Getting Trophies back to the US from the Yukon

buzzy

WKR
Can you bring back a Dall fleshed and salted cape with you on the plane back to the states or do you need an expedidator in BC to get them to your home? Would also have either the skull plate with horns or possibly the entire skull frozen for a euro mount. Heading to the Mackenzies in a few months and just curiuos what most folks do. There is a taxidermist I have used in Edmonton that was real good and could just leave this with him to prep if I can't bring these back as luggage. Thanks

I don't know what the rules are going into the USA. If you do have to get your sheep taxidermied in Edmonton give Solitude Taxidermy a call. They are AAA. All the tanning is done in house, so the turn around time is fast. My bear rug was 5 months compared to 18-24 month estimate from others. And the quality is incredible.

wyosteve

WKR
Don't know if the rules have changed, but when I brought mine back from the Yukon, the cape was checked baggage in a duffel bag and I put the skull plate/horns in another smaller duffel bag and carried it on with me. Best to check with your airline.

mulecreek

FNG
You do not have to use an expeditor. You can bring the cape and skull as luggage. A problem may arise if the cape is not thoroughly dried. To some degree it could depend on the mood or attitude of the person at the counter. I did use an expeditor but it wasn't required. I had sheep, caribou and moose. I will say the expeditor was easy, smooth and painless. The cost was negligible given the already high overall cost of the hunt.

TXCO

WKR
I brought mine back in a tub frozen. The best success Ive had is dried and salted in a warerproof duffle. Make sure you have tags etc for customs. Its hit or miss on how they treat you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
Never had a single problem in Alberta or Saskatchewan. The customs folks do it all day every day and are very helpful on both sides of the border.