Getting the smell out

Scottyboy

WKR
I recently got a second hand Kifaru 14’r that has a dryer sheet and or scented detergent smell to it. I’ve had it outside in the wind, rain, garage etc for a few weeks with no luck. Then set it in the lake for a few hours on a windy day to keep water moving over/threw it and it still has the smell.

Not a huge deal, I just much prefer a neutral smelling pack that doesn’t smell like downy “clean earth” or whatever else they use as I try to minimize my scent as most of my hunts are closer range (Midwest stand hunting)

Any hints, tips or tricks to get my bag smelling like....nothing (cordura/fabric smell is fine, just not the scented sheet/soap smell)?

kata2012

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have access to an ozone machine? That will get the smell out.

Also, I have a buddy that swears by packing his hunting gear in a plastic tote with leaves and dirt from the area he hunts. Not sure you want to do that with your pack, but it seems to work well for him.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Scottyboy

Scottyboy

WKR
Do you have access to an ozone machine? That will get the smell out.

Also, I have a buddy that swears by packing his hunting gear in a plastic tote with leaves and dirt from the area he hunts. Not sure you want to do that with your pack, but it seems to work well for him.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I don’t have access to an ozone machine but I’m going to check them out, if they don’t cost a whole bunch I will pick one up

Mosby

WKR
I soak my pack in the tub in hot water and no scent soap every couple of years to get sweat and blood out. I let it soak over night and the water is usually pretty discolored by morning. I then rinse it thoroughly and air dry on a clothes line for a couple of days on my porch. I think it helps and would be the first thing I would do to a used pack.

pk_

WKR
Not sure what that is, but will look into it. Appreciate it!
Yea man. It is not a bad thing to keep around the house, it has many, many uses.

I use it for work occasionally to remove strong odors. But I can’t say I have ever used it on a fabric, so obviously you would want to do a small test spot but the label says it’s safe for all fabric.

Good luck.

I've always used scented Earth wafers inside a plastic tub with my pack and has always gotten rid of whatever smell and replaced it with the scent of earth.

Break some fresh pine twigs and seal up in a tub or contractor bag. Repeat a few times and it should take care of the smell. And it doesn't cost you anything.

hikenhunt

WKR
I had something similar with a second hand pack. It will eventually dissipate on its own, but if you want it gone faster, the ozone suggestion would probably work best. A cheaper option would be to fill your tub with warm water and dump a whole box of baking soda in it. Agitate every 10-20 minutes and let it soak for a few hours or overnight. After you dry it out, I'd try the suggestion of fresh pine twigs in a plastic tub for a better "fresh" scent. Good luck!

Check out Scent Lok portable ozone generator. I paid about $50 for mine, it is rechargeable, and is about as big as 2 packs of cigarettes. You can put it in a tote with your pack, or anything else and turn it on. It will remove all of the odors. I put it in my Wife's car after we transported some fried seafood. The smell was overwhelming, but after about 2 hours of running the Ozonator, the car almost smelled new again-no trace of seafood smell.
You have to be careful with the Ozone, it will destroy any rubber products after extended exposure.

Last edited:
I recently got a second hand Kifaru 14’r that has a dryer sheet and or scented detergent smell to it. I’ve had it outside in the wind, rain, garage etc for a few weeks with no luck. Then set it in the lake for a few hours on a windy day to keep water moving over/threw it and it still has the smell.

Not a huge deal, I just much prefer a neutral smelling pack that doesn’t smell like downy “clean earth” or whatever else they use as I try to minimize my scent as most of my hunts are closer range (Midwest stand hunting)

Any hints, tips or tricks to get my bag smelling like....nothing (cordura/fabric smell is fine, just not the scented sheet/soap smell)?

The Scent Lok Ozone generator is on sale at Camofire.com for $50 It works well, and is rechargeable through it's USB port. I have used mine many times, and highly recommend it for neutralizing odors.

Surfer and dirt bike rider here. If you've ever smelled a nasty wetsuit or damp riding gear that's been sitting in a hot truck overnight, you know how much that can stink. We just wash it with a couple cups of vinegar in the washer works every time.

OP
Scottyboy

Scottyboy

WKR
The Scent Lok Ozone generator is on sale at Camofire.com for $50 It works well, and is rechargeable through it's USB port. I have used mine many times, and highly recommend it for neutralizing odors.

Thanks, just ordered a Ozone unit. Appreciate the help!

ncavi8tor

WKR
Stuff it full of black and white newspapers and leave it for a couple of weeks. That will help a bunch! I have used that to get the cigarette smell out of used cars and you would be surprised how well it works!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
You can get a cheap (less than 30 bucks) ozone generator that plugs in a cigarette lighter outlet on amazon. Put the pack in your rig and let it run. It will also make your vehicles smell like new. Win, win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikenhunt

WKR
Stuff it full of black and white newspapers and leave it for a couple of weeks. That will help a bunch! I have used that to get the cigarette smell out of used cars and you would be surprised how well it works!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I used to do that trick with newspaper when I was growing up with my soccer cleats, especially when they got wet. The newspaper would wick the moisture overnight and I never had a problem with stink.