Getting serious about spring black bears

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve taken a few black bears over the years, a couple down in the southwest when I lived there and 2 up here in AK. The ones from down south were like ~ 20 years ago at this point and the 2 that I’ve taken here in AK were sort of opportunistic in that I wasn’t focusing on black bears. I got one in unit 13 a few years ago and one in unit 17 both while I was focused on other species.

This year id like to get serious and make a trip out of it specifically for black bears, color phase ones if possible. I am looking at a few places in southeast and I’ll take a look at what the draws have when the new supplement comes out this year.

Not asking for any bodies spot but could anybody here give me some pointers on where to start with this? Possible lodges, islands to focus on things like that? I’d much appreciate it.

Seems your are a resident of AK, if so, it would be very hard to beat a fall BB hunt in SE AK on salmon streams. I’ve hunted bears a fair amount, and other game as well, you’d be really pressed to find another hunt so action packed and just fun. If my memory is correct, the first trip I did like that I saw 50+ bears in 10 days. Averaged 3-5 bears a night or more. It’s a great bowhunt.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Seems your are a resident of AK, if so, it would be very hard to beat a fall BB hunt in SE AK on salmon streams. I’ve hunted bears a fair amount, and other game as well, you’d be really pressed to find another hunt so action packed and just fun. If my memory is correct, the first trip I did like that I saw 50+ bears in 10 days. Averaged 3-5 bears a night or more. It’s a great bowhunt.

Yes I’m an AK resident, Dall dosent really work well for me, that’s when I get moose and sometimes go for sheep. I can only get so much time off work. I’m really looking for something to do in the spring other then grizzly bears.

Yes I’m an AK resident, Dall dosent really work well for me, that’s when I get moose and sometimes go for sheep. I can only get so much time off work. I’m really looking for something to do in the spring other then grizzly bears.
Spring down there gives you options as well. Two tags for residents no draw, Big bears, shit hides though if that matters.

tdot

WKR
In the Northwest tip of BC, we have a Black Bear with White fur, know as the Kermode or Spirit Bear. It is illegal for us to hunt them. But they are incredible animals. If it is not illegal for you to hunt them and you are interested in a colour phase Bear, they would be at the top of my list. I've hunted black bears next to the BC/Alaska border and seen them, so I can only assume they are on the US side too. I don't have any more details about the US side, but it might be worth looking in to.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In the Northwest tip of BC, we have a Black Bear with White fur, know as the Kermode or Spirit Bear. It is illegal for us to hunt them. But they are incredible animals. If it is not illegal for you to hunt them and you are interested in a colour phase Bear, they would be at the top of my list. I've hunted black bears next to the BC/Alaska border and seen them, so I can only assume they are on the US side too. I don't have any more details about the US side, but it might be worth looking in to.

That would be sweet, I’ve only hunted Southeast AK once before so I’m looking forward to going back.