Getting into waterfowl

lak2004

WKR
I've hunted big game and upland for years, but have never dabbled in waterfowl but would like to give it a shot. What are the bare minimum requirements ?

I have some ideas on spots, just don't know what gear I need.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

SoDaky

WKR
Where would you be hunting?
Lakes,sloughs,rivers,fields?Some different basics depending on that.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
Lakes and maybe some small rivers.
It's about all we have here for decent duck habitat.

I've hunted big game and upland for years, but have never dabbled in waterfowl but would like to give it a shot. What are the bare minimum requirements ?

I have some ideas on spots, just don't know what gear I need.

Thanks in advance

Bare bones would be shotgun and some way of retrieving ducks whether that's waders, a boat, dog, or a rod and reel with treble hook I've seen all used successfully. It's nice to have a few decoys on a jerk string assuming you can't call but they're not required if you're set up where the ducks wanna be you can kill ducks. My suggestion would be go out with a friend who has some stuff and see if you like it or maybe book a trip for a couple days to try it out before you dump a bunch of money in it. Also check your gun if it's older may not be good to shoot steel.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
Bare bones would be shotgun and some way of retrieving ducks whether that's waders, a boat, dog, or a rod and reel with treble hook I've seen all used successfully. It's nice to have a few decoys on a jerk string assuming you can't call but they're not required if you're set up where the ducks wanna be you can kill ducks. My suggestion would be go out with a friend who has some stuff and see if you like it or maybe book a trip for a couple days to try it out before you dump a bunch of money in it. Also check your gun if it's older may not be good to shoot steel.
Thanks, I think I'll go scout out the spots I'm considering and see if a buddy will bring out his decoys to show me how it's done once I've got a spot picked out. Hate asking people for spots and enjoy the scouting anyway

Figure out what ducks are most common in your area and get a few decoys and a call. For me the decoying bird that you coax in with some calling is one of the best experiences in hunting!

Here’s my list of essentials for hunting marshes where I can wade.

Waders
Headlight
Something to sit on where you plan to hide (Walmart stool, milk crate, etc)
12-18 decoys max
6 in 1 whistle
Teal quack call
Backpack for lunch and stuff
Decoy bag or way to transport them

That’s about all you really need unless deep water is involved! Scout as much as you hunt early on. Minimal to no calling is usually best. Don’t buy a mojo.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
Figure out what ducks are most common in your area and get a few decoys and a call. For me the decoying bird that you coax in with some calling is one of the best experiences in hunting!

Here’s my list of essentials for hunting marshes where I can wade.

Waders
Headlight
Something to sit on where you plan to hide (Walmart stool, milk crate, etc)
12-18 decoys max
6 in 1 whistle
Teal quack call
Backpack for lunch and stuff
Decoy bag or way to transport them

That’s about all you really need unless deep water is involved! Scout as much as you hunt early on. Minimal to no calling is usually best. Don’t buy a mojo.
Thanks for the insight! I may try outfitting my raft next season to get on some bigger water near me.

T28w

WKR
Kinda surprised on the no mojo comments. Waterfowling is just about all I’ve done for the past 12 years and I don’t know hardly any serious hunters that don’t have them. Not saying they are run on every hunt but there is no denying their effectiveness.

Kinda surprised on the no mojo comments. Waterfowling is just about all I’ve done for the past 12 years and I don’t know hardly any serious hunters that don’t have them. Not saying they are run on every hunt but there is no denying their effectiveness.

I deny their effectiveness!

At least where I hunt in very pressured water, ducks flare off of them really bad. Occasionally you do get a young duck that will actually finish to one...but it seems more like a fluke. More often it seems to encourage the 40+ yard shots because that’s as close as most ducks will get. All of the serious duck hunters I know despise them but this could be regional. Nothing worse IMO than sharing a pond with someone who is running a mojo and flaring every good flock that comes to take a look.

