legs, then back. Don't forget to stretch a lot. You can be in great shape, but hammering your body for 3-10 days straight is going to take a good regime of recovery in order to last the whole hunt. Figure out what works best for you. The first thing to give out on me during a long hunt are my hip flexors. It's a marathon, not a sprint, so 100 percent go for longevity, and not sheer lifting power. If you only had time for one workout, weighted hikes would be the one to do. Best of luck.

*zap*

WKR
I think that if your training for multiple long & hard days you should gear your program to training every day as much as is possible taking into consideration occasional days off and 1/2 volume de-load weeks. You have to find what you can do daily on a work out every day program and still function well and it may take time to get to the point of getting good sessions in daily. You may have to start with 3-4 days straight and then a day or two off and work up to 'every day'. Again, let me stress de-load weeks @ 50% volume (maybe every 4th week to start and then 5th, 6th)and an occasional day off after you get to doing a harder workout daily.

JATails

FNG
Great stuff mentioned above, but one thing I plan on starting 2021 will be more stretching. I've never done yoga but I know my flexibility needs to improve and so i'll be including this to my workouts.

mwebs

WKR
I’m with catchfish, my workouts are bringing the beer to my mouth, casting a fly rod, rowing the boat, hiking, backpacking, skiing, living in the mountains. As I get older I’m sure I’ll need to start jogging and such.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Great stuff mentioned above, but one thing I plan on starting 2021 will be more stretching. I've never done yoga but I know my flexibility needs to improve and so i'll be including this to my workouts.
Yoga is definitely worth considering adding to your daily routine. I started doing Yoga daily at the start of this year and spend about 10 to 15 minutes each morning following along with YouTube videos. Its a great way to wake up and loosen up for the day. I subscribed to Yoga with Kassandra. She has lots of content and adds videos periodically. Easy to follow along with as well.