Getting tired of the same old thing. New venison Recipes

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone got a good summer sausage recipe they want to share? I’ve tried a couple but just haven’t found one that I want to make twice. They have been good, but could be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Latest is instant Pot venison. I take whole deer shanks and cook them down in the Instant Pot with some beef broth for 45 min (pressure cook), then add what ever vegetables I feel like and cook an additional 10-15 minutes. McCormick's "Slow Cooker" seasoning packets work well with venison. The connective tissues that everyone tries to eliminate from venison gets melted down into deliciousness from pressure cooking.

Okhotnik

WKR
Did the sous vide last night with a whole back strap from a doe!!!! Put the water at 142 in the small yeti, dropped the backstrap in for about 2 hours in a vacuum pack and it can out a perfect 139 degree rare. Tossed it on the stove top for about 30 seconds on each side and served it up:

View attachment 100988

sous vide in a cooler?

in teresting

Okhotnik

WKR
Anyone got a good summer sausage recipe they want to share? I’ve tried a couple but just haven’t found one that I want to make twice. They have been good, but could be better.

I add cheese, the high melt kind, and grinded jalapeños

Clarence

WKR
French Dip.

Braise shanks until fall off the bone tender. Layer on French bread, add cheese, broil to melt, save the stock for dipping.

Might be my favorite so far...

(Did these with Elk, but same idea)
4af211f013e447c5c81bb7c220236b4e.jpg
My personal favorite. Gruyere cheese, or something a little funky is a nice touch. Also do it on garlic bread.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cream of mushroom soup teaspoon of diced garlic jag of pepper and little water in crock pot with some tenderloin. Slow cook all day

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jq2

FNG
Take a roast and cut a pocket in it and stuff a mushroom stuffing in there. Then wrap with bacon to hold together. Throw it on the smoker turns out great.

French Dip.

Braise shanks until fall off the bone tender. Layer on French bread, add cheese, broil to melt, save the stock for dipping.

Might be my favorite so far...

(Did these with Elk, but same idea)
4af211f013e447c5c81bb7c220236b4e.jpg
Do you leave the bone on or do you take the meat off?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We do a lot with venison... These are what we do the most at home throughout the year (we typically bring home about 300 lbs of whitetail home from Northern Minnesota every November, so we eat it all the time).

Spaghetti, stuffed peppers, tacos, rice bowls, pizza, stew, soup, burgers, sausage, meat balls, meat loaf, nachos, meat pies, stroganoff, fajitas, burritos, quesadillas, lasagna...

My wife and I do a good job of mixing it up and changing the flavor style with good seasoning and foods that pair well with that style.

We also turn 20 lbs of our ground into smoked venison summer sausage. We throw in home grown jalapenos, smoked sharp cheddar cheese, seasonings, and the smoked venison. We give this away as Christmas presents to some friends every year who cannot wait to get it. Currently snacking on some of that at work right now. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

For shoulders i like dry rubbing with salt pepper, and garlic. Quick sear on the grill and then into crock pot or covered roasting pan with mixture of one can of whole cranberry sauce, one can tomatoe sauce, lipton onion soup mix packet and a can of coke.
Never gotten anything but ooos an aaahs.

For loin and HQ cuts, it's soy, balsamic, garlic, and spicy brown mustard. Just an hour or so for medallions. Longer for whole cuts.
Sear to med rare and melt in mouth.

4ester

WKR
A new one that our family enjoys is a simple philly cheese steak recipe.

Cook onions & peppers in a pan, add ground antelope, mule deer or elk and season with Montreal steak seasoning. Melt some provolone cheese over the top. Get a sub roll and some Hellman’s mayo and you have a great meal.

Simple and delicious.

We also like to pressure can a bunch of stew meat and ground. Makes last minute dinners easy as can be.

Ac338

WKR
Just did a bone in neck roast last weekend, one of my favorites for sure. Browned in a Dutch oven then braised in a stout beer, beef broth, and seasonings at 250deg for 6 1/2 or until fork tender. Once done I shred and debone the meat and make gravy and mashed redskin potatoes with broth. Then butter and toast french bread and pile meat, potatoes, and gravy onto bread. Family favorite and a good way to use an underutilized part of the deer.

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
If you want some “fancy” recipes get Hank Shaw’s cookbook Buck Buck Moose.

Clarence

WKR
A new one that our family enjoys is a simple philly cheese steak recipe.

Cook onions & peppers in a pan, add ground antelope, mule deer or elk and season with Montreal steak seasoning. Melt some provolone cheese over the top. Get a sub roll and some Hellman’s mayo and you have a great meal.

Simple and delicious.

We also like to pressure can a bunch of stew meat and ground. Makes last minute dinners easy as can be.

I like where you're heads at with this recipe, but this is a blasphemous version of a cheesesteak. I start by boning out a whitetail hindquarter leaving the muscles together, and "unrolling" it off the bone. Trim it very well and remove the glands in the seams. Roll it back up and temper it. (Slightly frozen). Slice on a slice as thin as you can. Being partially frozen aids this. Now you have the base for a proper cheesesteak. This meat works great in Asian stir fry and tacos also.

ridgefire

WKR
One of my favorites that is super easy is a roast in the crockpot with a stick of butter, packet of ranch and au jus seasonings and a bunch of pepperoncinis. Sounds kinda weird but my favorite for roasts.