Getting out of round (AKA better shape)

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Although round is a shape, im planning on slimming down. Next year ill be putting in for tags and hopefully by then ill be ready to hike the mountains for days in a row.

Right now im doing Couch 2 5K just to get my cardio up (sitting at about a 13 minute mile for 2 miles), this is 3x a week with strength training afterwords Upper body mondays, lower body wed, and core fridays. Once I get cardio up to a reasonable baseline I plan on throwing in some stairs, and hikes (luckily i have a 4.4 mile out and back with 2139 feet of elevation gain 15 minutes from my GF's house and plenty of others near mine) in between strength days.

For those who were couch potatos and jumped into a training regiment for hunting, what helped the most with your hunts? Im hoping the mountain will be awesome and i can add weight as i go. its a gravel trail so it will be somewhat similar to a mountain id hike looking for the elusive muley.

*zap*

WKR

ediggity

FNG
I’d hike as often as possible. At elevation if possible. I’ve heard it be said that if you want to get good at CrossFit, do CrossFit. If you want to do 300 continuous push-ups, then to push-ups every day. If you’re going to be hunting in hills and mountains, hike them. Add small increments of weight over time.
Congrats on getting in shape!

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you @*zap*

@ediggity that's my plan, want to get some cardio in so I can hike. Figure start in the gym since I ha e a year till hunting season. Spend a few months getting a baseline before going outdoors and kicking some trail butt. My hike won't be as high as some areas I hope to hunt but I figure do it till it's easy and then wehn I hunt I'll at least be in a place where I can chug along vs now if have to stop every couple miles flat or hundred yard of elevation lol.

ediggity

FNG
That’s awesome. Love to see people getting in shape and reconnecting with nature.
i will suggest one more thing if you don’t mind... even though it’s contrary to my previous post. If you want to add a piece of equipment to your home I’d highly suggest an “incline treadmill”... not to be confused with regular treadmills which usually only incline 12-15 degrees... an incline treadmill inclines up to 40-50 (I think). If you do some research you’ll find that you can burn more calories by walking on an incline treadmill, then running on a traditional treadmill (within slow speeds). Give it a look in you’re in the market for something like that.

Attachments

• E9603B77-A565-4857-90E9-160D3A3B0F2B.png
    E9603B77-A565-4857-90E9-160D3A3B0F2B.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 35
OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
That’s awesome. Love to see people getting in shape and reconnecting with nature.
i will suggest one more thing if you don’t mind... even though it’s contrary to my previous post. If you want to add a piece of equipment to your home I’d highly suggest an “incline treadmill”... not to be confused with regular treadmills which usually only incline 12-15 degrees... an incline treadmill inclines up to 40-50 (I think). If you do some research you’ll find that you can burn more calories by walking on an incline treadmill, then running on a traditional treadmill (within slow speeds). Give it a look in you’re in the market for something like that.

I seen those at my gym, will definitely look into it. They are incline treadmills and I noticed it was darn near vertical lol. Once my cardio hits where I want I'll introduce outdoors hikes and on 115degree days incline treadmills lol. Good to know that bit of info.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I think getting out of round in general will help more than anything. To me the 3 most important things to get out of round are:
60% Diet
25% Strength training
15% Cardio

Just think you don't need to do any ruck training if you drop 50lbs because your already use to carrying the weight. I'm helping my pops get out of round for spring bear and he's down 40lbs in the last 4 months. He likes doing cardio kick boxing so I told him to go wild. If you are strength training it will burn far more calories than just doing cardio. Diet to me is the end all be all and if all you did was change your diet you could lose a good chunk of weight between now and fall. I followed the wheat belly diet for about 6 months a year ago and couldn't believe how much weight I lost. Not sure how healthy/faddy the diet is but I felt better than I ever have while I was on the diet. I don't really need to lose much weight wise and I don't have the self control to follow it year round.

Good luck and good hunting

By far, riding the stationary bike for 45 minutes to an hour a day made the most difference. Mine is the recumbent type. Running is great for those who can do it. I have two rebuilt legs and haven't run since 2015. But I can bike all day.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
By far, riding the stationary bike for 45 minutes to an hour a day made the most difference. Mine is the recumbent type. Running is great for those who can do it. I have two rebuilt legs and haven't run since 2015. But I can bike all day.
Best shape I was ever in for hunting season was when I was spending the most time on a bike. I ran into the issue in the backcountry of my joints not wanting to put up with the impact. With the injuries you reference the bike makes the most sense but for people that can I would couple it with running/hiking as well.

DEJaca

FNG
Congrats on getting back into shape. The hardest part of getting started is to start!! I bought a treadmill and use it religously. We have no gym in our town so I run alot but there are good incline/hiking workouts as well as studio strength training workouts built into the treadmill workout library. It has really worked for me. I have lost 30# and feel great. I found a good pushup ladder workout as well so I have incorperated it in with running. Best of luck. You have the hardest part out of the way.