Getting Ready for Elk trip...a few newb questions (NOT Unit related!!)

gostovp

WKR
My son and I are planning for our first archery elk trip together. Our plan is to have camp at our truck to stay mobile, but also have the ability to setup a spike camp if we are on elk and don't want to hike back to the truck each day. We each have small two person tents to keep at the truck, and we picked up a SO Cimmaron to carry with us for us to share if we are out and decide to spike.
1. Food: For those that truck camp, do you take perishable type food and cook at camp on a camp stove, or you just eat the same meals as you would if you were backpacking/spiking in? We have a regular camp stove and regular camping cookware to bring with if needed, but we also have backpacking stoves/fuel and Peak/MH meals to pack with us just in case we are out for a couple days...
2. Do you have a truck camp sleep system and a separate backpacking sleep system you take with you when you hike in? I have a zero-degree synthetic bag I was thinking of just keeping at truck camp in my truck camp tent, and then keeping my lighter weight down bag in my pack in case we spike.
3. Do you bring backups of items that if they failed it might really really suck? (and these aren't things you would necessarily pack in with you, but at least have them at the truck if needed.....)
---- I'm already planning on packing a backup bow, and lots of arrows and broadheads...but do you bring an extra inflatable sleeping pad? (I'm thinking if my sleeping pad failed that would really really suck)..do you bring an extra backpacking stove? Extra trekking poles? Extra boots? Extra water filtration system? I'm sure I'm missing something but you get the picture...
4. Charging systems : do you prefer solar panel chargers or small battery banks?

Gerbdog

WKR
1. I bring same things to eat to truck camp as i would backpacking for the most part ... maybe an extra candy bar or something at the truck... thing is... you should be on the mountain before the sun and stay on the mountain til after the sun goes down... which is to say... by the time you get back to the truck your exhausted and just wanna crawl into bed... not gonna be much energy or time for anything fancier then boil water.

2. I carry two separate system for me when i truck hunt. I always have my backpacking setup with me, even when i truck camp, but my truck camp setup includes an actual (small) mattress, on a platform, and like a -32 bag thats bigger than my entire backpack setup, full size pillows, etc..... but man that things insanely comfortable to crawl into at the end of the day. If your not carrying the weight and you have the room... make your nights sleeping at the truck as comfortable as possible... a good nights sleep makes 4 am way nicer.

3. yup, bring extras if you got them and have room. For my daypack / backpacking pack i have a backup fire starter, backup (iodine pellets) water system, extra knives, etc. At the truck i have extra release, extra arrows, tool sets for the bows, extra boots, etc. etc. etc. To answer specifically the extra sleeping pad... sort of? I have my backpacking pad ... and i have my truck setup... so i guess its extra? Extra backpacking stove... no... just extra fuel at the truck, not in the pack.

4. Charging systems... at the truck? or in the day pack? Day pack has a set of batteries for the GPS... and for the phone if its the GPS of choice... i usually carry a garmin and my phone for getting around. I've had either or fail but never both... so far. At the truck i have batteries for a lantern... i have a battery charger for the phone and gear.... i do NOT carry solar panels.... im on the mountain when those would be left out charging and thats a bit too much money for me to leave sitting around unlocked. IF your talking about those mini solar panels .... i dunno.... theyve never impressed me, i wouldnt bother with the space / weight in my pack, and im probably not sitting around anywhere with sun long enough to use it anyway.... i'd bring a battery pack.

At the truck I do pre-made, frozen vac packed meals. Think meatloaf, lasagna, fajita meat...get back after dark get a pot of water boiling and pitch in a bag and let go for 20 minutes..gives me time to get my gear right for the next day and its a nice change from freeze dried. Plus it's frozen so it keeps with minimal ice.

Yes 2 separate setups. One for spiking out and one at truck.

Yes..for water and fire...for my air mattress I just keep a patch kit. One stove but extra fuel at the truck. I do battery packs not solar panels. I have the small solar panel not a great solution.

My son and I are planning for our first archery elk trip together. Our plan is to have camp at our truck to stay mobile, but also have the ability to setup a spike camp if we are on elk and don't want to hike back to the truck each day. We each have small two person tents to keep at the truck, and we picked up a SO Cimmaron to carry with us for us to share if we are out and decide to spike.
1. Food: For those that truck camp, do you take perishable type food and cook at camp on a camp stove, or you just eat the same meals as you would if you were backpacking/spiking in? We have a regular camp stove and regular camping cookware to bring with if needed, but we also have backpacking stoves/fuel and Peak/MH meals to pack with us just in case we are out for a couple days...
2. Do you have a truck camp sleep system and a separate backpacking sleep system you take with you when you hike in? I have a zero-degree synthetic bag I was thinking of just keeping at truck camp in my truck camp tent, and then keeping my lighter weight down bag in my pack in case we spike.
3. Do you bring backups of items that if they failed it might really really suck? (and these aren't things you would necessarily pack in with you, but at least have them at the truck if needed.....)
---- I'm already planning on packing a backup bow, and lots of arrows and broadheads...but do you bring an extra inflatable sleeping pad? (I'm thinking if my sleeping pad failed that would really really suck)..do you bring an extra backpacking stove? Extra trekking poles? Extra boots? Extra water filtration system? I'm sure I'm missing something but you get the picture...
4. Charging systems : do you prefer solar panel chargers or small battery banks?
1. If I'm at the truck I'm eating real food, unless I get there 4 hours after dark which does happen. We usually bring last year's kills with us for good luck and lots and lots of carbs.
2. Depends, kind of a preference thing and if I have extra gear that's more purpose specific I might bring it.
3. Two knives, two headlamps, two ways to start fires. I've not brought backup bows or rifles or pads or anything like that.
4. I use a bank, but also have a solar power to recharge the bank while I'm out.

