Getting Into it

G-Hought

FNG
Hey everyone,
I grew up with horses in my extended family and have been on a handful of pack trips with horses. Only one trip when I was about 20 that I took them on my own for a couple days, I do not consider myself very stock savy. After a lot of solo backpacking for the past 10 years or so I have really wanted to get into hunting with mules or horses. I really like the idea of being able to get back in deep with stock, then hike for the day.
So here is where I’m looking for advice. Because I haven’t rode for several years now, and don’t really have a mentor, how can I find out if it’s right for my kind of hunting before making a huge investment?
I was thinking of renting some stock for a hunt and giving that a try? Or making sure I buy something well trained for the backcountry? I’d be scared to get an animal with bad habits that I don’t have enough experience to train out of it. Any advice would be helpful!
Thanks

When you get back to Utah, buddy up to the local Back Country Horseman of America chapter nearest you. Go on some projects, absorb some of the knowledge on stock and trails. There's usually someone in those groups that's got an extra animal they'll let a strong back ride.