Getting more speed from RX3

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
I have an RX3 ultra maxed out at 60 lbs (bow scale only shows it at 56, I wish I would have got the 70 lb , but its too late) I just got a Chrono and arrow scale and my arrows are 560 grain (125 grain head with 100 grain insert) I am only getting 220 FPS, and would like to get that up a little higher. My only real option I can see is to go with lighter arrows. I tried an older arrow that was 405 grains and got it up to 255. I am shooting a gold tip hunter XT 300 spine ( I am probably too stiff, but I wasnt sure how much to account for the extra weight up front and am just getting into the arrow building side more after I already had those purchased and sighted in)
So my thought would be to drop to a micro diameter arrow (like the victory Vap) that I could put a little extra weight up front still, but gain a little speed. I have read that lighted nocks are not as strong with the micro arrows and that concerns me a little bit as I will be using lighted nocks. My old 2015 Hoyt Charger was putting out the same 560 grain arrow at 35 FPS faster, as well as with the lighter 400 grain arrow.
I have an extra dozen of the gold tip 300s that are uncut, so maybe I just need to try and sell those and cut my losses and go to a smaller arrow? I feel like I don't really have any other options apart from getting a different bow or shooting my old backup bow.
This setup is for Elk hunting, and it killed a bull last year, but I would like a slightly flatter shooting arrow for less pin gap/more forgiveness.
Thoughts?

Marble

WKR
I have an RX3 ultra maxed out at 60 lbs (bow scale only shows it at 56, I wish I would have got the 70 lb , but its too late) I just got a Chrono and arrow scale and my arrows are 560 grain (125 grain head with 100 grain insert) I am only getting 220 FPS, and would like to get that up a little higher. My only real option I can see is to go with lighter arrows. I tried an older arrow that was 405 grains and got it up to 255. I am shooting a gold tip hunter XT 300 spine ( I am probably too stiff, but I wasnt sure how much to account for the extra weight up front and am just getting into the arrow building side more after I already had those purchased and sighted in)
So my thought would be to drop to a micro diameter arrow (like the victory Vap) that I could put a little extra weight up front still, but gain a little speed. I have read that lighted nocks are not as strong with the micro arrows and that concerns me a little bit as I will be using lighted nocks. My old 2015 Hoyt Charger was putting out the same 560 grain arrow at 35 FPS faster, as well as with the lighter 400 grain arrow.
I have an extra dozen of the gold tip 300s that are uncut, so maybe I just need to try and sell those and cut my losses and go to a smaller arrow? I feel like I don't really have any other options apart from getting a different bow or shooting my old backup bow.
This setup is for Elk hunting, and it killed a bull last year, but I would like a slightly flatter shooting arrow for less pin gap/more forgiveness.
Thoughts?
I would not sacrifice arrow weight to 400 for speed. Maybe aim for something closer to the middle. Maybe an easton axis.

Grab the axis, build it to 450-500. If you want some more draw weight, have someone put some twists in the cables and you'll gain some draw weight. I feel that's a possible solution.

But really, you may consider just a different bow if you want more speed. Chasing something very difficult to acheive may create tuning issues, affect the draw cycle and reduce your confidence.

Just think about what would be easiest for you to acheive. your goals, what they are and what result will give you the most confidence.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
First of all your bow isn't meaning spec. You need to take it to a reputable shop and get your ATA, brace, and draw weight corrected. You are not going to get a lighter GPI shaft by going micro. Most of them are heavier. You need to simply shoot the proper spine which will drop your overall weight down anyway. You didn't mention your draw length, however a shop will get you worked out on proper spine. I don't know how realistic it is for you but I would try to hit a very minimum speed of 250 preferably 260 if you are hunting out West. I would use a very good COC head to try to compensate for weight lost. Another option would be to simply purchase 70, or 80 lb limbs. You can find them on eBay sometimes. This may totally negate the cost of brand new shafts and very expensive broadheads.

Were you shooting a higher draw weight and/or longer draw length with the Charger? If not, I'm very surprised that it was giving you 35 fps more than your RX-3.

Regardless, the only things you can do to get more speed out of your RX-3 are to twist up the cables to increase draw weight or lighten your arrows. A few cable twists should get you to 60 lbs and would probably add 8-12 fps.

There's no need to get hung up on achieving any particular speed. I'd recommend shooting the heaviest arrow that still gives you a trajectory/pin gaps that you deem acceptable out to your maximum shot distance. Then put a strong sharp fixed-blade head on the front, get it tuned, practice a lot, and go kill stuff.

OP
fulltiltaudio

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
First of all your bow isn't meaning spec. You need to take it to a reputable shop and get your ATA, brace, and draw weight corrected. You are not going to get a lighter GPI shaft by going micro. Most of them are heavier. You need to simply shoot the proper spine which will drop your overall weight down anyway. You didn't mention your draw length, however a shop will get you worked out on proper spine. I don't know how realistic it is for you but I would try to hit a very minimum speed of 250 preferably 260 if you are hunting out West. I would use a very good COC head to try to compensate for weight lost. Another option would be to simply purchase 70, or 80 lb limbs. You can find them on eBay sometimes. This may totally negate the cost of brand new shafts and very expensive broadheads.
Most micro diameter arrows I have seen are closer to 2-3 GPI less than the GT hunter Pro. I never really thought about some extra twists in the cable, I just had new strings put on a few months ago at a pretty reputable bow shop in Boise, so I would hope that stuff got adjusted correctly. My draw length is only 28, so I know that doesn't help the situation. I was hoping to be closer to 260/270, but I'm not set on a specific number, just want to find something that still shoots decent and as flat as possible under the situation. I was planning to put Iron Will 125 solid heads on as long as it works out.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OP
fulltiltaudio

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
Were you shooting a higher draw weight and/or longer draw length with the Charger? If not, I'm very surprised that it was giving you 35 fps more than your RX-3.

Regardless, the only things you can do to get more speed out of your RX-3 are to twist up the cables to increase draw weight or lighten your arrows. A few cable twists should get you to 60 lbs and would probably add 8-12 fps.

There's no need to get hung up on achieving any particular speed. I'd recommend shooting the heaviest arrow that still gives you a trajectory/pin gaps that you deem acceptable out to your maximum shot distance. Then put a strong sharp fixed-blade head on the front, get it tuned, practice a lot, and go kill stuff.
Actually yes, my charger is shooting the exact same poundage and draw length, the only difference is the arrow choice. I was completely shocked when it was faster, the only reason I shot it was because I was curious where it was at too!
I won the RX3 in fall of 2019, and hate buying a new bow this close to season, but I may head that direction. I know I can shoot closer to 70 lbs now without much struggle, but I dont want to buy a new bow, so will need to find a used one I like at a reasonable price fairly soon

Actually yes, my charger is shooting the exact same poundage and draw length, the only difference is the arrow choice. I was completely shocked when it was faster, the only reason I shot it was because I was curious where it was at too!
That Charger must be a hoss. Your RX-3 speed is about what I'd expect at your draw weight and length: subtracting 10 fps off IBO speed (334 fps) per inch under 30", another 2.5 fps per lb under 70, and holding KE constant as arrow weight increases from 350 to 560 gr yields a predicted speed of 221 fps.

Reactions: Zac

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Most micro diameter arrows I have seen are closer to 2-3 GPI less than the GT hunter Pro. I never really thought about some extra twists in the cable, I just had new strings put on a few months ago at a pretty reputable bow shop in Boise, so I would hope that stuff got adjusted correctly. My draw length is only 28, so I know that doesn't help the situation. I was hoping to be closer to 260/270, but I'm not set on a specific number, just want to find something that still shoots decent and as flat as possible under the situation. I was planning to put Iron Will 125 solid heads on as long as it works out.

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
No offense to the reputable shop in Boise , I’m a local and all I will say is that term might be a bit off depending on the staffer doing work. No reason for your rx3 to loose poundage go back the shop and have them put it back in spec or move onto one of the other 2 shops in the valley. If it is the shop in Boise I was underwhelmed with there in-house strings. On friends and families bows. My 70 lb rx3 hits 73 without taking it out of spec.

Reactions: Zac