Getting into PRS Shooting

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello and hope everyone is doing well.

I was hoping to get some feedback on the Precision Rifle Series. Does anyone shoot PRS? If so, how did you get into it? What basics would you recommend for someone who’s interested? As always, appreciate any thoughts.

Dcrafton

WKR
First, locate a shoot.
Second, go as a spectator.
Third, volunteer as a range officer.
Fourth, sign up and have fun.

If you have never participated or ever been. It would help you to follow the simple steps above.
You could always jump right in and shoot, but you will have fun with steps 2 and 3.

Hope this kinda helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are out in Colorado you probably want to join the NRL. PRS seems to be more east coast and NRL is more west coast. Both series also have 1 day matches you can attend. They are PRS regional and NRL border wars. I would suggest shooting a few of those matches before you jump into the 2 day matches.

Just go shoot a match. Find a local match even or club match and just sign up and go shoot. Bring what you have for a rifle and you will be helped by everyone at the match. People will trip over themselves to help you out...let you shoot their rifles...try their gear. Precision rifle shooters are probably the friendliest most helpful shooters in any competitive shooting scene.

Once you go to that first club match and try different gear you can start figuring out what you like and dont like...then build your rifle. This wil prevent you from buying stuff you dont need.

I see a lot of people that want to get into precision rifle but they sit back and collect parts and gear and slowly build something and its months or a year before they actually go shoot. That is not the way to do it. Just jump in and have fun! I started shooting one of the series a couple years ago and just found a video online and thought i would like it. Signed up for a match and was shooting my first match a couple weeks later. Liked it so much i now shoot quite a few 2day matches.

If you have a 6 or 6.5mm rifle with a heavy barrel and 10 round mag and a decent scope plus a bipod you are good to go.

Also...the NRL has a loaner gun program...plus there are a lot of shooters out there that have a couple rigs...and would borrow you a rifle as well. Look into that and reach out to your local club...they will help get you into it.

Once again...just go shoot a match. Everyone there will be super helpful and let you use their bags and gear. Do not be intimidated...precision rifle shooters are helpful and awesome!

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
I would strongly recommend that you begin to go back and read some of the stuff Cal has written on precisionrifleblog.com

He's actually my boss and very well informed when it comes to long range work. There are hundreds of articles on there that will help with everything from building a rifle to PRS to ballistics.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
First, locate a shoot.
Second, go as a spectator.
Third, volunteer as a range officer.
Fourth, sign up and have fun.

If you have never participated or ever been. It would help you to follow the simple steps above.
You could always jump right in and shoot, but you will have fun with steps 2 and 3.

Hope this kinda helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Super helpful. I would have just thought to jump right in rather than ease in and get a feel for the atmosphere. Thank you.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are out in Colorado you probably want to join the NRL. PRS seems to be more east coast and NRL is more west coast. Both series also have 1 day matches you can attend. They are PRS regional and NRL border wars. I would suggest shooting a few of those matches before you jump into the 2 day matches.

Just go shoot a match. Find a local match even or club match and just sign up and go shoot. Bring what you have for a rifle and you will be helped by everyone at the match. People will trip over themselves to help you out...let you shoot their rifles...try their gear. Precision rifle shooters are probably the friendliest most helpful shooters in any competitive shooting scene.

Once you go to that first club match and try different gear you can start figuring out what you like and dont like...then build your rifle. This wil prevent you from buying stuff you dont need.

I see a lot of people that want to get into precision rifle but they sit back and collect parts and gear and slowly build something and its months or a year before they actually go shoot. That is not the way to do it. Just jump in and have fun! I started shooting one of the series a couple years ago and just found a video online and thought i would like it. Signed up for a match and was shooting my first match a couple weeks later. Liked it so much i now shoot quite a few 2day matches.

If you have a 6 or 6.5mm rifle with a heavy barrel and 10 round mag and a decent scope plus a bipod you are good to go.

Also...the NRL has a loaner gun program...plus there are a lot of shooters out there that have a couple rigs...and would borrow you a rifle as well. Look into that and reach out to your local club...they will help get you into it.

Once again...just go shoot a match. Everyone there will be super helpful and let you use their bags and gear. Do not be intimidated...precision rifle shooters are helpful and awesome!
Thanks so much for that information. I will check out NRL. The fact that they're so open to new shooters definitely makes it much less intimidating. Thanks again.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I would strongly recommend that you begin to go back and read some of the stuff Cal has written on precisionrifleblog.com

He's actually my boss and very well informed when it comes to long range work. There are hundreds of articles on there that will help with everything from building a rifle to PRS to ballistics.
I'll check it out. Thanks!

