Getting ready for my first eastern hunt!

*zap*

WKR
I've been thinking alot about going on my first eastern hunt. I'm not looking for honey holes, just a place to start that I would have a legit shot at a 175+" deer. Im not looking for your honey hole just a good place to start. I've hunted alot of alpine elk so I'm not new to hunting. I've looked at the DNR websites, but it's all so overwhelming. I won't have time to scout and cant afford an outfitter so any info helps. Feel free to PM me so we dont burn your spot.
Missouri has otc deer tags @ a fairly reasonable price and pretty good public land, pm me if I can be of more help. Good luck. Nothing quite like going somewhere new to you on your own and trying to get something done!

Poser

WKR
Great, another non resident hogging valuable treestand real estate. Just because you chased elk around the mountain West, doesn’t mean you can just jump right into deer densities of 20+ whitetail per square mile and expect to be successful.

netman

WKR
I would suggest Missouri, Kentucky and indiana. Get on OnX and just look at all the public land available to hunt with over the counter tags.
Not to mention is indiana is currently taking online apps for state park, refuge, military bases and private land hunts. There is some fantastic rut hunts to draw. Bonus A lot of these hunts don’t count towards your season totals.
Both indiana and Kentucky have a one buck season. One buck per year and it’s been one buck per year for many years.
If you want more PM me and I’ll be glad to point you in the right direction on any of those three states

Cowbell

WKR
I am not there at all yet. This post was a bit of a light hearted poke at the popularity of western hunting and partly about considering what the midwest/eastern states may have to offer
and see what the other side of the coin looks like. I think I would be more inclined to go after water fowl, but I think an out of state trip would be a worth while use of time.
It is really disappointing the amount of grown men on here that have not caught the joke.....here's your sign....

woods89

WKR
Missouri has otc deer tags @ a fairly reasonable price and pretty good public land, pm me if I can be of more help. Good luck. Nothing quite like going somewhere new to you on your own and trying to get something done!
Now you're making me nervous...........:censored:

Meateater was here hunting turkeys a few years ago so I suppose the logical next thing is to be overrun with NR's............

DanimalW

WKR
I am not there at all yet. This post was a bit of a light hearted poke at the popularity of western hunting and partly about considering what the midwest/eastern states may have to offer
and see what the other side of the coin looks like. I think I would be more inclined to go after water fowl, but I think an out of state trip would be a worth while use of time.
Probably a good idea to start with waterfowl before jumping right into whitetail. All joking aside, North Dakota is probably one of the best bets for waterfowl. Then you can hunt roosters midday, or hit up devils lake to fish too.

Btaylor

WKR
For legit shots at 175" WT, I'd look into either South Arkansas, Louisiana, or Mississippi. Be warned though, there's lot's of 160's running around acting like 175's.

What was I thinking? Behind the Wal Mart in Wynne, AR would be your best bet.
The amount of booners killed behind that Walmart is amazing.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
He'll ya man come to Michigan you can get 2 170s. If u see a ground blind knock on the door you'll get a beer every time. Walk by someone in a tree they prob drop you a joint! Ask for those beer cans and cash them in before you leave you'll have enough gas to get you home

Why settle for a 175? I pass at least 7-8 of them a year in Ohio.
Need to go for ones with so much head gear their bottom jaw is bald from plowing ground.