Getting Started

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep I’ve got a similar one, 10ish bucks on amazon. Not a true “tenkara” but it’s a long telescoping lightweight rod perfect for little mountain creeks!
What's the weight?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I found some carbon fiber trekking poles that claim they're 7 ounces each for $60 for the pair so I'm going to start there. Figure that money saving will be better spent somewhere else.

Any suggestions for tripods? I'll be running vortex fury 10x42 and it sounds like for the area I would be going a tripod is pretty needed.

Two good options for a light tripod. KDC granite peak is the lightest and works well. If it’s gonna be a lot of glassing or windy, you might want a regular tripod. modified a promaster 522 by taking off the bottom two legs and putting a lighter ballhead for a total weight of 30ish oz and cost of $120ish.

OP
G

gallion_t

FNG
Two good options for a light tripod. KDC granite peak is the lightest and works well. If it’s gonna be a lot of glassing or windy, you might want a regular tripod. modified a promaster 522 by taking off the bottom two legs and putting a lighter ballhead for a total weight of 30ish oz and cost of $120ish.

Is there somewhere I can look at the KDC tripods? Every time I try going to their website I get errors. Been that way for a week or two for me now.

OP
G

gallion_t

FNG
Weird. Still not working for me. Keeps saying check your connection even though every other site loads fine.

ShakeDown

WKR
Set up that Tenkara style rod, really liking it! Going to keep tweaking with some epoxy and maybe a shrink wrapped handle grip, longer line, longer tippet and a swivel instead of a tippet ring... but this will definitely be in the pack going forward.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Save some oz in the kill kit with a havalon style knife. Skip the tyto, and get this - https://www.havels.com/8p-handle-plastic

Try gassing on just your trekking pole first, and see if you will need to carry the tripod. I've found the trekking pole monopod to work for 90% of my short term gassing. If you're looking all day, through higher mag bins, the tripod would be an asset.

Set up that Tenkara style rod, really liking it! Going to keep tweaking with some epoxy and maybe a shrink wrapped handle grip, longer line, longer tippet and a swivel instead of a tippet ring... but this will definitely be in the pack going forward.

View attachment 99855View attachment 99856

Heck ya! Those trout won’t know what hit em. Took me a little bit to get the hang of tenkara vs normal fly gear but for small creeks it’s just as deadly.

ShakeDown

WKR
Heck ya! Those trout won’t know what hit em. Took me a little bit to get the hang of tenkara vs normal fly gear but for small creeks it’s just as deadly.

The whole set up cost me about $7! Now I’m afraid I’ll be addicted and end up buying the real deal however :(

The whole set up cost me about $7! Now I’m afraid I’ll be addicted and end up buying the real deal however :(

Hard to argue with that! Costs less than mountain house, weighs less than mountain house, tastes better than mountain house, more fun than mountain house...