Getting starting w/ ID ML

ProAlpine

FNG
I've been hunting my whole life with bows, shotguns and rifles, but am spanking new to Muzzleloading. I picked up a Knight UL 50 cal over the winter and am itching to get started. But, the amount of info on the web is pretty overwhelming. I'd love a few suggestions from seasoned Idaho muzzleloaders. Here's what I've been leaning towards, but please let me know if I'd be better off with something else:
Powder: 777 starting at 70gr ?
Bullet: No Excuses 50 cal sampler pack, 420, 460, 495.
Caps: ??? Suggestions?
Accessories: ??? What accessories do you all find essential, such as an accurate powder measure, etc?

I'd like to develop an accurate load for Elk that will work for Mule Deer as well.

Like I said, I'm a total NEWB and have a lot to learn. I searched the forum but man, reading through 20+ pages of others questions that are similar but not the same is sure time consuming. I appreciate any and all input.

Cheers

I've been hunting my whole life with bows, shotguns and rifles, but am spanking new to Muzzleloading. I picked up a Knight UL 50 cal over the winter and am itching to get started. But, the amount of info on the web is pretty overwhelming. I'd love a few suggestions from seasoned Idaho muzzleloaders. Here's what I've been leaning towards, but please let me know if I'd be better off with something else:
Powder: 777 starting at 70gr ?
Personally I would suggest 80 to 90 gr by vol of T7-2f

This a recovered LGP form an elk shot at 180 yards.

Bullshop_503x400LGP.jpg

Bullet: No Excuses 50 cal sampler pack, 420, 460, 495.

Again my suggestion would be a .503x400 LGP form Bull Shop and since you will be using a lead conical I would also suggest a MMP 50 cal Ballistic Sub-Bridge under the bullet to seal the gas and provide protection from the T7 melting the bottom of you lead bullet.

This is a pic of the Sub-Base. It is legal in Idaho because it is not attached to the bullet.

MMP_Sub_Base_1.jpg

Caps: ??? Suggestions?
Accessories: ??? What accessories do you all find essential, such as an accurate powder measure, etc?

I would highly suggest a RWS Dynimit Nobel 1075 + cap fitting a number 11 nipple for hunting and for recreational shooting or Target practice a CCI #11 MAG cap.

11-Caps-a.jpg

Also along with that I would suggest you get the 1/4x28 Spit Fire nipple. With this nipple and the cap pushed on tight with a #11 capper - you can effectively make the breech very close to water proof.

Spitfire_Nipple.jpg

Water_Proof_MSM_Spitfire.jpg

I'd like to develop an accurate load for Elk that will work for Mule Deer as well.

This bullet and load will easily do the job on both animals provided you get the shot placement, + it is a very accurate load.

Like I said, I'm a total NEWB and have a lot to learn. I searched the forum but man, reading through 20+ pages of others questions that are similar but not the same is sure time consuming. I appreciate any and all input.

Cheers

Hope some of this provides you with some of the information you are looking for.

mike

OP
P

ProAlpine

FNG
Mike, this is incredible and exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you very much. When I get some loads through it, I'll report back.
Cheers, Marc

OP
P

ProAlpine

FNG
Mike, the RWS Dynimit Nobel 1075 are hard to find. It seems like they have been discontinued. Do you recommend the CCI #11 with the spitfire nipple or something else?
I also have had trouble finding the .503x400 LGP form Bull Shop. I've sent them an email asking about availability. Any other recommendations?
Lastly, what do you recommend for measuring powder volume?
Many thanks, Marc

IdahoHntr

WKR
The advice above is great. Only thing I would say is I wouldn't be afraid of the no excuses bullets. Bullshop has been harder to work with in my experience and didn't offer any improved accuracy over the No Excuses bullets. I've shot both the 420 and 460 and liked them both. I would suggest their bore measuring sample pack first, so that you can order the bullets that fit your bore best, then go with bullet weight sample pack.