Dont forget a duck stamp with your John Hancock on it. I would also pattern some different brands of steel with your chokes/gun...see what works best.

One word of caution waterfowling is addictive. Starts out a pond hunt here, field hunt there...Next thing you know you will be leaving your house at midnight so you can drive six hours to fill a Tundra Swan Tag.

Good Luck!

SoDaky

WKR
I hunt waterfowl a lot.Many times a week.Mojos have their place.They work like magnets if handled right.I don't use them for geese,rarely on water and certainly not on cloudy days but often in field hunting.No,almost always in field hunting.One man's call or flag is another man's Mojo.To each their own.

T28w

WKR
I deny their effectiveness!

At least where I hunt in very pressured water, ducks flare off of them really bad. Occasionally you do get a young duck that will actually finish to one...but it seems more like a fluke. More often it seems to encourage the 40+ yard shots because that’s as close as most ducks will get. All of the serious duck hunters I know despise them but this could be regional. Nothing worse IMO than sharing a pond with someone who is running a mojo and flaring every good flock that comes to take a look.

Where are you hunting?

I’m more like SoDaky. I’ve seen them trying to land on them too many times to say they don’t work most off the time. Forget it if u want to have a shot a geese. if it’s overcast and calm, I’d rather have a jerk cord. But if it’s sunny and some wind, we may have 4-6 running.
I’m hunting Louisiana now most of the time but have been in Arkansas some. Made one trip to North Dakota.

But you do have to change things up if ducks aren’t doing right, starting with your hide first. Once u know that is good, then I’d start tweaking the spread, pulling the mojos,no calling etc.

Where are you hunting?

I’m more like SoDaky. I’ve seen them trying to land on them too many times to say they don’t work most off the time. Forget it if u want to have a shot a geese. if it’s overcast and calm, I’d rather have a jerk cord. But if it’s sunny and some wind, we may have 4-6 running.
I’m hunting Louisiana now most of the time but have been in Arkansas some. Made one trip to North Dakota.

But you do have to change things up if ducks aren’t doing right, starting with your hide first. Once u know that is good, then I’d start tweaking the spread, pulling the mojos,no calling etc.

Komiefornia. They get shot at quite a bit by the time they make it down to us. I could see them working up north like that esp on fresh ducks, still not my style tho.

T28w

WKR
I said your hide is the first thing to make sure is right but in reality it’s all about being where the ducks want to be. If u can get on the x, you don’t have to do any convincing them to come in. U just can’t push them away lol.

If u can’t get on the x then a larger spread, good calling, and some motion can make a huge difference

T28w

WKR
also i asure you by the time they get to louisiana, they have been shot at, called at, and seen 1 or 2 mojos. lol
and when we get a push of new birds, the mojos are very effective. not so much if birds are stale and be in the area a while.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add...
You don' have to spend $40 on a box of shells. A blue box of Federal 3" for $13 will kill anything you need killing when shooting decoying birds. BB, 2,3,4 are usually your most popular sizes.
If you scout well enough, you don't need to do much other than have a couple of decoys and be able to hide. If you're where they want to be, party horns(calls) aren't needed. If you decide you will be hunting traffic(migrating/traveling birds), you're going to need decoys and learn to call.
Boots/waders....buy the next size up. Your feet will thank you.
Your hunting buddy will teach you this, but learn the wind and pay attention to how ducks set up with the wind...and learn how to set your decoys for said wind.
Robos? Meh….I miss the days of no spinning wings and ducks finishing how they should, but sometimes, especially if you have competition, they can be an evil necessity. Definitely don't use one if you are hunting a pond that they are already coming to.
Calls...you don't have to buy a $150 RNT/Echo to kill ducks. A $20 Haydel DR 85 has probably killed more ducks than lots of others combined. There is some media out there to help you learn (Buck Gardner, Zink, and others.)

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
Thanks everyone for the info so far. Hoping to get out next weekend. Any choke recommendations? I'm shooting a Winchester 1300 3" pump