Getting out of California

Hamilton might be cool. Lots of blue state refugees moving there.

13. Do you drink lattes? And how much soy do you use?
14. Pronounce "Chai" and attach the audio file to the exam.
15. Complete the following sentence: Subarus are for ______bians.
16. Yes or No: I have driven in snow _________
17. True or False: I know where the spare tire and jack are located for my vehicle ________
18. True or False: I know what a jack is ____________
19. True or False: Tent Camping along the interstate is a reservation only system in MT__________
20. Word association: "Gavin" _____________ "Pelosi" ___________ "Maui Wowie" ________________

OP
R

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
Here. Let me clear this up.

Born and raised in the Central Valley of California. Farmed my entire life. Newsom and pelosi are two of the worst human beings walking the face of this earth. I am wanting to relocate so my kids can have a respectful upbringing and not see constant homeless, graffiti, theft and crime or go to schools with scantily dressed students. All the other benefits of living out of state are just perks.
. There are problems everywhere but impossible to the scale of this state because the dems are literally catering to the above mentioned. Im not going out of state to create another Arizona type situation and flip states. So get all of your jokes out so we can get to the meat and potatoes.

I’ve spent weeks at a time in Buffalo Wyoming and Sidney Montana, both places I feel that I could blend right into the community with no issues at all

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Jokes aside, both Missoula and Bozeman are culturally pretty similar to California and will be experiencing similar issues more and more as time goes on. That's more driven by economics than people, IMO, but it is what it is. The same goes for most of western MT, although to a lesser extent.

Great Falls and Billings are slept on as outdoor towns. Dillon seems cool and is close to ID. I don't know much about the towns on the ID side, but they could be an option as well. Plenty of ag around Idaho Falls, but I've only ever driven through.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I am not from California or live out west but I heard a saying one time that stuck:

"Don't destroy what you came here to enjoy"

I think that applies to a lot of red states taking blue state's refugees.

Dunndm

WKR
Just curious OP where are you moving from? The wife and I moved from So cal (Dana point) 3-4 years ago and are moving back to the same area. We have all our family and friends there, and we just had our first kid.

Just beware. The summers are brutal, the winters are worse. The cheap cost of living does help, but the trade off is tough. Yes hunting is great, but think about those things as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewade07

WKR
Bozeman is where all your neighbors are moving. There should probably be a questionnaire that you need to fill out before we can properly place you.

An incomplete list of California exit exam questions are listed below in no particular order

1. Do you currently or have you owned a Tesla?
  2. When driving alone do you wear a mask?
  3. Have you ever removed the body part where your pee comes out?
  4. Do you have pronouns?
  5. Is your portfolio diversified in ESG funds?
  6. Do you put ketchup on steak?
  7. Do you identify as non-binary, a furry, or any animal from the feline family?
  8. Have you ever played "tummy sticks" or "ouch ouch you're on my hair"?
  9. Do you have a suppressor on your 6.5 Creedmoor?
  10. Do you do crossfit?
  11. Do you manscape more than once per month?
Fantastic Vince Vaughn reference

OP
R

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious OP where are you moving from? The wife and I moved from So cal (Dana point) 3-4 years ago and are moving back to the same area. We have all our family and friends there, and we just had our first kid.

Just beware. The summers are brutal, the winters are worse. The cheap cost of living does help, but the trade off is tough. Yes hunting is great, but think about those things as well.

Moving from the Madera/Merced area so not sure the summers can be worse. We are looking at 110 for the next 6 days. The winters are what they are, I can’t change that. I would have a hard time moving from the ocean as well! And family is huge. I don’t think it would be doable unless the majority of our families are willing to go to.

Dunndm

WKR
Moving from the Madera/Merced area so not sure the summers can be worse. We are looking at 110 for the next 6 days. The winters are what they are, I can’t change that. I would have a hard time moving from the ocean as well! And family is huge. I don’t think it would be doable unless the majority of our families are willing to go to.

