Giant, Freak, Nice, Monster, Toad, Goodern...

Depending on where you live your inches could mean different things. Where I live in Virginia 150 inches could be once in a lifetime. I killed a 142 inch 8 point a few years back and have been told multiple times "you'll never get one bigger than that" etc.

Someone in florida 140 inches may be "once in a lifetime" etc. whereas people in Iowa/Kansas/Illinois pass 140 inchers several times in a season
Lots of subspecies of whitetail. A 170” whitetail is the equivalent to a 110” Coues (as an example).

cwsmith95

FNG
I've noticed a lot of older hunters, and a lot of brand new hunters, just trying to get something on the ground, just say the number of points. Lets standardize that. If you shoot a 10 point, you say "I shot a 10 pointer." and be done with it. All of these terms are what hunters say that try to justify the size of a deer. Truth be told, nobody gives a damn if the buck you shot is a mainframe 8 with 2 kickers and a broken off drop, that should've scored 158, but didn't because he broke off a couple tips. The tape measure is the downfall of hunting.
I think the tape measure saved hunting in a way

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
With whitetail I go by body size since those are my designated meat trips. If it’s big and brown, it’s down, up in northern Minnesota.

The biggest deer I’ve ever killed was an old buck who couldn’t grow anything more than two long spikes anymore. After gutting and skinning he was still over 280 lbs.

Rich M

WKR
Depending on where you live your inches could mean different things. Where I live in Virginia 150 inches could be once in a lifetime. I killed a 142 inch 8 point a few years back and have been told multiple times "you'll never get one bigger than that" etc.

Someone in florida 140 inches may be "once in a lifetime" etc. whereas people in Iowa/Kansas/Illinois pass 140 inchers several times in a season
In FL a registry buck is 100 inches. A 120 is a whopper in FL.

Funny how people call big stuff, a toad. To me, a toad is a warty frog that pees on you if you pick it up. How it ever came to be a compliment is downright odd.

When i was growing up, it was about body weight, dressed.

WCB

WKR
I've noticed a lot of older hunters, and a lot of brand new hunters, just trying to get something on the ground, just say the number of points. Lets standardize that. If you shoot a 10 point, you say "I shot a 10 pointer." and be done with it. All of these terms are what hunters say that try to justify the size of a deer. Truth be told, nobody gives a damn if the buck you shot is a mainframe 8 with 2 kickers and a broken off drop, that should've scored 158, but didn't because he broke off a couple tips. The tape measure is the downfall of hunting.
Hahaha yeah the old OMG did you here Jimmy shot a 10 point buck. Yeah Dave only shot a 6 pt. meanwhile the 6 pt had mid 20" beams and 14" g2s but Jimmy's 10 pt you can barely catch your nail on a tine.

Your doing basically the same thing with points you are with inches just very deceptively and with the thought that more points is somehow better.

I also agree with the "what it would have or could have scored" as a side note in a conversation I don't mind it but when it is like an excuse for why the deer didn't score better it is stupid.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
I once had a guy refer to a mature buck he saw as a “old salty dog”
And now it’s my favorite way to describe a 5+older buck

fatlander

WKR

Exactly this.

I live in Virginia as well. I’ve been very blessed to kill two that gross over 160 and an 8 that grosses just over 150. Each of those deer is bigger than once in a lifetime for the vast majority of folks that hunt this state. 180 in Virginia is like a 200+ buck in the big deer states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Exactly this.

I live in Virginia as well. I’ve been very blessed to kill two that gross over 160 and an 8 that grosses just over 150. Each of those deer is bigger than once in a lifetime for the vast majority of folks that hunt this state. 180 in Virginia is like a 200+ buck in the big deer states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you must hunt downeast in VA Im guessing

Terry300

FNG
I mainly trophy hunt these days.But I totally get the shoot what gets you excited.We need hunters to be excited for hunting and not discouraged by being judged by other..Just get out there and enjoy it.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m weird I think.
- nothing to write home about (spikes, 4pt)
- ah just a little ol buck( 5-6pt) picture 3
- decent little deer (6-8pt)
-a good’n ( big 6-10). Picture 1
-now that’s a stud (120” +) picture 2

Now this is just me. It’s also from my area and others may have better terminology

Attachments

• 2E7E88E7-DDEA-4372-9E98-02AC2F2B6C96.jpeg
    2E7E88E7-DDEA-4372-9E98-02AC2F2B6C96.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 11
  • AD2376F4-97EE-4BD9-90A4-A3B22413348C.jpeg
    AD2376F4-97EE-4BD9-90A4-A3B22413348C.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 32AB04ED-3755-4ED4-94C4-EFFCC8B91A0E.jpeg
    32AB04ED-3755-4ED4-94C4-EFFCC8B91A0E.jpeg
    633.3 KB · Views: 9

scwilso35

FNG
No standardization needed, in my opinion. If someone wants to call their buck "big", what of it? Last thing needed is for more reason to criticize a harvest somebody made. "Hey, man, check out this big buck I shot." "Sorry, bud,, your buck is nice, but not "big", missed it by just a few inches."

Depends on where you live. I can tell you got free that where I live if you kill a 150” buck you won’t kill another one in your lifetime. They are just very very very rare.

jedi

FNG
like stated earlier, every area is different. body size, antler genetics, quantity. its all relative to what area youre in. a 120" wt in washington is a nice deer. a 110" coues deer in arizona ( anywhere for that matter) is a huge deer. i think it just changes per location. as far as the dink, meat buck, masher, giant, monster, shooter, old gnarly mountain warrior, etc, the flavor changes depending on the day. could be talking about the same deer in 5 different conversations and the 'size' could be described 5 different ways.

side note: i very much dislike the naming of deer. i cant stand listening to anyone describe goliath or thor or elmer or.....its a deer, not a pet.