Getting together gear

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I was supposed to have went to Colorado last year for my first elk hunt, but with all that was going on, we decided not to go.
With that being said, I’m planning a trip for next year, and I still had gear to buy before we went, so I’m getting together the rest of my gear now.
I had rushed into getting gear, and had bought some low quality gear, that I’m trying replace now. So before I waste more money on gear that isn’t what I need, I thought I would get some suggestions first.
I heard that maybe the most important items of gear was a good pack and good boots, so I went ahead and ordered a Kuiu Pro 6000 and now I’m looking at boots. I am looking at some Danner Vital 400 boots and know that some guys hate them while others like em.
im looking at the slumber jack in-season 2 tent, although I know it’s not lightweight, I want a four season tent. Trying to decide on a cook stove, I’m looking at MSR wind burner, pocket rocket, or Jetboil Flash. I will list other choices as I get to it, but would like your guys input on this.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Some gear I already have is:
Slumber Jack Ronin 0* bag
Klymit insulated Static Luxe V
Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42 binos
Leupold Rex-1600i rangefinder
Sawyer water filter
Gerber Vital Folder

big44a4

WKR
Well, I was supposed to have went to Colorado last year for my first elk hunt, but with all that was going on, we decided not to go.
With that being said, I’m planning a trip for next year, and I still had gear to buy before we went, so I’m getting together the rest of my gear now.
I had rushed into getting gear, and had bought some low quality gear, that I’m trying replace now. So before I waste more money on gear that isn’t what I need, I thought I would get some suggestions first.
I heard that maybe the most important items of gear was a good pack and good boots, so I went ahead and ordered a Kuiu Pro 6000 and now I’m looking at boots. I am looking at some Danner Vital 400 boots and know that some guys hate them while others like em.
im looking at the slumber jack in-season 2 tent, although I know it’s not lightweight, I want a four season tent. Trying to decide on a cook stove, I’m looking at MSR wind burner, pocket rocket, or Jetboil Flash. I will list other choices as I get to it, but would like your guys input on this.

I have a wind burner and lowa Tibet’s. 5 years in wouldn’t change either.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck to you on the hunt!
Boots: Kenetrek Mountain Extreme (Montana company, Italian made boots)
Tent: Russian Bear hot tent (also not lightweight but EXTREMELY well made)
Stove: Caminus - large burn chamber, good heat radiation and design reduces any chance of sparks exiting through flue. Here’s their link to check out

Danner Vital is not built tough enough for elk hunting I can tell you that. Your boots should be like army tanks! They should be leather not Cordura or anything else. The Kenetrek boots mentioned above are the type of boots you need. I’ve had a pair of Mountain Extremes for 10 seasons of hard hunting. Vitals might not make it through one. Great hikers or eastern deer hunting boots. Not elk gear.

Last edited:
OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
What insulation do you suggest in the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots? Would the non-insulated or 400 thinsulate be better for early archery and mid season?

KOK

FNG
Danner Vital is not built tough enough for elk hunting I can tell you that. Your boots should be like army tanks! They should be leather not Cordura or anything else. The Kenetrek boots mentioned above are the type of boots you need. I’ve had a pair of Mountain Extremes for 10 seasons of hard hunting. Vitals might not make it through one. Great hikers or eastern deer hunting boots. Not elk gear.
agree. danner are garbage in the hills

From a guy who has spent lots of money making lateral upgrades and trying new gear out every year here’s my pitch.

Don’t buy anything yet. Hunting and especially backcountry hunting is not a poor mans sport. It can be don’t get me wrong but still requires some significant investment.

Agonizing over gear will also take away time from more important things like learning how to call and scouting.

Sounds like maybe you just getting into hunting or chasing elk is a new pursuit. I would use what you have for a year or even two and make detailed notes on performance after every trip. What did you hate? What did you like? Then go find a product that can meet the requirements you identify. Lots of guys will come on here and tell you what works for them and most of the time those recommendations will work for you as well. You will have your own preferences though and the environment you hunt will demand certain capabilities.

Once you find the product that will fit your needs don’t make minor upgrade in between. A pitfall a lot us fall into os we cal always sell it. Well if you add up what you’d spent/lost buying and selling 2 or 3 times you paid for that end game piece like a Swaro spotter twice over. It ends up costing you a lot more and takes longer to get what you want. Some things require trial and error for body fit such as packs and boots.

Here are th top areas I would spend first. Other gadgets and high speed clothing won’t make or break a hunt in most cases.

