Getting ready for the fallow deer rut in Australia

Wilderlife

Hi all,

I figured I'd try and contribute more stories to this forum, as I always seem to forget it has a stories section.

Within a few weeks, the fallow deer in my hunting patches will start rutting and it's an exciting time of year. I'm sure you all know how it is. I've spent a fair bit of time scouting over summer and also getting ready over the last couple of weekends. I bought myself a compound bow recently so I'm keen to try and get out with that as much as possible.

The following is some pictures from a few recent hunts to give you an idea of what I've been up to.

I've shot plenty of deer with a rifle before, but my brother never had. I took him out to scout around a week or so ago to have a look about before the rut started. He took one of my rifles and was lucky to shoot this nice buck. He was rolling fat and has been eating superbly.

A few pictures of him on the ground and us taking some meat off him.

Antlers and meat are both important to us.

Insane amounts of fat on him.

OP
OP
W

Wilderlife

My brother went home after the successful morning and I ended up staying another night. I helped out the farmer with a lot of cattle work over the afternoon and went out for a look that evening. It was the first time I'd taken my bow for a walk. No game was seen but I found some good rubs.

There were a few storms about.

I woke up early the next morning and went out again. I found 2 more bucks hanging around together but blew the stalk. I was stuffing around with my phone trying to get some pictures of them and got careless. They saw me and took off. I need to remember that the hard work begins with a bow when you actually see the animal. It was a great experience, though.

I found some more rubs and took some photos of the scenery. This isn't the main area I'll be hunting during the rut but I'll spend a little bit of time here. I'm not too familiar with it so I thought I'd have a good look around.

OP
OP
W

Wilderlife

My rig after the hunt with my dog on the back, antlers in the tray, and towing a horse back to a property for the farmer. I made the 5 hour drive back home after this.

Recently, I gained access to a new spot a lot closer to home, so I took my bow for a walk up in those mountains to train for the rut again. I ended up seeing some feral goats but they didn't present a shot, despite me being a lot more patient and putting myself in a good position. That's how it goes, ey?

Interesting spot in a creek on the walk up the mountain. The goats seem to lick these rocks.

The creek is in a lot of shade so some interesting trees grow there.

I found a relatively flat and open spot on the hike up the mountain, and there were goats there.

I put the stalk on this white billy. He was facing away from me so I couldn't shoot. He ended up lazily getting up and following the rest of the mob he was with, but he never turned broadside for me.

The open spot where the goats were.

OP
OP
W

Wilderlife

Nice view from up top.

My Zamberlans are extremely comfortable in this terrain but I think the rugged rocky stuff might be a bit tough on their soles.

Looking down towards my car.

A picture from my car, looking back up towards the bench where I was sitting.

No goats down but it was good to have a look around the new spot and I may get up there again this weekend if I get back from working in the city early enough.

Thanks for looking, everyone. :)