Getting started

As the title states I'm just looking to get started messing around with some photography.

Looking for some suggestions on a good camera/lenses to get started.

Uses:

1. Primary use will be for shooting landscapes/scenery and wildlife while hiking, hunting, and on vacations.

2. Capturing memories with the family and kids both milestones (birthdays, sports, etc), and outdoorsy stuff (hunting, fishing, hiking together)

3. Lastly I would like the option to do some video, but it is not my top priority at all.

Our current camera as a $200 special, doesn't have interchangable lenses, and is. . . Probably about as good as an iphone with a few different features.

I am currently looking into some introductory classes but would like some input on quality options.

I'm probably looking into the $500-$750 range to get going and would like something that isn't super heavy for when backpacking! Also I will probably surf ebay as well as new options like I do with most of my gear.

I greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks,

JoeDirt

WKR
I have some old M42 thread lenses that are manual. A mirror-less Sony can just about adapt to any lens without issues. I might go that route.

My uncle just bought a 80x zoom camera, holy crap night and day better pictures than a $2500 spotter and phone scope.

Good morning
The way to go is mirrorless. That's the way the industry is going. Here are few options to look at and of course we always do the right thing for Rokslide members
Canon M50

Olympus E-M10 Mark IV

Sony A6000

Feel free to call me to discuss. I am here every day thru 12/24

Joel
516-217-1000

Wapiti1

WKR
That Olympus with the kit lens, and their 75-300 is a solid and affordable combo for all of what you want to do. Maybe add a 14-150 for a do all travel lens.

Jeremy

OP
S
Good morning
The way to go is mirrorless. That's the way the industry is going. Here are few options to look at and of course we always do the right thing for Rokslide members
Canon M50

Olympus E-M10 Mark IV

Sony A6000

Feel free to call me to discuss. I am here every day thru 12/24

Joel
516-217-1000

I will give you a call tomorrow! Appreciate the help and advice!

Wapiti1

WKR
That is a great option but higher then the budget mentioned
True. It was more of a where to go suggestion. With wildlife in the mix, a second lens is pretty much guaranteed. In all cases (brands), that will blow the budget. IMO, Oly has the best consumer grade lenses from a build and sharpness standpoint making their system the most budget friendly for wildlife.

Jeremy

You are 100% correct, plus the most weatherproof components and fastest focusing cameras and lenses, oh and , by far, the best image stabilization. Plus every time you turn on the camera the camera cleans off the sensor. Olympus gears most of their marketing as the wilderness and birders camera system

Blueeyes

FNG
I have a Canon EOS 6D i don't make use of anymore its just always in a drawer in my workshop. Took it hunting with me one time and since then i just take random funny photos with it. let me know if you'll be needing it