1 Optics - buy Alpha glass (if you can’t afford just get a set of binos in your budget and start saving)
2 Boots - need to keep feet dry. I have not found I need stiff boots for elk like others.
3 Pack - fits your body
4 Sleeping Shelter and Setup - can withstand the weather during the times and area you hunt. Get a high quality pad and bag with enough r value to get a good sleep.

I’m well beyond my usual message length here so hope it has some value for you. I hope you get our next year and enjoy the woods.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
From a guy who has spent lots of money making lateral upgrades and trying new gear out every year here’s my pitch.

Don’t buy anything yet. Hunting and especially backcountry hunting is not a poor mans sport. It can be don’t get me wrong but still requires some significant investment.

Agonizing over gear will also take away time from more important things like learning how to call and scouting.

Sounds like maybe you just getting into hunting or chasing elk is a new pursuit. I would use what you have for a year or even two and make detailed notes on performance after every trip. What did you hate? What did you like? Then go find a product that can meet the requirements you identify. Lots of guys will come on here and tell you what works for them and most of the time or will work for you as well. You will have your own preferences though and the environment you hunt will demand certain capabilities.

Once you find the product that will fit your needs don’t incimintly upgrade in between. It ends up costing you a lot more and takes longer to get what you want. Some things require trial and error for body fit such as packs and boots.

Here are th top areas I would spend first. Other gadgets and high speed clothing won’t make or break a hunt in most cases.

1 Optics - buy Alpha glass (if you can’t afford just get a set of binos on your budget and start saving)
2 Boots - need to keep feet dry. I have not found I need stiff boots for elk like others.
3 Pack - fits your body
4 Sleeping Shelter and Setup - can withstand the weather during the times and area you hunt. Get a high quality pad and bag with enough r value to get a good sleep.

I’m well beyond my usual message length here so hope it has some value for you. I hope you get our next year and enjoy the woods.
Thanks, I appreciate your help. That’s kinda what I plan on, I can’t afford to get the best of everything, just trying to see what the most important items are to not skimp on. I’ve been hunting for 20+ years, but all of that has been here in the east, so no experience out west.

Venom One

WKR
MSR Windburner is good - love mine
Seems a spotting scope for CO would be extremely handy
Satellite communicators are great for keeping in touch and backup navigation - Garmin InReach / InReach Mini
CO weather is very unpredictable from what I've heard so packable rain gear would be required IMO
Whatever boot you choose, GTX would seem to be a wise option

rootacres

WKR
I have used a Jetboil and pocket rocket. Unless weight is a huge concern Id take the Jetboil for sure. Im sure the MSR would work great too.

Id look at Kenetrek, Crispi, Lowa etc. I went from La Sportiva's to Crispi and won't be going back. (Nevadas uninsulated for me) The ABSS system is great.

The last western hunt I went on was a NM elk hunt. Talking with the owner/guide, he had a bowhunter show up with a pair of Danners earlier that year. Bragged about the boots being "the most comfortable boots Ive ever owned" upon arrival. Evidently that was the last time that comment was made.

I own Danners too, they are super comfortable. Theres a 0% chance they will end up in the field with me. Crispi's are on another level. The owner of the NM outfit had Scarpas for the last few seasons, he switched to Lowas I believe.

I own a Cimarron with a SO stove. I don't plan on moving away from that anytime soon. Unless I'm solo more, then maybe going with something smaller.

P.S.
Congrats on the KUIU pack. Don't get your head spinning too much on that topic. Ive noticed some people attach their ego to the pack they use. Its strange. Ive used a few of the big names including KUIU. They are all good at that level.

TX_Diver

WKR
Get some decent base-layers. I wore cabelas long johns ($15 or so) and they were fine. I liked the black ovis merino and it's fairly inexpensive compared to some of the other brands.

Don't worry about having a shirt for each day or socks for each day, etc.

Blackovis will ship you 10 pairs of boots and you can send them 9 back for like $8 or so. If you can float the $ for a week or 2, go that route and pick the boots that fit best.

I bought a Primus OmniLite Ti stove on the recommendation of Aron Snyder but never got to use it on my last trip as I ended up not camping at all. MSR stuff is generally well regarded.

Get a good headlamp too!

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the recommendations, for you guys that tried both, do you favor Kenetrek or Crispi? And why?

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Also, how is the fit of these boots? Say if you wear a 11.5 in work boots, or tennis shoes, do the sizes run the same?