Ahhh, yeah… my cousins lived up there my entire life. They recently sold and moved to Idaho… Tortolane? (Sorry about spelling) they like it. Don’t love it. They are used to everything being accessible at a store. He’s not a huge hunter or fisherman, but I am and want to go visit him soon haha. They were between that and Utah.
They do miss family and friends, and there daily life’s but other than that they seem content.

Good luck on your move! Please be mindful of the new place you call home. California has a strange power. People leave trying to escape the stupidity. Then like voodoo magic, people start trying to make their new home like California. Please, please, for the love of god, don’t fall into the spell. Enjoy the new and different way of life. Good luck!!

I'd gladly welcome more of folks like you to my neighborhood. One of our closest friends in AK is from San Fran (you'd never hear her admit that). As others stated, you're looking at moving the exact places everyone that you're trying to escape is moving to. It's likely that you're going to run into the same politics at least at the local level by the time your kids are ready for school. Think outside the box, congrats, and good luck! It's not lost on me that the largest number of registered republicans are in California, so plenty of good folks migrating to make these places better too!

Ahhh, yeah… my cousins lived up there my entire life. They recently sold and moved to Idaho… Tortolane? (Sorry about spelling) they like it. Don’t love it. They are used to everything being accessible at a store. He’s not a huge hunter or fisherman, but I am and want to go visit him soon haha. They were between that and Utah.
They do miss family and friends, and there daily life’s but other than that they seem content.

I'm no Idaho buff but do you mean Coeur D'Alene?

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
I think the challenge you will have is that many of the Patagonia wearin, chai tea folks have moved, or bought land in ID/MT/CO etc. They have cashed out their California home value and have driven up home/land prices in these areas. You should identify some communities and then get on zillow to see what you could afford there.

The other question is how transferable are your job skills? Can you wife work? Wages may be very different than what you are used to.

Best approach would be to do a road trip with the family to these areas to get a sense of the community, services, homes, etc. I would put more of a focus on wife/family than hunting. I have hired many sales people who moved their family and when the wife became unhappy, that ended their time and they moved back home.

End of the day completely understand the desire to exit Ca, it is becoming a real shiz hole. Remember, every place you move to will have pros/cons. Put a list of them together and determine what are deal breakers. Then put a plan together with a budget and start your search.

Good luck!

OP
R

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
I think the challenge you will have is that many of the Patagonia wearin, chai tea folks have moved, or bought land in ID/MT/CO etc. They have cashed out their California home value and have driven up home/land prices in these areas. You should identify some communities and then get on zillow to see what you could afford there.

The other question is how transferable are your job skills? Can you wife work? Wages may be very different than what you are used to.

Best approach would be to do a road trip with the family to these areas to get a sense of the community, services, homes, etc. I would put more of a focus on wife/family than hunting. I have hired many sales people who moved their family and when the wife became unhappy, that ended their time and they moved back home.

End of the day completely understand the desire to exit Ca, it is becoming a real shiz hole. Remember, every place you move to will have pros/cons. Put a list of them together and determine what are deal breakers. Then put a plan together with a budget and start your search.

Good luck!
I have a pretty diverse set of skills but can do quite a bit with my company remotely making as much as I do here. My wife can and does work (dental hygienist) so that it pretty universal. Because of the farming, we would be able to cash in on a nice profit from the land and hopefully be in a position to buy well. My wife’s requirements are a target and having her parents there too.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up, Idaho and Montana chew up and spit out Californians, Washington residents, and Oregonians. The cost of living in Idaho and Montana might be lower than California but the wages to cost of living ratios are typically higher than most places in California. Most people don't consider that then move and end up going broke or living paycheck to paycheck in about 5-10 years. The only ones who I've seen stick it out and make it long term are either retired or have lots of investments or businesses. Even the retired people I know around here usually get shocked by how quickly their money runs out up here in comparison to the times they spent elsewhere.

I understand moving for political reasons or quality of living but you can't outrun your problems. They will morph and change until the old ones eventually catch up with you.