Ghar, Super Down Ultra or Super Down Pro

I'm looking for a great insulating layer for 3 rd season CO elk hunt and general cold weather wear hunting in TN and the NE. These hunts will consist of short walks followed by long seasons sitting, glassing, stand, blinds. I have a heavy jacket, not really fond of, more for work. I have 2 outer shells that are wind proof and water resistance, one with a hood, one without. I have a mid weight fleece jacket and both merino and synthetic base layers. I also have a Midway vest with permaloft black, a bit bulky but warm. Wearing the base layer wool, fleece, vest and outer shell I feel like the Michelon man! I was pretty warm down to the teens. I did use a couple of the small disposable hand warmers in my pockets.

Looking to replace the fleece layer and vest with a down jacket. I may also look at replacing the outer layer with something a bit more flexible jacket (guide DSC). This is for rifle hunting.

Read all the threads and watched enough video reviews to make my eyes bleed. Of the 3 mentioned above what does everyone like? Again this will be a layer under my outer jacket. I'm don't get cold real easy but the older I get the colder I get!!!!! I looked at a bunch of puffys at REI both down and synthetic. Have a hard time believing something as thin as a t-shirt can keep you warm!!!! Cost is not an issue.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
If cost is not an issue, get the SD Pro. It's twice the down fill of the ultra. I have the Ultra and it's pretty warm, and packs super small. I do not have the Super Down Pro, but I would find it logical that it would trap body heat even better with twice the down clusters.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'5" 215 lbs. 37" sleeves. XL fits nice. My chest is only 44" though.

Kotaman

WKR
I have all three of those. SD Pro is quite a bit warmer than the Ultra. However, it doesn’t pack like the Ultra. If having no hood doesn’t bother you, I’d go Ghar. If you gotta have the hood, go SD Pro.

Last edited:

bryan79

FNG
I have the super down ultra I think it is a great jacket but would not recommend it for longer sitting in colder weather. About froze last year in montana rifle. Never tried the ghar or super down pro but feel they would serve you better with more down. I picked up the sitka kelvin down ws hoody after last rifle season and it is really warm but is a bit heavier than than the sd pro. BTW I'm 6'1 200 and the sd ultra xl fits great. Good luck!

tdot

WKR
I like my Super Down Ultra, but it is a very thin down layer. I consider it perfect for early season insulation or an emergency layer year round. It also layers very well under a shell. If temps were consistently below freezing, I'd look elsewhere though. I'll likely add a Feather Friends jacket/pant combo for when I know I'll have an extended late season hunt.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with others that the SD Ultra is not enough for sitting for extended periods. I've used as a mid layer with merino base layer and Guide Jacket while stand hunting in the teens and single-digits. It just doesn't cut it.

But just a little exertion, and you'll be burning up. It's also great as an additional "pajama" layer in the sleeping bag to upgrade the comfort level on cold nights.

mlgc20

WKR
I have the SD Pro Hooded. I love it. Last year I was able to wear it under my shell, and over a merino base layer and a Sitka Core Heavyweight mid layer. Took That setup down to zero degrees sitting In the snow waiting for elk. I wear it with just a short sleeve merino base layer in more mild conditions. Very versatile with the pit zips.

Cody_W

WKR
I use the SD Pro and that thing is a furnace. It does not pack as small as I’d like it to though. For cold weather I would definitely pack it over the ultra.

OP
T
Thanks guys that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I thought I could throw it in my pack and when it came time to sit put it on under my outer jacket.

2 years ago I was sitting glassing for elk in wind and snow. I thought I had the right cloths. Not, froze my @#$ off. Then was deer hunting last year when the temps dropped and again froze but not as bad as I changed up some of the layers. I seemed to be missing that 1 piece that would make the difference.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ghar, and not even close

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk