Getting into PRS Shooting

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Check to see if your local PRS or NRL group has an intro day. For the club I MD for, we have an intro day for 3 gun and the PRS guys picked up on it and started running one as well. They also did an introduction to reloading for PRS, which I wish I was home to attend. That will give you an opportunity to check out some different gear, and see what you like. Or just jump into the deep end like I did, and spend a ton of money on stuff having never touched a single part of it. The joy of starting something new while downrange.

HawkinsPrecision

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Appreciate all your feedback on this discussion!
Since you're in Pagosa there's some really good matches near Bloomfield and Taos, NM. Matches are Shoot Em' Up Taos and Smith Ranch Shootout.

We are part of the organizing committee in Colorado Springs for Pikes Peak Precision. www.pikespeakprecision.com

If you ever have any questions, let us know. Best advice is to sign up for a one day match. Bring your favorite gun, a shooting bag and a bi-pod and give it a whirl!

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Since you're in Pagosa there's some really good matches near Bloomfield and Taos, NM. Matches are Shoot Em' Up Taos and Smith Ranch Shootout.

We are part of the organizing committee in Colorado Springs for Pikes Peak Precision. www.pikespeakprecision.com

If you ever have any questions, let us know. Best advice is to sign up for a one day match. Bring your favorite gun, a shooting bad and a bi-pod and give it a whirl!
I am headed out to Dusty's NRL Hunter match in Bloomfield this weekend! His are very good. Low key, fun people.

FLS

WKR
Take what you have and go. There is no way to really prepare for the adrenaline rush you’ll get when the buzzer goes off.
You’ll have a much better experience if you have a solid zero and good data for your rifle.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

If you ever have any questions, let us know. Best advice is to sign up for a one day match. Bring your favorite gun, a shooting bad and a bi-pod and give it a whirl!
Sounds great! Thank you for info.

bluumoon

WKR
JW good to know there is solid optics company in the neighborhood! I'm right down the road in Durango. And... Now I know about the Bloomfield course, that might end up costing me.

AP577

FNG
I would start here:

I'm in the process of getting into the game as well. I've shot a lot of firearms competitions - 3-gun, IDPA, USPSA, steel challenge, unnamed/uncategorized shoots, but never PRS/NRL. The common theme in competition shooting is to just start. Run what you brung. You can make changes along the way. Start out with very low goals. I'm talking safety and don't get DQ'd. Your only goal is to just absorb and learn for the most part at the beginning. It's an extremely welcoming environment and the only critical aspect is the criticism you place upon yourself. Just focus on following the rules and not forgetting your plan as soon as the buzzer goes off.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Can't tell you how many times I've been smoked by old dudes walking around making slow, deliberate, mistake-free movements.
Phillip Velayo is awesome!

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
JW good to know there is solid optics company in the neighborhood! I'm right down the road in Durango. And... Now I know about the Bloomfield course, that might end up costing me.
Appreciate that! I was just in Durango last week hunting for ammo - same story everywhere.

Valsport

WKR
Understand this is a year old thread but the Velayo Tikka budget build vids got me here after doing some gear swapping for a rifle. Is there anyone in the Dallas area or know a good long range rifle facility in the area?

Understand this is a year old thread but the Velayo Tikka budget build vids got me here after doing some gear swapping for a rifle. Is there anyone in the Dallas area or know a good long range rifle facility in the area?
ETTS was the place to go when I lived in the metroplex.

TX_Diver

WKR
Tiger Valley is outside Waco. Cool spot with a 1000 yard range

Valsport

WKR
I'm a member at ETTS. Pretty much just use their 1250 yd range and not the tactical pits
It's about an hour from me...might try it out in the next couple of weeks, once the thaw is done! May start out at the Garland range to get on paper. I've never shot outside about 200 yards but am interested in the long range hobby. Does ETTS have spotting scopes to rent?

Seeknelk

WKR
Anyone use a 22 Creed for prs? Is it just silly? Shooting the 88 eld at 3150 right now. Also it's a medium or light Palma criterion on a savage, in a manners thumbhole with aics mags.
And it actually still feeds and extracts nicely so it should work for a fun match I figure? Need a couple more 10 round mags tho.

Lawnboi

WKR
Anyone use a 22 Creed for prs? Is it just silly? Shooting the 88 eld at 3150 right now. Also it's a medium or light Palma criterion on a savage, in a manners thumbhole with aics mags.
And it actually still feeds and extracts nicely so it should work for a fun match I figure? Need a couple more 10 round mags tho.
As long as you are not over the speed limit go shoot it. Guys are shooting matches with 223 rem, and 22br. You will be fine with the creed.

Be ready to roast that barrel though!

Seeknelk

WKR
As long as you are not over the speed limit go shoot it. Guys are shooting matches with 223 rem, and 22br. You will be fine with the creed.

Be ready to roast that barrel though!
Right! Don't some of the stages have you shooting 10+ shots quite rapidly? Sounds fun. 3d for rifles.