I would start here:

I'm in the process of getting into the game as well. I've shot a lot of firearms competitions - 3-gun, IDPA, USPSA, steel challenge, unnamed/uncategorized shoots, but never PRS/NRL. The common theme in competition shooting is to just start. Run what you brung. You can make changes along the way. Start out with very low goals. I'm talking safety and don't get DQ'd. Your only goal is to just absorb and learn for the most part at the beginning. It's an extremely welcoming environment and the only critical aspect is the criticism you place upon yourself. Just focus on following the rules and not forgetting your plan as soon as the buzzer goes off.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Can't tell you how many times I've been smoked by old dudes walking around making slow, deliberate, mistake-free movements.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I would start here:

I'm in the process of getting into the game as well. I've shot a lot of firearms competitions - 3-gun, IDPA, USPSA, steel challenge, unnamed/uncategorized shoots, but never PRS/NRL. The common theme in competition shooting is to just start. Run what you brung. You can make changes along the way. Start out with very low goals. I'm talking safety and don't get DQ'd. Your only goal is to just absorb and learn for the most part at the beginning. It's an extremely welcoming environment and the only critical aspect is the criticism you place upon yourself. Just focus on following the rules and not forgetting your plan as soon as the buzzer goes off.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Can't tell you how many times I've been smoked by old dudes walking around making slow, deliberate, mistake-free movements.
Great video. And thank you for your thoughtful response. Seems like starting low and slow and building your way up is the name of the game. Best of luck to you getting going!

I literally met a guy at the local range. He told me about a shoot they were having about 2 hours away in 3 weeks. I got the organizer's contact info, registered myself and a buddy and showed up with our hunting rigs. Got grouped with some really cool people who showed us the ropes. It was a lot of fun. Guys could tell that we did not fit in real well, but they were really welcoming. I learned that Tan and OD green is the preferred color of wardrobe. haha. Lots of the guys there are really good. Takes practice to calm yourself and just try and make your shots count. As a Novice, I felt rushed to get all the shots allowed at each station off. I quickly learned that you score better if you maybe only get 4 shots off, but 3 out of 4 connect, instead of shooting 6 shots and only connecting once or twice.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I literally met a guy at the local range. He told me about a shoot they were having about 2 hours away in 3 weeks. I got the organizer's contact info, registered myself and a buddy and showed up with our hunting rigs. Got grouped with some really cool people who showed us the ropes. It was a lot of fun. Guys could tell that we did not fit in real well, but they were really welcoming. I learned that Tan and OD green is the preferred color of wardrobe. haha. Lots of the guys there are really good. Takes practice to calm yourself and just try and make your shots count. As a Novice, I felt rushed to get all the shots allowed at each station off. I quickly learned that you score better if you maybe only get 4 shots off, but 3 out of 4 connect, instead of shooting 6 shots and only connecting once or twice.
It's great to hear that it's such a welcoming community. Glad to hear the shoot went well for you. Thanks for your feedback!

Just like a gunfight, you can't miss fast enough to win!

My dabbling into this started with a couple of trips to the "long" range, gathering dope for my rifle every 100 yards out to 1000. I checked it against a chrono and ballistic calculator and then I signed up for a match. Had a great time and am working on dragging people into it with me for the local matches.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just find one and go hang out or go shoot. Best to find a local one day match, much more low key and fun.

Are custom dial systems looked down on at these events? Like could I use a cds?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are custom dial systems looked down on at these events? Like could I use a cds?

Yeah, they are usually on newbies rifles. But, no one will look down on you. They will include you and do what they can to help you be successful, though you will likely hear about why they are not optimal.

Thanks. I got a 6mm rpr that I'm going to add some upgrades to and start with that but wasn't sure on scope. Love my vx5hd with cds for long range hunting as its been spot on. Maybe not the way to go for this type of shooting but that is why I asked. What is the most common type of scope? Are they all nightforce and vortex razors? I was looking at Arkens at 1/3 the price

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks. I got a 6mm rpr that I'm going to add some upgrades to and start with that but wasn't sure on scope. Love my vx5hd with cds for long range hunting as its been spot on. Maybe not the way to go for this type of shooting but that is why I asked. What is the most common type of scope? Are they all nightforce and vortex razors? I was looking at Arkens at 1/3 the price

Lots of Arken, PST II, Ares, and others at local matches. Just go, have fun. Then make decisions.