Having said all that, sounds like you're ready to bring everything but the kitchen sink. Try not to over complicate the trip by over packing a bunch of redundant stuff. It also sounds like you're planning to carry a ton of extra weight on your back without knowing if you're gonna use it. I don't think I'd want to carry a sleeping bag, any kind of shelter, food, all that misc stuff unless I knew I'd be spiking out.

Marble

WKR
Camp at the truck is separate from camp on the mountain. Everything is different. I like to keep my pack loaded with camp, sleep stuff and food. Other things if needed. Just keeps stuff organized.

Kitchen is the typical camping set up with ice chests and dry boxes.

I bring multiples of everything that can fall, wear out or loose. I do not bring it all with me into the back country, but I have it available.

When staying at the truck, I make it a point to have a variety of clothes. It's nice to be able to put on fresh everything after a day in the woods.

Typically, all of the back packing gear is a slight compromise in size, weight, comfort or functionality. When practical, I have the truck available and use the back country stuff when needed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
There is also a thread from awhile ago talking about stuff that guys bring multiples of into the back country. Do some searching and there are some things you will b e able to take from that tip apply to your own trips.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I mostly hunt from my back for a week +, so my truck camp is mostly back ups, or if I'm deer hunting which is 90% truck camp based.

1. Frozen pre-prepared real food in vac seal bags in the cooler on ice, heat it up in boiling water. Done, no cooking, tried that for a few years, way too much time and noise cooking, cleaning, etc. Keep a coleman 3 burner in the truck with a big pot for water, a coffee pot, and a 5 gallon of water. Keep a few extra freeze dry and drink mixes, bars, etc in the truck so I can refuel quickly during a pack out. Early season, wouldn't bother with a backpacking stove unless I knew I was staying out, just go with no cook options, PB&J, Jerky, bars, fruit, etc. If planning to spike, I love my morning coffee, and warm dinner so always carry (pocket rocket or titanium jetboil).

2. I always carry my sleeping bag, bivy and pad IF I have a plan to spike out, otherwise, down pants, puffy jacket, and a bivy with a z-rest are enough to sleep out during archery season, layer up and find a spot out of the wind. Maybe stick in a light weight down quilt that weighs 1 lb. You can always build a fire if it gets too nasty, but I have slept out in my hunting clothes as late as 3rd season before (pre-GPS, lost my truck in the dark on a sage flat) and other than having an uncomfortable night, am no worse for wear. Have a cozy sleeping bag, real pillow, and big fat foam pad in the truck, its really nice if you are packing an animal out to be able to sleep for an hour or two on something comfy before heading back up the hill. Can always use this stuff in a pinch as a spare, but I do keep an extra thermarest in the truck.

3. Have tools to repair bow, stove, BACKPACK, etc. at the truck. Personally don't keep an extra rifle or bow, but I hunt within an hour of a town I have friends in, would rather leave it there then in the truck, if I bring it. Do have a change of dry hunting clothes (full set of everything), knives, arrows, broadheads, boots, socks, water bottles, flashlight, etc. I have a back up bin that just gets tossed in the back of the truck, often don't ever open it. Nice to have if you get there and the weather is drastically hotter or colder than expected, you can adjust your kit. Rarely carry a water filter, so just an extra bottle of aquapur or iodine, and some extra fuel cannisters for the stove. Keep an extra frame pack in the truck, in case I can sucker a friend into coming up to help pack out. Batteries, and a headlamp. Lithium batteries weigh almost nothing, have a full set for each device that needs them (taped up in little 3 and 4 packs with an extra set for my headlamp in my kill kit).

4. Charging: Carry a small battery pack, used to use little solar panels, not worth it unless base camping, and ultimately battery packs are more reliable, and can charge your phone, etc while you sleep.

Last edited:
I might sound like a smartass but if you have time to cook and clean dishes you didn’t start early enough and didn’t stay where you should have late enough. Or didn’t hunt hard enough overall. My goal is to put food into stomach as fast as possible before I pass out and have zero work when I am done eating. Base camp or spike camp it’s MH or Peak. I’ve had rookie partners say screw that I’m bringing real food and then I watched them skip eating dinner completely because they could barely keep their eyes open let alone deal with it.

No man should leave home without an extra headlamp or 2. I also carry multiple Bic lighters.

At base camp we do prepared frozen meals in portion size ready to eat in plastic containers. We have a small microwave we run off a generator or an inverter hooked up to the truck. 5 minutes and meal is done. Pop the lid back on the disposable container and into a garbage bag and you are done. No prep, no clean up, no work.

For bivy - spike out - all light weight equipment is ready to go. This is totally separate from base camp equipment except for our back packs. We use the same back packs for day hunts and overnight hunts. Just add or subtract what is needed.

No matter what we are always are prepared for success with our kill kit (game bags, knives, paracord, etc) on us for every hunt no mater if it is 100 yards out or several miles. We can bone out, hang and then haul out our first load. Never get caught with a dead elk and no way to take care of it.

1.) We hunt for 2 weeks and each guy makes 2 or 3 different dinners (but also biscuits and gravy, omlettes) vacuum seals them, then freezes. These are our main meals at camp. Each guy is responsible for their own snacks. For spike camp, we have mountain house.

2.) Yes. Big heavy sleeping bag, cot, thick foam pad for camp. Spike camp I have a cheap folding foam pad as a backup and insulated inflatable as a primary and backpacking sleeping pad.

3.) Backup sleeping pad, headlamp, elk calls, batteries, bow sight, release, flashlight. Plenty of camp fuel (isobutane and propane), boots, water filtration

4.) Portable chargers that look like small USBs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk