Getting Youth involved in the Outdoors

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Well I am now 40 posts in on this Rokslide adventure, so I am hoping at least some of you accept that I am not a complete knucklehead and read about what I have been doing for kids. About 6 1/2 year ago, I decided we needed to do something for the youth in our area to get them more involved in the outdoors. I belonged to a national conservation organization (chapter president) and a local group. Somehow, I got both groups on board and 1 gentlemen in particular and I took the ball and ran with it. We started an event for kids to explore the outdoors that I was hoping to get 50 kids to. We got 542 that first year. We now get over 2,000 kids to this completely free event. It features over 40 activities for kids to actually do. Free tee shirts, lunch and prizes. Not a penny out of mom or dads pocket. We live on donations, but we won't take them that day. We are a community of 14,000 and a county of 30,000. If we can do it, anyone can do it. If anyone is interested in learning more, PM me and I would be happy to share everything I know.

This was going to be our biggest year yet, but Covid hit. So we had to cancel the event. But we had all of this momentum so we had to do something. We partnered with our local school district and have done a few things that I am pretty stoked about. First, we put trail cameras out behind 3 of the schools (the schools have woods behind them). The science teachers use the pictures both as a teaching tool and a reward for their classes. The kids love it. Why aren't there trail cams behind every school (assuming there is a place for them)??? What a great project for hook and bullet type sportsmen's clubs!

Next we put docks out on the ponds behind our middle school. Now science classes can take their own aquatic biology samples and learn about hydrology and water-based life right out the back door!

Then we tackled the biggest challenge. Access to or cost of gear is a hurdle that families must overcome in order to try a new outdoors activity. We have to remove that. We are starting an outdoor gear library. Kids and families can come and checkout outdoors gear (binoculars and birding books, cross country skiis, camping gear, GPS for geocaching, ice fishing equipment, etc.). We will be adding a lot more (yes, including hunting gear....but not firearms).

I am posting this in hopes that somewhere in the Rokslide world there is a group that wants to get kids into the outdoors, away from screens and on to the road that so many of us have taken. If so, I would be happy to share all that we have learned to help you with any of these initiatives.

We do have a website and youtube channel, but not sure if it is okay if I can post that or not, so I will leave that off.

Coldtrail

WKR
Me and my crew have been doing the same thing on a much smaller scale, we put together hunting trips and keep it small. We have a system we use to pick the most deserving kids, mainly those battling life threatening illness or lost a military or law enforcement parent. We found out fast you can get as big as you want, we just liked being able to take a smaller number and make them VIPs for a few days.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to start something similar in the next few years (gonna be building a house myself in the next 18 months so focusing on that first). My big picture dream/goal is to start a non-profit that focuses on getting kids outdoors... specifically those that may not have fathers. Essentially to become a mentor of sorts to those kids who don't have a father figure. I will PM both of you to pick your brains a bit.

OP
W

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I replied to your PM and am willing to help and share everything I have. If you want to give a listen to me describe it on a podcast, check out Randy Newberg's podcast #129.