Getting meals ready for hunting season

Titan_Bow

WKR
How many out there make their own meals for hunting season? I’ve been dehydrating my own dinners, making my own breakfasts, making my own jerky, granola bars, etc. for a handful of years now. For me, it’s been a game changer on several levels. For one, I can keep my diet in check by not eating a bunch of sugar, preservatives, and high sodium stuff that end up making me feel bad or drive up my blood pressure. Second, I like being able to control the ingredients, and know I am getting really nutritious food into me when I need it. Third, I feel like I can save some space by making my own and vacuum sealing a lot of it.

4e60041da520992ba23d3c220a6cdd36.jpg

2922fe15a5f33644709e2532aef664e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stared last year. Everything turned out really well. I need to find bags that I can vacuum seal without noodles puncturing the bags

What type of dehydrater are you using for the meals?

I make my own jerky, and breakfast stuff and am interest in Trying the dinner food.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I stared last year. Everything turned out really well. I need to find bags that I can vacuum seal without noodles puncturing the bags
I put anything like that in a ziplock bag first but I don't seal the top of the bag. For jerkey, I find pushing down of the vac. bag with the palm of my hadn't while vacuums is taking place works great. It keeps edges from puncturing the vac. bag.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
I started using these Mylar bags from Amazon last year. I beginning to think vacuum sealing them is t even necessary. I didn’t vac my breakfasts this time around, just pressed as much air out as I could before sealing them on the seal function of my vacuum sealer. You can get a vacuum on the Mylar bags by cutting a couple small strips of the gridded vac bag material and putting those down into the Mylar. Your vac sealer can then suck all the air out. Again though, I’m not real sure it’s actually necessary. One thing I really like about these Mylar bags is the pleated bottom that makes them super easy to heat up and then to eat out of.

I put anything like that in a ziplock bag first but I don't seal the top of the bag. For jerkey, I find pushing down of the vac. bag with the palm of my hadn't while vacuums is taking place works great. It keeps edges from puncturing the vac. bag.
Great idea! Thank you

I started using these Mylar bags from Amazon last year. I beginning to think vacuum sealing them is t even necessary. I didn’t vac my breakfasts this time around, just pressed as much air out as I could before sealing them on the seal function of my vacuum sealer. You can get a vacuum on the Mylar bags by cutting a couple small strips of the gridded vac bag material and putting those down into the Mylar. Your vac sealer can then suck all the air out. Again though, I’m not real sure it’s actually necessary. One thing I really like about these Mylar bags is the pleated bottom that makes them super easy to heat up and then to eat out of.

I used those bags as well. I liked vacuum sealing them to save some space