Getting the meat home senario

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Why not get the meat wet? Is there any factual reason not to or just something someone told you that you took as gospel.

Sorry I forgot about this post. These guys pretty much summed it up. But I was taught that bacteria grows best in moist environments, even when it is cold. Keeping food in a refrigerator slows the bacteria growth down, but doesn't stop it. I've personally seen an entire deer go bad sitting in ice water for a couple days. Mine sat in a cooler for 2 days longer than my buddies, but I kept mine dry. I've kept a whole deer good, in an ice chest fo 8 days in Az with no problems doing what I described.

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
I came back with the bottom of the cooler full of frozen water or pop bottles. Freezer paper, then meat, freezer paper on top. More frozen bottles. Kept for 2.5 days fine.

Another group by us had a small chest freezer.
They got stuff cold, not frozen, unplugged it and duct taped the lid shut to drive home.
Said they did it with for years. They were at a campground with power.

Bags of ice are about 32.5 degrees and pretty worthless.

J Bar

FNG
I keep a small chest freezer in the back of the truck and suitcase generator, nice to get the meat frozen solid if something is down early in the trip and for the long drive home. It also keeps a guy from going to town to find a place to hang it.

tntrker

WKR
We took 2 15 cuft freezers. We were told it's take 1 15 cuft for a big elk and mule deer. we could have fit both elk and both deer in one 15 cuft freezer. Would have been packed but doable. We just plugged it in at the hotel overnight. Traveled from MT back to SC. I 'll do it again, worked pretty well. Maybe get some dry ice so finding a plug in at night isn't an issue. $100 each off craigslist, pretty common.1.5.jpg

how much power do those chest freezers actually draw? why not just get a power converter for the cigarette lighter in your truck and there's your plug.

rayporter

WKR
a chunk of dry ice in the freezer will save the need for a generator or a plug in.

folks in the south have routinely packed meat in ice water for eons. worry bout other things.

Marble

WKR
For bagged, boned meat, I do the following:

Prior to leaving on my trip I freeze gallon containers of ice in my freezer. I then arrange them in two Yetis. In one of the Yetis I use an entire flat of frozen water bottles. When I get back with meat I empty the coolers, lay bags of meat down and then pack with containers of ice. The ice containers will keep the yeti cold for around 7 days, maybe more.

If I have to put ice in after I put meat in the ice chest, I'll use a block.

For quarters, they go bone in, in bags, front of the bed of the truck or in top front of horse trailer. Sleeping bags, other insulation and gear over the top. Lasts the two day trip home. 20 years doing this and never lost meat.

Keep meat dry as you can.

No bugs.

No excessive heat.

Cool as fast as you can.

Ckiko3

FNG
Ziploc has really big bags. Put the boned out meat in these bags and then cover with ice. After a day or two of draining water and restocking on ice, the new ice will last for a long time. We do this and make the 24 hr drive back to Ohio no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattDavis

FNG
Hoping to be transporting an elk back to Mississippi this fall. I plan on two big igloos and finding old milk crates that I can cut down to fit in the cooler to keep the meat off the ice.