I use the No excusses bullet loaded over a veg fiber wad and pyrodex loaded around 90 gr by volume and have had good luck with that load. 777 works great, but this load already out shoots me, so I haven't had to play with it too much for a while. More accurate than I ever thought possible starting out with an open sight muzzleloader, that is for sure. Good luck. Idaho muzzleloading sure is fun!

Mike, the RWS Dynimit Nobel 1075 are hard to find. It seems like they have been discontinued. Do you recommend the CCI #11 with the spitfire nipple or something else?

Yes the CCI's will work very on the Spitfire. Finding primers or percussion caps they day can really be a difficult project. I keep hoping by late summer things will return to somewhat normal.

I also have had trouble finding the .503x400 LGP form Bull Shop. I've sent them an email asking about availability. Any other recommendations?

Getting to and a response from BullShop Dan is sometimes a long process. Dan does not do anything on the computer his wife, Tina, does all of that. I hope that they will get back to you. His bullets and lube are really great performers. I have used No Excuse conicals also, but much prefer the operating capabilities lead that Dan uses.

Email addy --> [email protected]

Lastly, what do you recommend for measuring powder volume?
Many thanks, Marc

For me I really do like the brass volume measures and specifically the Thompson Center brass measure - but.... I am not sure they make it any longer.

TC_Poder_Mearsure.jpg

This would be a good replacement.

OP
P

ProAlpine

FNG
Thanks for the help everyone.

Mike, I heard back from Bull Shop. they said to send a check along with my order. I'm unclear what is listed on their website vs. what you recommend - .503x400 LGP. I apologize, but are they the same? Should I try different weight bullets?

Cheers

Shoot! I do not see them listed either on their bullet list. I would have a hard time believing they do not have that bullet any longer. In your email did you ask specifically about the 400 LGP?

Think I will send Tina an email and ask also.

They do still offer the 400LGP

Just sent you a PM

Last edited:
OP
P

ProAlpine

FNG
Hey Mike, I just drew Unit 49 Muzzleloader Elk (either sex)!!!

This is getting real.

Thanks!

Last edited:
In your Bull Shop order make sure you designate that you want the .503 - 400 LGP (Lyman Grat Plains) and I am sure you will get the correct bullet.

Sending a check with the order is Bull Shops standard procedure.

Also a few posts ago I did not designate CC #11 MAG caps. you do not want regular CC! #11's. You can see the Magnum designation on the can

7C4m7hPH
7C4m7hPH
11-Caps-a.jpg

The Dynamit Nobles are from Germany getting them here from in these days is the problem.

I just got my reply from Idaho F&G - I did not get drawn - dang it!

Again I have a lot of confidence in Tina and Dan I am sure you will get the right thing. If not I am sure they will correct it.

mike

OP
P

ProAlpine

FNG
MMP_Sub_Base_1.jpg

Mike, is this a picture of Dan's .503x400 LGP with the bridge sub base? He has no photos on the website. Do you know if the bridge sub base will work with other conicals? Does the LGP have a concave base so the bridge sub base nests beneath it? What about conicals with a flat base, will they work?
Cheers

MMP_Sub_Base_1.jpg

Mike, is this a picture of Dan's .503x400 LGP with the bridge sub base? He has no photos on the website. Do you know if the bridge sub base will work with other conicals? Does the LGP have a concave base so the bridge sub base nests beneath it? What about conicals with a flat base, will they work?
Cheers

That is the sub base that I use with flat bottom lead bullets or even with any flat bottom bullets. The 400 LGP is a soft flat bottom lead bullet but appears to have a concave impression of the sub base after being shot.

1656826744575.png

OP
P

ProAlpine

FNG
Mike, I realize this thread is a little dated, but I just wanted to thank you for all your help! Last year I managed to shoot a 5x5 bull with this exact set up. This year I'll be going after a cow starting Nov 1. With ID considering changing their projectile regs, this may all change in the future, but it works quite well for me. I wouldn't mind shooting copper instead of lead, but on last years bull i recovered the LGP bullet and weighed it - 384 gr!!! That's pretty impressive i think.