Getting ready to order Bikini and Highcamp-advice?

Higbean

FNG
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new set up. I've been doing 4-5 day hunts with a MR Bighorn and I need something bigger. All my gear is as small and light as it can get just to fit with the idea of lashing camp to the outside if I get a deer down. I can't decide if I should get the 4800 or 7000. I like the idea of a smaller bag for the thick brush we get into but for 3oz you sure get a lot more bag. I'm planning to ditch the pack for day hunts and run the grip it, mega pull out and meat bag on the frame. I'll also be running two medium belt pouches.

With the option to put the meat between the frame and bag the 4800 would be bigger than I need. With the small deer around here I'm betting I could get everything in the bag using a 2nd gen meat bag. Am I crazy for not wanting to go with the 7000?

dotman

WKR
I don't think you are, I went with 4800 because I already have so many items to make it a modular setup. The 7000 is huge and with everything I have I just decided on going smaller. I'll be using my E&E as a lid so there is around 700ci of additional usable/organizable space. I have in KU material tons of pockets from small to long to the pods and grabit plus a gen1 ku meat hauler. So I should be able to figure out a setup that is very modular and doesn't weigh a ton more. If I was in AK I would go with the bigger bag. The 4800 isn't much smaller then the DT1 when you compare only the main bag and not the additional pockets.

3 Oz's gets you 2200 inches more of space. I'd rather pack around air and have the extra space when needed than have to add pockets and what not which will make it weigh more than the 7000 to begin with. It'll lack organization and custom setups but you can always add to the 7000 too if you want that. For the minimal weight and money penalty you get a bunch more room. I went with the 7000 so I don't have to worry about ever running out of space.

dotman

WKR
3 Oz's gets you 2200 inches more of space. I'd rather pack around air and have the extra space when needed than have to add pockets and what not which will make it weigh more than the 7000 to begin with. It'll lack organization and custom setups but you can always add to the 7000 too if you want that. For the minimal weight and money penalty you get a bunch more room. I went with the 7000 so I don't have to worry about ever running out of space.

The weigh diff between the two doesn't matter to me. If you have an extra 2200ci you will always carry extra items because you have the room. Having a ku5200 really opened my eyes to organizing. If you have less space you will not add that extra comfort item.

There isn't a right or wrong way but ask the guys that have backpacked for decades and most take a smaller bag because it forces them to limit what they take. Some would say 4800 is too big.

So go with what you think makes the most sense for you and your style.

Hell, I'm not carrying an inflatable air mattress even with my 7000!

I want to be able to carry 100 lbs of meat, along with all camp supplies and everything inside the bag. Thats why I went with the 7000. I don't want to use the meat shelf for hauling a bunch of meat plus camp. But you could surely get by with a 4800 for 4-5 day hunts no problem! If you want the smaller bag just roll with it.

dotman

WKR
Hell, I'm not carrying an inflatable air mattress even with my 7000!

I want to be able to carry 100 lbs of meat, along with all camp supplies and everything inside the bag. Thats why I went with the 7000. I don't want to use the meat shelf for hauling a bunch of meat plus camp. But you could surely get by with a 4800 for 4-5 day hunts no problem! If you want the smaller bag just roll with it.

Easily do 10 days with the 4800 and good organization and lid, I did with my ku5200 and only had a possibles pouch on the outside of it.

Easily do 10 days with the 4800 and good organization and lid, I did with my ku5200 and only had a possibles pouch on the outside of it.

you're still strapping 1000 CI of space to the outside of the pack. So you were really rolling with 6200 CI with your 10 days of gear. Some people like to add things to their pack, and if thats how he wants to do it the 4800 works great. But to truly get 10 days worth of gear inside you're going to need 6000+ CI.

Last edited:

Craig4791

WKR
I went with the 7000. I have never felt like my bag is too big and having a larger bag is not going to make me bring stuff I don't need.

Curtis C

WKR
Dang It DOTMAN, your making me think I got the wrong bag getting the 7000.

My DT2 was a little tight so I went with the bigger bag.

OP these packs are set to start shipping in less than 2 weeks so I would say wait till folks start getting them. The feedback may be better once people get their hands on them.

dotman

WKR
you're still strapping 1000 CI of space to the outside of the pack. So you were really rolling with 6200 CI with your 10 days of gear. Some people like to add things to their pack, and if thats how he wants to do it the 4800 works great. But to truly get 10 days worth of gear inside you're going to need 6000+ CI.

No different then the xtl lid, it is strapped on top. I should gave clarified when I said outside of pack, the location was on the lid. Also that was the possibles pouch, can't remember how many ci it is but it isn't 1000, it just held my daily small items so they were easy to get. I also had a small pocket on the belt.

Dang It DOTMAN, your making me think I got the wrong bag getting the 7000.

My DT2 was a little tight so I went with the bigger bag.

OP these packs are set to start shipping in less than 2 weeks so I would say wait till folks start getting them. The feedback may be better once people get their hands on them.

You can't go wrong with either. You can go about it like dotman, which he likes a smaller bag and uses pockets, or you can use a bigger bag without pockets. Different strokes for different folks.

DIY

WKR
Im in the same boat. I thought the T2 was a little small for 8 days.... I got the 7000 on order. we will see

dotman

WKR
You can't go wrong with either. You can go about it like dotman, which he likes a smaller bag and uses pockets, or you can use a bigger bag without pockets. Different strokes for different folks.

Exactly and that is what is awesome about Kifaru, endless options only limited by yourself.

dotman

WKR
If I remember right the main bag on the T2 is right at or under 3000ci so the 4800 will have more room for larger items but you may have to add some external pockets depending on your gear.

Lawnboi

WKR
I got the 4800. I know what pockets that I want to use with it. If I would have gotten the 7000 my pack would have ended up being around 9000 cubic inches. That's WAY too big!!!! For me atleast.

Im guessing I could go a week out of the 4800 bag alone...

Pockets ill use, are E&E as a lid if im fishing or hunting(E&E will also get attached to just the frame for day hunting), Long pocket if a spotter is coming or I want my raingear on the outside, 1MD and 1SM KU belt pockets(1 for a tarp, other for headlamp gloves,wind checker, calls).

So why did I get the smaller one, 9000 inches is just too much for me being only 5'7 and 145. Shoot that pack would probably be bigger than I am.
Also with the meat shelf option, helped make the decision since a smaller pack sure is nice when busting through woods.

I know a lot of guys on here like the 'bigger is better' concept, and I believe in it too. 7-9 thousand cu is just too much for me, I don't know how I would ever fill it up.

I also pack small, very small. I can fit my overnight gear and 2 days of food in a 2500 cu pack.

Only 5 days till my ship date.... to bad im leaving on a 3.5 day shed hunting trip right now. Tough fitting 3.5 days of gear in a spike camp but it has been done!

Last edited:
I just ordered my highcamp and chose the 7000 because if you dont use the space it will be there when needed. From what I gather these packs compress down to a day pack if needed so for 3 oz and 2200 cubes ... simple choice. I also thought to myself about the future. What if I decide to do a hunt in another state where I might be incountry longer. The larger pack would be a blessing then.

mtbshark

WKR
I ordered the 7000 because i did not want a bunch of pockets strapped to the outside, also there is a pic of it with day hunt gear and it is wicked small.
the pic can be found in the OG bikini/hc thread