Getting my son in the woods

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great stuff there. Get ‘em started early. Mine helped gut (held the legs ) when they were that age and found it interesting and “stinky”.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I love it! Thats a great photo.
Get those kids out in the wood as much as possible. I've found that mushroom picking and foraging for edible plants really helps to get kids excited about being in the woods.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Super! We started daughter at 6 months in backpack duck hunting, my wife and I taking turns to keep her away from shot sound. Son came along and same for him. Both now out of college, super jobs in NYC, son flew back for deer saying I didn't work my tail off for 4 years in college for this job to miss out on hunting with you. Daughter less so today but give her an invite for anything with shotgun involved, and she flies home. Best advice, and for hunting w wife, get them what you wear, teach the experience is the goal not the outcome, be patient, and bingo, the next generation of conservation hunters takes care of itself. And no worry about lib-tards gun control either. 😀

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Super! We started daughter at 6 months in backpack duck hunting, my wife and I taking turns to keep her away from shot sound. Son came along and same for him. Both now out of college, super jobs in NYC, son flew back for deer saying I didn't work my tail off for 4 years in college for this job to miss out on hunting with you. Daughter less so today but give her an invite for anything with shotgun involved, and she flies home. Best advice, and for hunting w wife, get them what you wear, teach the experience is the goal not the outcome, be patient, and bingo, the next generation of conservation hunters takes care of itself. And no worry about lib-tards gun control either. 😀
All of my guns were lost in a boating accident 🤣

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Great pic and better tradition. Got my 6 year old twins out helping clean squirrels this fall. They got to be part of the entire field to table process and really got into it.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Great pic and better tradition. Got my 6 year old twins out helping clean squirrels this fall. They got to be part of the entire field to table process and really got into it.
We have a ceiling mount winch and a floor mount d ring setup for skinning our deer and my son stands on his chair and operates the winch for me. You have to get them started early.

My son goes everywhere I go, rain, snow, sleet, sub-freezing temps, doesn't care. He just turned 12 so still loves me lol...
King fishing in freezing cold temps
Resized_IMG_5596.jpeg
Holding a very stinky set of antlers
20191201_204459.jpg
Shooting 1000 yards in windy freezing cold temps
20191228_141507.jpg
20191228_145452.jpg
Hunting coyotes in freezing cold temps
20190205_154138.jpg

cprepula

FNG
This is great.
I have been bringing my 3 year old on drives in the mtns to get him excited. He gets food and to sit in the front seat (only on gravel, backroads) and its our special time to hang out. Im hoping it continues his interest in the outdoors and hunting.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord